No announcement yet.

MLB 2020 Playoffs - October Madness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      And the 2020 season finishes as strangely as it started:

Justin Turner was pulled after 7 innings from Game 6 (and the Dodgers dugout) on Tuesday due to a positive COVID-19 test.
      Ken Rosenthal said on FS1 late Tuesday that Justin Turner (COVID-19) "insisted upon" being part of the Dodgers' World Series clinching celebration.

Turner was pulled before the eighth inning of Tuesday night's World Series Game 6 win when the Dodgers were alerted that the veteran third baseman had tested positive for COVID-19, but he joined his teammates on the field 20-30 minutes after the final out and even took part in a team photo on the mound. The transcribed television report from Rosenthal: "My understanding from various people is that he was told not to go on the field, or asked not to go on the field. He insisted upon it, the Dodgers insisted upon it, and that is why he was out there. And at one point, he did have his mask off. He was mostly masked, but there was a point during the picture that he did take it off." Rosenthal also stated that "this is not a case of a false positive."
      (Source: CJ Fogler on Twitter)
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

BTW, what the heck was up with Rob Manfred? It sounded like he was either shitfaced or having a stroke. I mean, I'd probably get shitfaced too if I was booed mercilessly on national TV, but he seemingly went out there drunk. Or, had a stroke after being booed mercilessly.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          BTW, what the heck was up with Rob Manfred? It sounded like he was either drunk or having a stroke.
          I'm going for hammered.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Corey Seager was named MVP of the 2020 World Series after hitting .400 with 2 HR, 5 RBI, 6 BB, and 7 runs scored.
            The Dodgers should make a duplicate trophy and send it to Kevin Cash.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Just in case you didn't see it:

Comment

And more:

Comment

Major League Baseball said in a statement Wednesday that it is "beginning a full investigation" into Justin Turner's postgame actions on Tuesday night.

Turner was pulled from the Dodgers' World Series clincher after seven innings once the team was alerted that he had tested positive for COVID-19, but the veteran third baseman decided to take part in portions of the on-field celebration anyway, at one point removing his mask for a team photo. Turner "chose to disregard the agreed-upon joint protocols and the instructions he was given regarding the safety and protection of others," reads the statement. "While a desire to celebrate is understandable, Turner’s decision to leave isolation and enter the field was wrong and put everyone he came in contact with at risk. When MLB Security raised the matter of being on the field with Turner, he emphatically refused to comply ... The Commissioner's Office is beginning a full investigation into this matter and will consult with the Players Association within the parameters of the joint 2020 Operations Manual." It's possible Turner could be facing some sort of fine or suspension.
                  (Source: Bill Plunkett on Twitter)

― Albert Einstein

Comment

"When MLB Security raised the matter of being on the field with Turner, he emphatically refused to comply "

when they write that in a press release, in that manner, they already have decided to suspend him. 100 pct.

now it's just for how long. I wonder if they wait 2 weeks to see if there are other positives (hard to predict, with a single subject, even though overall obviously this is dangerous behavior).
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the entire Dodgers organization other than Justin Turner and his wife were allowed to travel home on the team plane after testing negative for COVID-19.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Dating back to 2015, the following schneids have been broken:

2015 - KC Royals: 30 years
                          2016 - Chicago Cubs: 108 years
                          2017 - Houston Astros: 56 years
                          2019 - Washington Nationals: 51 years
                          2020 - Los Angeles Dodgers - 32 years

Comment

• A Rays employee and a wife of a player tested positive for covid

Comment

• For clarity, the player's wife failed a COVID-19 test processed on Tuesday, so it was likely either a Monday or Tuesday sample. That matches up with Turner's failed test timeline.

The Rays had a COVID-19 issue of their own to deal with as the World Series was ending, as the wife of one of their players tested positive.

The player has not been identified. He and his wife did not fly with the team back to Tampa on Wednesday night, instead renting a car and driving home. The positive test was processed on Tuesday, the day of the final game.
                              Most of the team returned home from Texas Wednesday. No other Rays personnel had tested positive as of Thursday.

I have not yet seen any confirmation about a Rays employee testing positive.

------------------------------------

Turner's testing timeline is stated here: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...i15vql8i6lsuf4

His Monday sample was tested late and came up as inconclusive. The Tuesday sample was fast-tracked and failed.

Comment

• this was posted on reddit but I had to repost it here ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X