For those of you who cancelled your seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who cancelled your seasons

What horrible keeper mistakes did you get saved from? I looked back at my AL-only team and I was going to keep Oscar Mercado and Sean Manaea over Kyle Lewis and Zach Plesac. (And Workman over Bassitt but that isn't quite as absurdly bad.)
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Mad Max for 44

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I would have waived a $3 Kyle Lewis.
      Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
      Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Saved from keeping Folty.

Bonus - we are reverting rosters so I can now keep the Dustin May that I cut.

Comment

For those who cancelled seasons.....are you happy about it? This has been a very enjoyable season, made even more enjoyable by the return of sports after a 4 month hiatus, despite the occasional covid postponements.

Comment

Fun idea for a thread. We are playing so I have nothing to add. I am enjoying reading it and hope more will contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              For those who cancelled seasons.....are you happy about it? This has been a very enjoyable season, made even more enjoyable by the return of sports after a 4 month hiatus, despite the occasional covid postponements.
              I don't know really. Watching baseball has been fun, and I would guess that DFS is probably okay, but compared to a normal season I can't imagine that anyone would choose to have additional random injuries that occasionally affect entire teams for weeks at a time. Like, not that my RJEL team has been good or anything, but it's hard to assess whether my team is actually good when Carpenter and DeJong and Flaherty all missed multiple weeks that are theoretically getting made up much later but with fewer innings.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                I don't know really. Watching baseball has been fun, and I would guess that DFS is probably okay, but compared to a normal season I can't imagine that anyone would choose to have additional random injuries that occasionally affect entire teams for weeks at a time. Like, not that my RJEL team has been good or anything, but it's hard to assess whether my team is actually good when Carpenter and DeJong and Flaherty all missed multiple weeks that are theoretically getting made up much later but with fewer innings.
                Yeah, no one likes those injuries, but if your league(s) would have tailored changes to meet these possibilities (i.e. expanded rosters, daily lineup moves, added FAAB runs, etc.) it's made it a lot of fun.

Comment

Yeah, no one likes those injuries, but if your league(s) would have tailored changes to meet these possibilities (i.e. expanded rosters, daily lineup moves, added FAAB runs, etc.) it's made it a lot of fun.
                  Expanded rosters and IL spots, I agree. Daily lineup aren't necessary IMO, it makes it a different game that I'd prepare for differently. And it's also 7x the time commit, something that's not ideal.

Comment

we did a 25-man "Parallel Universe" draft in April, while mothballing our Rotisserie League til next spring.

no transactions - play it as it lies, as they say in golf.

10 of my first 12 picks have been disasters for various reasons, and only 5 of my pitchers are currently active (one team is down to 3!).

4 owners drafted but have no interest in how it plays out - not a handicap in a no-transactions league. most of the others had no interest in weekly transactions, particularly given the huge volume of deactivations. so for us, this has been the best of both worlds.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Depends on the league parameters. I can't imagine a set of rules that would have made losing Flaherty for a couple weeks in a 10-team NL not crippling. Even in RJEL it's been challenging to work around (and to be fair we didn't really make significant rule changes other than making opt-outs not count against your roster), and if a team like the Yankees or Astros or Dodgers stopped playing for two weeks and you had to replace multiple guys off the waiver wire... I mean, it's possible, I just don't see it being satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        Depends on the league parameters. I can't imagine a set of rules that would have made losing Flaherty for a couple weeks in a 10-team NL not crippling. Even in RJEL it's been challenging to work around (and to be fair we didn't really make significant rule changes other than making opt-outs not count against your roster), and if a team like the Yankees or Astros or Dodgers stopped playing for two weeks and you had to replace multiple guys off the waiver wire... I mean, it's possible, I just don't see it being satisfying.
                        What makes a season satisfying for you personally? Because I'm enjoying this one quite a bit, but I understand everyone is different in what they are looking for.

For me, no season is perfect, yes there are more injuries this year, but that just means I'm more active in FAAB every week which has been fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          What makes a season satisfying for you personally? Because I'm enjoying this one quite a bit, but I understand everyone is different in what they are looking for.

For me, no season is perfect, yes there are more injuries this year, but that just means I'm more active in FAAB every week which has been fun.
                          It has been a really frustrating season for me. I had Soto and yordan out with covid related stuff, ohtani implosion and injury, Soroka out for year and I was starting 3 to 4 Phillies when they missed a week or so of games. Giancarlo predictably injured and Glasnow and Buehler starting slow to be generous. my era was over 6 a third of the way thru the season. A short season made that all impossible to come back from. Getting a quick start was very important this year. Other than that it has been great.

edit: long way of saying that the degree of player enjoyment is likely impacted by how their team started and how they have been impacted by injuries, covid, and team performance in the first weeks of the season
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            It has been a really frustrating season for me. I had Soto and yordan out with covid related stuff, ohtani implosion and injury, Soroka out for year and I was starting 3 to 4 Phillies when they missed a week or so of games. Giancarlo predictably injured and Glasnow and Buehler starting slow to be generous. my era was over 6 a third of the way thru the season. A short season made that all impossible to come back from. Getting a quick start was very important this year. Other than that it has been great.
                            summoning the Mith reverse jink...its my only hope
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              I have almost all those players on one team or another, so I've had the same issues in the general sense, but none are impossible to rebound from, and to be fair, almost every team has had the same issues, so it's not like it's giving us a huge disadvantage to run into those type issues.

I guess if you only have 1 or 2 teams and those teams have a significant number more injuries than others in your league I could see the concern. But then again, that happens to someone every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X