As Seen on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Seen on TV

Do you ever buy anything on the infomercials? If so what and did it turn out good or bad?

I think I posted this awhile ago, but could not find it. We bought a Ninja Coffee Maker. It turned out better than we expected. It is still working well today. If it ever breaks I would want to buy another one.

I got up early today and hooked into the cheesy Nuwave Bravo XL infomercial. It is a Smart Oven Air Fryer. 4.8 out of 5 stars 49k reviews. I showed Mrs. Gregg the video. She promptly ordered one.

I will let you know how it turns out.

In the meantime anyone have any stories to share?

I'm pretty sure all the "As Seen on TV" products I've bought were POS's (none of which were bought by calling, but were in stores). The "Flex Tape" doesn't do as advertised, which was to work underwater. But wait there's more!! Somehow I also have a Vegetti machine, which hasn't left the box.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      I'm pretty sure all the "As Seen on TV" products I've bought were POS's (none of which were bought by calling, but were in stores). The "Flex Tape" doesn't do as advertised, which was to work underwater. But wait there's more!! Somehow I also have a Vegetti machine, which hasn't left the box.
      This made me remember that we bought that copper colored non stick frying pan in the store. It worked really well for about a year and then everything started sticking to it. My wife said it was due to us putting it in the dishwasher. I am not sure that is right. So I bought another one, threw the old one out, and now we wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        This made me remember that we bought that copper colored non stick frying pan in the store. It worked really well for about a year and then everything started sticking to it. My wife said it was due to us putting it in the dishwasher. I am not sure that is right. So I bought another one, threw the old one out, and now we wait.
        Anything that Non Stick, eventually starts to stick--except cast iron (cured) and some of the better stainless steel skillets. Copper, Teflon etc. all eventually chip and stop working. Or stop work as well as they used to.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Anything that Non Stick, eventually starts to stick--except cast iron (cured) and some of the better stainless steel skillets. Copper, Teflon etc. all eventually chip and stop working. Or stop work as well as they used to.
          Our cast iron is the go to for real cooking. It is too heavy and cumbersome for a couple of eggs over easy or a grilled cheese. I loved the copper for that.

As you mentioned (and much to my surprise) we are using my in-laws high end stainless skillet without sticking issues. When we move back home it will go in the rack for regular use.

Comment

Our cast iron is the go to for real cooking. It is too heavy and cumbersome for a couple of eggs over easy or a grilled cheese. I loved the copper for that.

As you mentioned (and much to my surprise) we are using my in-laws high end stainless skillet without sticking issues. When we move back home it will go in the rack for regular use.
            Yeah I was researching the stainless steel skillets because as you said, they can be cumbersome at times. I ended up settling for a mid priced skillet (high end is 125+) and so far so good. But I expect to be replacing it in a couple of years. Since Pam and I are going to start camping more, it may just function as our camp skillet. Eventually I will be investing in the high end stuff but I will be buying a set of them, just not right now.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              Yeah I was researching the stainless steel skillets because as you said, they can be cumbersome at times. I ended up settling for a mid priced skillet (high end is 125+) and so far so good. But I expect to be replacing it in a couple of years. Since Pam and I are going to start camping more, it may just function as our camp skillet. Eventually I will be investing in the high end stuff but I will be buying a set of them, just not right now.
              We think my Mother-In-Law's stainless is over 50 years old. Have no idea what they paid for it. Maybe a wedding gift. They passed in March. I so wish I could ask her.

Comment

Over the years, from time to time I've bought some inexpensive things from infomercials. A few years ago, I saw another inexpensive item (I forget what) that I thought I'd take a chance on. I called the number but before doing the order for the item I wanted I endured several minutes of other offers that I wasnt interested in. I kept saying no to these but they kept coming endlessly. Finally, I hung up w/o ordering the item I called about, or anything else. I swore that I'd never order anything from an infomercial again and I havent.

For the few things that I have bought over the years, most of them sort of worked but none that I remember lived up to expectations. In particular, I bought a battery operated hair trimmer once. It didnt have enough power to cut anything. I'll never buy anything w a battery operated motor again, except maybe a Tesla.

About the most satisfactory thing that I can remember buying is a set of steak knives. There was nothing special about them but I've come to really like them over the years. I guess the big attraction to the infomercial items began w the Ginsu knives. They were shown in advertisements as being sharp enough to cut thru frozen steaks, nails or cans, etc. Thru experience in preparing food for cooking, I've come to hate really sharp knives. You dont need a very sharp knife for preparing or eating food. I'll wait for frozen food to thaw out before I try to cut it and I certainly dont need to cut thru a nail w a kitchen knife. I've gotten my share of wounds from making mistakes w sharp knives. So the couple really sharp knives I have I dont use. I like my not-very-sharp infomercial steak knives because they're sharp enough for what I use them for which is mainly to cut up chicken and if you make a mistake w them you dont slice your fingers off.

Comment

We think my Mother-In-Law's stainless is over 50 years old. Have no idea what they paid for it. Maybe a wedding gift. They passed in March. I so wish I could ask her.
                  So a dear friend of the family was talking to my Wife a few minutes ago and she asked her about one of Mon's recipes. My wife says hold on minute I know right where she kept it.

Next thing I know my wife is coming in with the original brochure for the stainless steel set. It is from 1957 the year they got married. Now we are pretty sure it was a wedding gift.

The pan would cost $110.64 in today's money.
                  Last edited by Gregg; 08-27-2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

So a dear friend of the family was talking to my Wife a few minutes ago and she asked her about one of Mon's recipes. My wife says hold on minute I know right where she kept it.

Next thing I know my wife is coming in with the original brochure for the stainless steel set. It is from 1957 the year they got married. Now we are pretty sure it was a wedding gift.

The pan would cost $110.64 in today's money.
                    That puts it right where todays top of the line skillets go for.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I did a "buy one, get one free" order of Blu Blockers sunglasses almost 30 years ago.

$19.99, I'd guess, not that cheap then.

they were widely mocked, but holy crap did they work in intense sunlight.

I'm at a Cubs game in the RF bleachers circa 1993 with a buddy and his fellow Wall Street dude who had heard about our previous debauchery on said weekends and desperately wanted in.

around the 3rd inning of our first game, he is rocking some designer Ray-Bans and asks me about my shades and wonders how much they cost.

as soon as I told him, he took them off my face and - in the middle of the game - tossed them onto the warning track.

we admonished him, and he said wait, you told me that you can't get kicked out of any establishment in Chicago no matter what you do (we did have countless anecdotes by then).

the familiar usher is giving us the hairy eyeball on the end of the row. I tell this guy, "You owe me 20 bucks." he goes into his wallet and forks it over.

the usher notices that we both feel we are all square on the situation - so he lets us slide.

the shades lay on the CF warning track for the rest of the game, without incident.

good times.

my only "As Seen on TV" purchase, to this day.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Do you ever buy anything on the infomercials? If so what and did it turn out good or bad?

I think I posted this awhile ago, but could not find it. We bought a Ninja Coffee Maker. It turned out better than we expected. It is still working well today. If it ever breaks I would want to buy another one.

I got up early today and hooked into the cheesy Nuwave Bravo XL infomercial. It is a Smart Oven Air Fryer. 4.8 out of 5 stars 49k reviews. I showed Mrs. Gregg the video. She promptly ordered one.

I will let you know how it turns out.

In the meantime anyone have any stories to share?
                        I should say that I lump anything that we buy off of an infomercial into the As Seen On TV.

With that, I will tell you that our Nuwave Bravo XL showed up this Friday and we used it last night.

I purchased a 3 lb two rib Prime Rib for the test run. We used the probe, to measure the inside temperature. The intent was to cook it to 134 degrees (high end of medium rare). It did a great job and was delicious. The only issue was that it did not turn off when it hit 134 and went up to 142. This made it medium. We are not sure if we did something wrong or if the oven did not turn off.

The meat was tender and juicy with a hot pink center. Next time for Prime we will take it out immediately at 130 to let is rest.

It still was very good. Sea Salt and cracked pepper for the outside. Served with Golden Baked and an ear of sweet corn.

Tonight baked Cod, Brussels Sprouts with bacon and onion, side of pasta.

Comment

I should say that I lump anything that we buy off of an infomercial into the As Seen On TV.

With that, I will tell you that our Nuwave Bravo XL showed up this Friday and we used it last night.

I purchased a 3 lb two rib Prime Rib for the test run. We used the probe, to measure the inside temperature. The intent was to cook it to 134 degrees (high end of medium rare). It did a great job and was delicious. The only issue was that it did not turn off when it hit 134 and went up to 142. This made it medium. We are not sure if we did something wrong or if the oven did not turn off.

The meat was tender and juicy with a hot pink center. Next time for Prime we will take it out immediately at 130 to let is rest.

It still was very good. Sea Salt and cracked pepper for the outside. Served with Golden Baked and an ear of sweet corn.

Tonight baked Cod, Brussels Sprouts with bacon and onion, side of pasta.
                          A roast can increase 5-10 degrees after removing it from the oven as the heat from the surface moves inward...not sure if that is what happened here or something else ?
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            A roast can increase 5-10 degrees after removing it from the oven as the heat from the surface moves inward...not sure if that is what happened here or something else ?
                            I did not know this. I just thought it continued cooking as the temp went down.

I will take this into account on the next one. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              Correct which is why most recipes suggest allowing meat to stand for 10 ins after you take it out of the oven/off the grill

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X