Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much will this Short-Season Affect your '21 Valuations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Isn't it well known that this is Morton's last year?
    Is it? Morton hasn't come out and said anything definitive about that.

From July 3:
    “Part of me doesn’t really want to end my career this way, if I could help it. I really don’t want to go out because of this,” Morton said. “I’d like to think that I’ve been staying in good shape, I’ve been throwing and staying ready in preparation to help contribute, but I don’t know. When you jot [retirement] down in your head, the idea of a shortened season amidst a pandemic is not the way you really imagine it. I haven’t really made up my mind about that.”
    ST. PETERSBURG -- Back in March, Charlie Morton was unsure if this would be his last Major League season. He was entering his 13th season in the big leagues and the final year of his contract with the Rays. Over the past few months, Morton -- who has been throwing

Bellinger seems to have this off and on thing going on, kind of like what Bret Saberhagen used to do. I always seems to have him on his off years. Still, I'm not sure he'll be much of a discount. Maybe he drops from a Top 5 draft pick to 2nd round.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Not sure about that, Yelich was a top-5 player the past two years, I'm sure in most leagues at least two people will be willing to pay for a full rebound.
      Exactly my point. In a normal season everyone would pick him top 5. The fact that only a few would next year could be a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnRobinson View Post
        Exactly my point. In a normal season everyone would pick him top 5. The fact that only a few would next year could be a mistake.
        He's still likely Top 5. I'd go:
        1 - Tatis
        2 - Acuna
        3 - Yelich
        4 - Trout
        5 - Betts

I guess it's conceivable he drops out of the Top 5 in favor of maybe Turner or Story, but at worst he's still Top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          He's still likely Top 5. I'd go:
          1 - Tatis
          2 - Acuna
          3 - Yelich
          4 - Trout
          5 - Betts

I guess it's conceivable he drops out of the Top 5 in favor of maybe Turner or Story, but at worst he's still Top 10.
          Soto might be #1.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
            Soto might be #1.
            Ya agree Soto needs to be on that list. Maybe Yelich doesn’t make it after you break it down this way. Glad we are doing this!

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
              Soto might be #1.
              He might, but he would probably only edge out Yelich. I think I'd still take Tatis & Acuna over him, so maybe #3 overall?

Comment

I think it all depends on career trajectories and track record. Hitters under 1000 PA that experienced a breakout, I'm mostly buying. Guys like Luke Voit, Teoscar Hernandez, Ian Happ, JD Davis, Cavan Biggio, all guys I bought multiple shares of because I thought they could reach another level. If my pre-season evaluations are confirmed, thats when I feel secure in my assessment. Even Marcell Ozuna, the one stud I grabbed in 3 of my 5 leagues, he's showing that his 2019 batted ball metrics were better than his on field production, and the real life results are now catching up. I thought Ozuna was 99th percentile in both exit velo and barrels.

I will definitely try to scoop some SSS bargains, but the "sleeper" hype on rebounders might push them higher than normal as the industry pushes "sleepers" like crazy.

Reason I bought into Voit is his 2019 limped to a finish due to injury (I think 1-32 to finish '19). So you take out those injured stats and Voit is back to crushing. I like player development narratives that I can easily identify and put in context.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

lone caveat on Voit is he turns 30 in February and is listed at 255 pounds (6-3).

not exactly a dynasty league team captain.

still, he IS raking and the injury analysis of 2019 is spot-on. .285 BA is backed by a .292 xBA, too.

I don't see red flags for 2021.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Not sure about that, Yelich was a top-5 player the past two years, I'm sure in most leagues at least two people will be willing to pay for a full rebound.
                    Yep. I traded for him to compete, then traded him away to rebuild. I think he may be kept at $53 next year.

Comment

Amed Rosario: I paid for the steals, I stayed for the garbage.

Comment

LOL on Rosario - in my 15-team mixed, I focused on OF and CIs early, and was overjoyed when I landed Amed and Elvis at what I thought were bargain draft positions. Oops.

My AL only will be a challenge to figure out keepers in - I have Pedro Severino at 3, JIglesias at 6, Rowdy Tellez at 10, Keuchel at 8, and a returning Severino at 6. I'll likely be able to keep three of the five, possibly four. I suspect Iglesias will be the first off the island as his BABIP is unsustainably high, but if I can't cut a deal to open up an additional slot, I'm not sure who to throw out next.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                        X