Clear All

his poise is ridiculous for his age.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

You guys got me thinking I did good here. Now I am nervous it will fall through. Good thing he doesn't read this forum .

Comment

Gah, just got a screenshot text from a mutual friend showing me he is asking the 3rd party if he should do the deal. Gah, this is why I didn't like that he made this offer to me now when I couldn't just say yes. I also never know how coy to be with this guy. If you say yes too fast, he always starts to worry he is missing something. I thought by waiting a couple of days, I'd saved myself from that. I guess I should have waited a couple of more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Gah, just got a screenshot text from a mutual friend showing me he is asking the 3rd party if he should do the deal. Gah, this is why I didn't like that he made this offer to me now when I couldn't just say yes. I also never know how coy to be with this guy. If you say yes too fast, he always starts to worry he is missing something. I thought by waiting a couple of days, I'd saved myself from that. I guess I should have waited a couple of more.
          Just bribe the third party to tell him to jump on the deal.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            Just bribe the third party to tell him to jump on the deal.
            Ha, I would, but he wants it to fall through, because if I don't trade Pablo, I will trade him Ramon Laureano, as I have a 16th keeper I want to keep. He knows if I trade Pablo, I will probably just keep Laureano. But this is also why the Garcia owner should not be asking him. He only did, because he is a resident Marlins fan and guru.

Comment

What’s he offering for Laureano?
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                What’s he offering for Laureano?
                Well, he offered my guy Edwin Diaz ($17) back to me, but that was before Diaz's last few games and Laureano's continued struggles. Gorman or Casas have been discussed, but I'd love to be able to give a prospect back the deal in go for Vaughn. I doubt he goes for that, though.

But more pressing, the race to the finish is tight...this is likely gonna be a photo finish. I like Laureano's underlying numbers. His walk rate is up. His BABIP suggest better days will come. But I can't help be frustrated by how poor his play has been down the stretch. If he keeps disappointing me, I'll trade him for any of those three and maybe less. He is due for extension and as much as I like him, given his performance this year I'd likely just take the $5 year next year and move on.

Comment

I wouldn’t mind Gorman at all in your format. He’s going to bash.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

He talked to another Marlins season ticket holder that convinced him to do the deal. He pinkie swears he won't get cold feet between now and the end of the season. We will see.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      I wouldn’t mind Gorman at all in your format. He’s going to bash.
                      Just did this deal--Laureano for Gorman once the season is done. We have traded Gorman back and forth more times than I can remember at this point. Not sure if this will be the last time.

My pitching has not disappointed, but my hitting really needs to wake up. I focused so much on shoring up pitching, I took my hitting for granted. Lots of cold bats all at once now.

Comment

"Just did this deal--Laureano for Gorman once the season is done."

if one of them gets hit by a bus tomorrow, can the deal be cancelled?

if so, then there is no deal.

if not - well, not something our league would allow.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          "Just did this deal--Laureano for Gorman once the season is done."

if one of them gets hit by a bus tomorrow, can the deal be cancelled?

if so, then there is no deal.

if not - well, not something our league would allow.
                          They can both be canceled, but barring a major injury I do not think either owner will back out--neither is the sort to do so after a firm commitment, barring the unexpected. I should have Garcia and Gorman in a little over a week. In the meantime, Laureano needs to wake up and Lopez needs to have one more game like his last two. If anything, they are worried I will back out. The Garcia owner texted me worried that Garcia's horrid start today hade given me cold feet. I do expect more growing pains for Garcia, but the fact that I can send him to the minors and it frees up a spot for me to keep $2 Turnbull makes it a 2 for 1 to me.
                          Last edited by Sour Masher; 09-20-2020, 09:14 PM.

Comment

They can both be canceled, but barring a major injury I do not think either owner will back out--neither is the sort to do so after a firm commitment, barring the unexpected. I should have Garcia and Gorman in a little over a week. In the meantime, Laureano needs to wake up and Lopez needs to have one more game like his last two. If anything, they are worried I will back out. The Garcia owner texted me worried that Garcia's horrid start today hade given me cold feet. I do expect more growing pains for Garcia, but the fact that I can send him to the minors and it frees up a spot for me to keep $2 Turnbull makes it a 2 for 1 to me.
                            I'd be very, very careful with a trade like this. I'd confirm with the league that everyone is okay with it. It's honestly easy to consider this a form of collusion that gives both teams an "extra" player at a particular position. You get to keep the player you have now AND you get some resource you need X days later that you can use next year. That's effectively giving you an extra roster spot. I know no harm is meant but this is very close to something that would be frowned upon in many of the leagues I've been in (we've had similar things come up and basically the answer was, just don't do that).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              I'd be very, very careful with a trade like this. I'd confirm with the league that everyone is okay with it. It's honestly easy to consider this a form of collusion that gives both teams an "extra" player at a particular position. You get to keep the player you have now AND you get some resource you need X days later that you can use next year. That's effectively giving you an extra roster spot. I know no harm is meant but this is very close to something that would be frowned upon in many of the leagues I've been in (we've had similar things come up and basically the answer was, just don't do that).
                              These two deals were done during our playoffs, a period when rosters are locked. I had Laureano and Lopez and there was no way for me to get rid of them at that point--rosters were locked. No trading was allowed. It's not like I could have given them in a deal and chose not to with a wink and a nod. None of us would do that sort of thing.

They were on my team and no deals were possible, no picks ups were possible. No official trades were possible. During this time, I was approached by two owners that liked what they were seeing and wanted to deal for the players. They knew no deals could be done until after the finals were done, but again, whether they were done a week ago or today, when they were made official, I don't see any difference at all. Again, rosters locked.

I usually refuse to engage in any trading in this period in our league, because I don't see the point. Anyone can change their mind, so why bother? But both owners were bored being out of it, and wanted to make moves so they engaged. I could have told them no, and did at first because I didn't want to jinx my team. But decide to do it, because they were bored and shopping and I'm pretty sure they would have moved on to make another deal with someone else. But again, I see no advantage for me here. I wasn't holding off on the move until after I was done with the players this year. I could not have moved them in our playoff period if I wanted to as our rosters lock at the start of our playoffs.

FWIW, the Garcia team that announced my deal with him announced two other deals he has handshake completed in the limbo period, and one of them with my playoff rival. I see no advantage for any of us in these deals, because of the rosters being locked and no one was purposefully holding off on completing the deal until after the year ended. I believe in all the deals, engagement happened after playoff teams locked. I know in my case, the Garcia owner watched Lopez pitch and fell in love, but didn't realize that love until after our playoffs had started and rosters locked.
                              Last edited by Sour Masher; 09-28-2020, 08:07 PM.

Comment

These two deals were done during our playoffs, a period when rosters are locked. I had Laureano and Lopez and there was no way for me to get rid of them at that point--rosters were locked. No trading was allowed. It's not like I could have given them in a deal and chose not to with a wink and a nod. None of us would do that sort of thing.

They were on my team and no deals were possible, no picks ups were possible. No official trades were possible. During this time, I was approached by two owners that liked what they were seeing and wanted to deal for the players. They knew no deals could be done until after the finals were done, but again, whether they were done a week ago or today, when they were made official, I don't see any difference at all. Again, rosters locked.

I usually refuse to engage in any trading in this period in our league, because I don't see the point. Anyone can change their mind, so why bother? But both owners were bored being out of it, and wanted to make moves so they engaged. I could have told them no, and did at first because I didn't want to jinx my team. But decide to do it, because they were bored and shopping and I'm pretty sure they would have moved on to make another deal with someone else. But again, I see no advantage for me here. I wasn't holding off on the move until after I was done with the players this year. I could not have moved them in our playoff period if I wanted to as our rosters lock at the start of our playoffs.

FWIW, the Garcia team that announced my deal with him announced two other deals he has handshake completed in the limbo period, and one of them with my playoff rival. I see no advantage for any of us in these deals, because of the rosters being locked and no one was purposefully holding off on completing the deal until after the year ended. I believe in all the deals, engagement happened after playoff teams locked. I know in my case, the Garcia owner watched Lopez pitch and fell in love, but didn't realize that love until after our playoffs had started and rosters locked.
                                If you can make trades once the final rosters are set the last week then why not have the trading deadline reflect this? That's what I'd propose if it's the de facto rule. Otherwise I'd follow the rules as written to avoid any ambiguity. Like I said I don't think anyone is doing anything nefarious, but once you open the floodgates of not actually following the written rules, anything is fair game.

Comment

Working...
                                X