Which Pitchers to Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Pitchers to Start?

The playoffs begin in my points league. The set up this year is weird--the top 6 teams of our 14 team league are going to all play the next two weeks. Top team wins. The format this year makes me think I need to take more risks to win. I go in as the second highest scoring team in the league, barely behind #1. Generally, I play it a bit safer when I think I have the better team, but I think since I have to outscore 6 teams rather than 1 at a time, I am inclined to gamble. With that in mind, I currently have Matt Boyd and Pablo Lopez starting this week. Should I bump either risky 2 start pitcher for one of these options:

JA Happ--1 start against lowly Red Sox
    Max Fried--not sure if he will be back this week
    Carlos Martinez--looked good last game and plays lowly pirates
    Caleb Smith--Looked ok, 1 start vs Angels
    Madison Bumgarner--has been garbage all year but does have 2 starts this week at Angels and at Astros
    Nick Margevicious--another 2 start guy who has been not too horrible in a pts league--SF and Astros

I was real tempted by Happ who has been goof of late, and a start vs Boston seems like a guaranteed solid outing. But I targeted and acquired Lopez and Boyd precisely for this week and the two starts they would get. Both had looked good until their last game. Boyd had 4 good starts in a row before his last game, and he faces KC, so I'm thinking has a shot at bouncing back. Lopez ran into the crazy hot Braves team that put up 29 runs. I am thinking anyone would have had a bad game against them that day.

Anyone? Gotta decide soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Anyone? Gotta decide soon.
      Really tough call without a lot of good options. I like your thought process of taking some chances based on your set up and would probably roll the dice with the 2 start pitchers you have.

Comment

Cool. I also have Lamet, Lynn, Snell, Glasnow, Maeda, and Carrasco in there. I might have enough to play it safe, but I figure why not go for the extra starts. I may soon have Boyd and Lopez on my permanent do not draft list. I hope not, though!

Comment

I'd stick with Boyd and Lopez.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            I'd stick with Boyd and Lopez.
            Yeah, I did...Lopez scared me with that homer to Cutch...thought it was gonna be a long day, but he righted the ship.

Comment

Working...
            X