No announcement yet.

2K21 Offseason Transactions Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a bet with a friend about DJM's contract. He took the under at 66.5m. I took the over. I know the market is bad, but if DJM doesn't get more than 66.5m, I'd be shocked. He is one of the best hitters in the game right now and he plays good defense. He is also 32, though, so it is possible he can't get a 4 year deal and settles for a 3. If so, I doubt I win.

Comment

Blue Jays re-sign SP Robbie Ray for 1 year/$8 million.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I have a bet with a friend about DJM's contract. He took the under at 66.5m. I took the over. I know the market is bad, but if DJM doesn't get more than 66.5m, I'd be shocked. He is one of the best hitters in the game right now and he plays good defense. He is also 32, though, so it is possible he can't get a 4 year deal and settles for a 3. If so, I doubt I win.
        Who is DJM? D.J. Lemahieu?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
          Blue Jays re-sign SP Robbie Ray for 1 year/$8 million.
          Horrifying. Whoever is evaluating pitching should be fired and replaced with TranaGreg. In just two years, they've dropped $24 mil into Tanner Roark, $8.5 mil into Chase Anderson, $4.2 mil into Matt Shoemaker, and are compounding the Robbie Ray error by giving him another $8 mil. Only the 60 game season has reduced the contract figures, but now they're giving $20 mil in 2021 to Roark and Ray.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Horrifying. Whoever is evaluating pitching should be fired and replaced with TranaGreg. In just two years, they've dropped $24 mil into Tanner Roark, $8.5 mil into Chase Anderson, $4.2 mil into Matt Shoemaker, and are compounding the Robbie Ray error by giving him another $8 mil. Only the 60 game season has reduced the contract figures, but now they're giving $20 mil in 2021 to Roark and Ray.
            That made me LOL.
            We all know starting pitching is somewhat of a calculated gamble; while it's more money than I would have liked, it's one year - I'm ok with taking a shot on the significant upside - it was only 3 years ago he finished 7th in Cy Young voting, and he apparently significantly reworked his mechanics last off-season ... and if it turns out he can't cut it in the rotation maybe he can become an Andrew Miller type.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              That made me LOL.
              We all know starting pitching is somewhat of a calculated gamble; while it's more money than I would have liked, it's one year - I'm ok with taking a shot on the significant upside - it was only 3 years ago he finished 7th in Cy Young voting, and he apparently significantly reworked his mechanics last off-season ... and if it turns out he can't cut it in the rotation maybe he can become an Andrew Miller type.
              You're much more optimistic than me, though my main objection is there'll be plenty of talent available later that could fill a 4/5 SP role at least as well as the other high priced choices they've made, and at what will very likely be much lower cost.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Agree 100%...they have a really nice YOUNG core of hitters and are saddling them with has beens and never wases...

Go and sign a steady middle of the rotation guy like Odorizzi and the like, don't go chasing after fools gold in walk machines like Ray.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

The Big Unit had a 6.2 BB/9 in his age 28 season (Ray is 29). Now obviously Ray is not going to duplicate that path, but it's certainly not a bad gamble for one season.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Braves sign SP Drew Smyly for 1 year/$11 million,
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Theo steps down Jed Hoyer is now the President of Cubs Baseball Operations. Theo did have a year left.

Thank you Theo for our World Series!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Theo steps down Jed Hoyer is now the President of Cubs Baseball Operations. Theo did have a year left.

Letter is here: https://theathletic.com/2203590/2020...stepping-down/

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Wow, that's very surprising. Cubs ownership must have really pissed him off. I wonder which team he works for next.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            Wow, that's very surprising. Cubs ownership must have really pissed him off. I wonder which team he works for next.
                            The Cubs team is not in a good place right now. To me, they have one more year to go for it before they rebuild (either partial rebuild or complete tear down). Feels like a good time to bail and pick a better landing spot that is on the upswing.

Comment

Charlie Morton to the Braves on a 1 year, $15m deal.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Charlie Morton to the Braves on a 1 year, $15m deal.
                                Smyly and Morton for $26 Mil. I love the 1 year deals. Both have a lot more upside than typical $10 Mil + SP who are known mediocre innings eaters (guys like Tanner Roark). Anthopoulos is such a smart GM.

I wonder if this is a precursor to trading prospects to try and replace Ozuna. I would think these signings make it quite difficult to sign Ozuna, but I'm unaware of the specifics of ATL's payroll. I guess Hamels' $18M deal is done, so that helps balance the ledger.
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X