Spam the king of canned meat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam the king of canned meat.

I recently saw a commercial for Spam. It was sizzling in a frying pan with melted cheese then on a sandwich. Switch to another shot spam and eggs. Looked good sounded good. I have only had Spam twice in my life. Once with eggs and once on a sandwich. I remember liking both.

I told my wife I was going to buy some and try it. She immediately said she was out. Well today was the day. Spam, fried eggs, and toast. Looked good, sounded good, tasted not so good. Pretty salty. It is not something I will ever crave again.

The package I bought was a two pack. I wonder how long that second pack will be in the cupboard before it gets thrown out?

Or maybe I will ask if any of you have Spam recipes that you enjoy? Or Spam experiences you would share?

I ate Spam as kid. I ate bologna as a kid, too, for that matter. I have never chosen to purchase or consume either as a consenting adult.

I have never had Vienna sausages and never had a desire to try them.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      I ate Spam as kid. I ate bologna as a kid, too, for that matter. I have never chosen to purchase or consume either as a consenting adult.

I have never had Vienna sausages and never had a desire to try them.
      did u ever have a fried baloney sandwhich ? Been a long time....
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

What about liverwurst? I still have nightmares
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          We make fried baloney sliders. It is made like a grilled cheese sandwich except we add sauteed onions and fried baloney with the cheese. Really tasty. Have it about 2 or 3 times a year.

Comment

Yes....
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

What about liverwurst? I still have nightmares
              My mom is German, she made her own homemade liverwurst, and I liked it. I've never had liverwurst from the grocery store.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                We make fried baloney sliders. It is made like a grilled cheese sandwich except we add sauteed onions and fried baloney with the cheese. Really tasty. Have it about 2 or 3 times a year.
                This sounds like something from Chopped
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  My mom is German, she made her own homemade liverwurst, and I liked it. I've never had liverwurst from the grocery store.
                  I might like it now, I was a very picky water in my younger years
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher
                    This got me thinking...it has probably been 40 years since I had bologna. My kids never got to enjoy it...altough they had hot dogs when they were younger
                    Old hot dogs are not so good. They get a bit slimy.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

pizzeria near where I used to live had one called the Obama, with spam, pineapple, etc ; I had to try it once ... once ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        pizzeria near where I used to live had one called the Obama, with spam, pineapple, etc ; I had to try it once ... once ...
                        It seems to be a big deal in Hawaii. Often recipes include pineapple with the Spam.

Comment

There's a Hawaiian BBQ chain here that has a few SPAM items on its menu.

An island classic composed of a slice of grilled SPAM on rice, wrapped in dried seaweed.

Noodle soup unique to Hawaii, served with SPAM and fresh green onion.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Everyone I know from Hawaii worships the stuff. Layered with pineapple rings and baked is party food.

Most people don't wash off the jelly, which is very strongly flavored. Diced and rinsed it works as a ham substitute. The jelly will flavor a pot of beans.

Factoid, the name comes from SPiced hAM.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

There is also a SPAM museum. I would have more interest in visiting it than eating it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X