Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting It Out There

Hey Folks-

The twists and turns of 2020 have left my consulting business in shambles. Small alcohol producers are struggling to stay alive. While this might be the time that they could use someone like me the most, they are hard pressed to justify the expense.

So I'm putting it out there that I'm looking for work. I have a wide ranging skill set and plenty of experience in a number of industries. In terms of sales, marketing, communications/content, and operations, there's not a lot I can't do. I work best in smaller companies where my wide range of skills is most valuable, but have no problem narrowing my focus to one aspect. I built my own sales department from scratch in a CPG distribution company, growing sales nearly 600% over 8 years while maintaining profitability. Before the pandemic, I was developing a thought leadership content marketing platform, doing a complete rebrand and targeting specific niche readership. This was in an industry that I had never been in previously, but I'm the type that can't do things halfway, so I learned everything I could from what I could find online and talking to others in the industry already. I'm a problem solver and enjoy the challenge of finding solutions to short and long-term problems.

If you or someone you know is looking to fill a role that is either based in NJ or work from home/virtual that might be a fit for someone like me, feel free to explore my LinkedIn profile or drop me a PM. I'm willing to do some travel if needed.

Thanks for taking the time. Hope you are continuing to plug through this crazy year with some semblance of sanity.
    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Originally posted by Long John View Post
    Hey Folks-

The twists and turns of 2020 have left my consulting business in shambles. Small alcohol producers are struggling to stay alive. While this might be the time that they could use someone like me the most, they are hard pressed to justify the expense.

So I'm putting it out there that I'm looking for work. I have a wide ranging skill set and plenty of experience in a number of industries. In terms of sales, marketing, communications/content, and operations, there's not a lot I can't do. I work best in smaller companies where my wide range of skills is most valuable, but have no problem narrowing my focus to one aspect. I built my own sales department from scratch in a CPG distribution company, growing sales nearly 600% over 8 years while maintaining profitability. Before the pandemic, I was developing a thought leadership content marketing platform, doing a complete rebrand and targeting specific niche readership. This was in an industry that I had never been in previously, but I'm the type that can't do things halfway, so I learned everything I could from what I could find online and talking to others in the industry already. I'm a problem solver and enjoy the challenge of finding solutions to short and long-term problems.

If you or someone you know is looking to fill a role that is either based in NJ or work from home/virtual that might be a fit for someone like me, feel free to explore my LinkedIn profile or drop me a PM. I'm willing to do some travel if needed.

Thanks for taking the time. Hope you are continuing to plug through this crazy year with some semblance of sanity.
    Hey brother, sorry to hear that--I hope things are good at home and if you still have my number--feel free to call anytime. I don't have any job opportunities, but I got ears.

Take Care.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I went through it for a little over a year. Finally landed exactly where I wanted to be, but it was a stressful time. Sorry that you are there now mate.

Doordash is a decent gig to make a little money. I'm still doing it just to get myself out of the house from time to time.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

it has approximately zero to do with the alcohol business, but if you see anything at https://jobs.squareup.com/ that looks useful (ignore the location tags, I don't think they matter now), let me know.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          I went through it for a little over a year. Finally landed exactly where I wanted to be, but it was a stressful time. Sorry that you are there now mate.

Doordash is a decent gig to make a little money. I'm still doing it just to get myself out of the house from time to time.
          Another part-time gig for anyone who can handle the physical job requirements is UPS or FedEx package handler. And most people can handle it if they just stick with it long enough. I've seen lots of girls, middle-aged people, and overweight people handle the job just fine after a difficult first week or two. Then again, i've seen a lot of people quit too lol. This is the time of year when these companies do a LOT of hiring. The pandemic/online ordering boom has resulted in so much additional business that both companies are struggling to staff enough people. And we haven't even started the holiday season yet so it's going to get super busy very soon. It looks like a lot of the new hires will end up with permanent jobs if they want. And no layoffs once you are permanent. Job security is a major perk.

My UPS building in New Stanton, PA is starting out new hires at $21.00 an hour for daylight and twilight shifts and $24.50 an hour for midnight shift. Shifts usually last 4-5 hours with additional shifts (overtime) often available to employees who want it. Hourly rates vary according to location so your area may have a different pay rate. Not sure about FedEx pay rates. But i'm sure their pay rates are competitive with UPS. A quick google search should give you information on job opportunities for specific areas.
          Last edited by madducks; 10-08-2020, 12:06 AM.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Another part-time gig for anyone who can handle the physical job requirements is UPS or FedEx package handler. And most people can handle it if they just stick with it long enough. I've seen lots of girls, middle-aged people, and overweight people handle the job just fine after a difficult first week or two. Then again, i've seen a lot of people quit too lol. This is the time of year when these companies do a LOT of hiring. The pandemic/online ordering boom has resulted in so much additional business that both companies are struggling to staff enough people. And we haven't even started the holiday season yet so it's going to get super busy very soon. It looks like a lot of the new hires will end up with permanent jobs if they want. And no layoffs once you are permanent. Job security is a major perk.

My UPS building in New Stanton, PA is starting out new hires at $21.00 an hour for daylight and twilight shifts and $24.50 an hour for midnight shift. Shifts usually last 4-5 hours with additional shifts (overtime) often available to employees who want it. Hourly rates vary according to location so your area may have a different pay rate. Not sure about FedEx pay rates. But i'm sure their pay rates are competitive with UPS. A quick google search should give you information on job opportunities for specific areas.
            Appreciate the thoughtful suggestions. I'm still plugging away with resumes and cover letters for the time being, but will take these under advisement if I reach the point of no return. It'll beat the heck out of working retail or waiting tables, classic fallback options for me.
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

fwiw, we've got a very lively craft brewing and cider culture up here ... mjl mentioned the possibility of moving north of border, you're all welcome up here!!!
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                Appreciate the thoughtful suggestions. I'm still plugging away with resumes and cover letters for the time being, but will take these under advisement if I reach the point of no return. It'll beat the heck out of working retail or waiting tables, classic fallback options for me.
                I did retail over the holidays... it was miserable and I treated it like purgatory for not having a job. DoorDash is completely different. I mean, I'm not trying to sell it as a solution, but it's decent to keep your head at water level. You're in independent contractor so you make your own hours, accept what jobs you want, ignore the rest... if you're not feeling it one night, just turn it off.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I have a former colleague in his early 60s who went the package delivery route after being laid off.

those companies understandably have serious restrictions on cell phone usage - which is a complete dealbreaker to many under 40. or they say that they are fine with it, but then can't live up to the rules. so "seasoned personnel" is kind of preferred.

my friend probably still has a flip phone - so no sacrifice there!

best of luck and Godspeed, Long John.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                  X