Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peaceful Protest

Does it accomplish anything anymore?

It's really seems like it doesn't. It's easy to ignore, it's easy to vilify (even if it doesn't deserve it), it's easy to disperse and lately only seems to be the tool of the Left and Left leaning causes.

Now, understand that I do NOT equate ARMED peaceful protest with Non Armed Peaceful protest. Why? Because GUNS in the hands of protestors has seems to act as a deterrent to Law Enforcement/Counter protestors. I haven't seen ONE account of Law Enforcement shooting Teargas, pepper spraying, Beating ANY people who have been armed at protests, in fact I've seen the opposite--LEOs backing down, clearing out. This goes for ANY group of armed protestors.

Maybe it's time everyone who marches armed themselves, NOT to initiate violence, but to stave off or defend themselves and their right TO protest.

Maybe THEN, when they can't shut the protestors us with a volley of teargas et all, they'll finally start to realize they need to change things and get to it.

Now I KNOW there would be a chance things would escalate, but at least BOTH sides would be at risk of being harmed and THAT might be just what is needed to quell they rampant disregard for people exercising their rights and the flagrant glee some LEOs/SS seem to experience when they get a free shot at those same defenseless protestors.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Does it accomplish anything anymore?

It's really seems like it doesn't. It's easy to ignore, it's easy to vilify (even if it doesn't deserve it), it's easy to disperse and lately only seems to be the tool of the Left and Left leaning causes.

Now, understand that I do NOT equate ARMED peaceful protest with Non Armed Peaceful protest. Why? Because GUNS in the hands of protestors has seems to act as a deterrent to Law Enforcement/Counter protestors. I haven't seen ONE account of Law Enforcement shooting Teargas, pepper spraying, Beating ANY people who have been armed at protests, in fact I've seen the opposite--LEOs backing down, clearing out. This goes for ANY group of armed protestors.

Maybe it's time everyone who marches armed themselves, NOT to initiate violence, but to stave off or defend themselves and their right TO protest.

Maybe THEN, when they can't shut the protestors us with a volley of teargas et all, they'll finally start to realize they need to change things and get to it.

Now I KNOW there would be a chance things would escalate, but at least BOTH sides would be at risk of being harmed and THAT might be just what is needed to quell they rampant disregard for people exercising their rights and the flagrant glee some LEOs/SS seem to experience when they get a free shot at those same defenseless protestors.
    So you are saying it might be time to exercise the right to bear arms to protect yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      So you are saying it might be time to exercise the right to bear arms to protect yourself?
      I have always advocated the second amendment.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I have always advocated the second amendment.
        On this, we agree.

OTOH, I think the reason it's going armed is not advocated by protesters/rioters is I suspect they know it'll just take one person on their side unleashing rounds from a semi-automatic rifle, and the body count will be like hell won't have it. And they'll get shut down.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          On this, we agree.

OTOH, I think the reason it's going armed is not advocated by protesters/rioters is I suspect they know it'll just take one person on their side unleashing rounds from a semi-automatic rifle, and the body count will be like hell won't have it. And they'll get shut down.
          Please, the reason is they don't want to sacrifice their lives when the racist police open fire on them. Or counter-protestors, like the POS in WI. Isn't that your home state?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

On this, we agree.

Some times it takes significant loss of life to effect change. And I mean BOTH sides.

Because right now, the status quo is... White folks with guns get a pass, their protests are not met with force by the government however, people of color and those who support their causes are gassed, shot, beaten, aressted and killed.

Peaceful protestors are just training dummies for law enforcement. It's time they defend themselves.

Return the favor to those who oppress, yes I am advocating the use of force to defend themselves from all agencies and organizations that are actively involved in violence against them during their protests.
            Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 08-26-2020, 01:08 PM.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

On this, we agree.

I think I agree with this, but there's some stray words that make me not so sure. Does it need cleanup?

(not sarcasm... it reads weird to me)
              Last edited by heyelander; 08-26-2020, 12:36 PM.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

well I'm not sure where this sits in the peaceful protest continuum, but it seems that the NBA season is on the brink (again) with the Bucks boycotting today's game 5, and the raptors-celtics all but confirmed to boycott their game 1 tomorrow.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  well I'm not sure where this sits in the peaceful protest continuum, but it seems that the NBA season is on the brink (again) with the Bucks boycotting today's game 5, and the raptors-celtics all but confirmed to boycott their game 1 tomorrow.
                  Symbolic, it won't cost anyone their life and will be played later.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Symbolic, it won't cost anyone their life and will be played later.
                    true but it's not a nothingburger ... if it's one game, I agree; if it continues tho this could influence a lot of people that were sitting on the sidelines to get off their couches
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

true but it's not a nothingburger ... if it's one game, I agree; if it continues tho this could influence a lot of people that were sitting on the sidelines to get off their couches
                      Not to be argumentative, but who, of any consequence, will get up and do something they aren't already doing?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Not to be argumentative ...
                        I don't know who you are but can you give Brian his account back?

... but who, of any consequence, will get up and do something they aren't already doing?
                        I gotta believe that everyone will at some point, it's just that different people have different motivators

Comment

I don't know who you are but can you give Brian his account back?

I gotta believe that everyone will at some point, it's just that different people have different motivators
                          I hope so too, now maybe if the players said--we will NOT continue the playoffs until the shooter of Jacob Blake is Identified, arrested and charged--now THAT might get something done because THEN they're costing rich white guys money.

I can be nice when I want--you know that...or maybe that's only when I drink

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I hope so too, now maybe if the players said--we will NOT continue the playoffs until the shooter of Jacob Blake is Identified, arrested and charged--now THAT might get something done because THEN they're costing rich white guys money.

I can be nice when I want--you know that...or maybe that's only when I drink
                            honestly I'd be surprised if some kind of ultimatum like you laid out isn't put out there - several of the raptors were interviewed yesterday & this morning & they had no interest in talking about basketball at all, they sounded like they were in this for the long run

and yeah, I was just funnin' ...

edit: and now the Brewers are meeting to discuss walking out of tonight's game with the Reds

Comment

honestly I'd be surprised if some kind of ultimatum like you laid out isn't put out there - several of the raptors were interviewed yesterday & this morning & they had no interest in talking about basketball at all, they sounded like they were in this for the long run

and yeah, I was just funnin' ...

edit: and now the Brewers are meeting to discuss walking out of tonight's game with the Reds
                              edit2: the Raptors are now talking about leaving the bubble & just going home

Comment

Working...
                              X