For those of you who cancelled your seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Short term positive results are just as likely as short term negative results. That's the nature of small sample size. So being down by a lot in the short term isn't as harmful. 1/3 of the season bad in a 60 game season is much easier to come back from, all you need is a few GOOD results in another short term sample. But you already know that.
    But again, you are assuming my team would have an era of 6 after 1/3 of a longer season, which is ridiculuous. My team has already lowered the era signifcantly. Just answer my post 58
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

If you have a horrible ERA in 1/3 of the season it's easier to improve in a short season than in a long season.
      why would you assume my team would have a 6 era after 50 games because my era was 6 after 20 games. Seems unreasonable
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        why would you assume my team would have a 6 era after 50 games because my era was 6 after 20 games. Seems unreasonable
        the facts are my team had an ERA of 6 after 3 weeks. Knowing that, is it easier to improve in 7 more weeks, or 23 more weeks ?
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

good job you trolled me! I'm done here, you did well. Can't believe I let you convince me for so long that you were serious.

Well played friend. Well played.

Comment

good job you trolled me! I'm done here, you did well. Can't believe I let you convince me for so long that you were serious.

Well played friend. Well played.
            I am trying to make a simple point which you and others are welcome to disagree with and point out where I am wrong. If you have a team that sucks for 3 weeks it is much more likely to make that up over a 26 week season than a 10 week season. Either I can't communicate that well or you disagree. Won't comment on the trolling accusation, it seems you have dug in your heels on this one
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I am trying to make a simple point which you and others are welcome to disagree with and point out where I am wrong. If you have a team that sucks for 3 weeks it is much more likely to make that up over a 26 week season than a 10 week season. Either I can't communicate that well or you disagree. Won't comment on the trolling accusation, it seems you have dug in your heels on this one
              You are far, far from a troll, I honestly thought several times in this discussion that you were joking with me and just trying to rile me up for laughs, which if it were the case I'm laughing with you not upset. Not meaning "trolling" in a mean spirited way, but in a joking manner. That's what I meant by the "accusation" of trolling me. It's an "accusation" in a similar way as if I accused you of making me laugh.

So I guess you are actually serious.

Your statement was "Too late for me...in a short season my 6 era and 4 wins a third of the way thru the season were death."

Which is what I disagreed with. If you are arguing something else, like the relative value of 3 weeks, then you moved the goalpost. This statement, 1/3 of the way through the season, is what I replied to.

My point was, 1/3 of the season is done, but it's not hard to come back from at all if you have bad rate stats. The underlying numerators in those rate stats are tiny in a relative sense. You can easily make up for them.

Brad Keller has a 0.00 ERA still. Trevor Bauer has a 0.68 ERA. Randy Dobnak has a 1.78 ERA.'

In small samples, anything is possible. So given that we are 1/3 of the way through the season and your ratios are tanked, thank goodness this is a short season otherwise you'd be done. If you were this bad through 1/3 of a regular season, now that would be trouble. In short samples, nah, you can make it up. Now will it happen? Who knows. But the point is that short samples means volatile data and the statement "6 era and 4 wins a third of the way through the season were death" is simply not true in a short season like this.

The guy in my league who complains the most about injuries told me 1 week ago that he's done for because his pitching can't keep up and he has no shot at all. Now he's in a money spot. In 1 week he went from near the bottom to in the money. No surprise though, it happens.

Small samples mean that you can move in the standings EASIER, not the inverse.

Comment

You are far, far from a troll, I honestly thought several times in this discussion that you were joking with me and just trying to rile me up for laughs, which if it were the case I'm laughing with you not upset. Not meaning "trolling" in a mean spirited way, but in a joking manner. That's what I meant by the "accusation" of trolling me. It's an "accusation" in a similar way as if I accused you of making me laugh.

So I guess you are actually serious.

Your statement was "Too late for me...in a short season my 6 era and 4 wins a third of the way thru the season were death."

Which is what I disagreed with. If you are arguing something else, like the relative value of 3 weeks, then you moved the goalpost. This statement, 1/3 of the way through the season, is what I replied to.

My point was, 1/3 of the season is done, but it's not hard to come back from at all if you have bad rate stats. The underlying numerators in those rate stats are tiny in a relative sense. You can easily make up for them.

Brad Keller has a 0.00 ERA still. Trevor Bauer has a 0.68 ERA. Randy Dobnak has a 1.78 ERA.'

In small samples, anything is possible. So given that we are 1/3 of the way through the season and your ratios are tanked, thank goodness this is a short season otherwise you'd be done. If you were this bad through 1/3 of a regular season, now that would be trouble. In short samples, nah, you can make it up. Now will it happen? Who knows. But the point is that short samples means volatile data and the statement "6 era and 4 wins a third of the way through the season were death" is simply not true in a short season like this.

The guy in my league who complains the most about injuries told me 1 week ago that he's done for because his pitching can't keep up and he has no shot at all. Now he's in a money spot. In 1 week he went from near the bottom to in the money. No surprise though, it happens.

Small samples mean that you can move in the standings EASIER, not the inverse.
                sure, it makes things more likely than if you have 50 games of crap...but you know how fantasy baseball works. If you are in 10th place after 3 weeks that isn't a problem normally. This year it is one third of the season and you have tough choices. That was really my point, a fast start for the first three weeks this year was golden....if you got off to a slow start there wasn't nearly as much time to make things up, so you had to make some hard decisions. the year is clearly unique, and wonfderul and frustrating. It is what it is, but it's not at all like any year any of us have ever played. And for people who didn't get a great start, maybe not that much fun.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

sure, it makes things more likely than if you have 50 games of crap...but you know how fantasy baseball works. If you are in 10th place after 3 weeks that isn't a problem normally. This year it is one third of the season and you have tough choices. That was really my point, a fast start for the first three weeks this year was golden....if you got off to a slow start there wasn't nearly as much time to make things up, so you had to make some hard decisions. the year is clearly unique, and wonfderul and frustrating. It is what it is, but it's not at all like any year any of us have ever played. And for people who didn't get a great start, maybe not that much fun.
                  I did not get a great start but it has been fun as I went into dump mold for the first time in this league and made trades with 3 of the contenders . Traded my dead contracts for youngsters. In a short season I only have to wait out a few more weeks and have no dead contracts left......wait you got me in the wrong thread you bastards����

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Is this a good place for me to mention that Dahl (who I gave a year extension) is under performing and hurt?
                    Wait...Dahl’s been hurt and hasn’t provided the value you paid to have him on your team? Shocking!
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Is this the thread to complain about how injuries have affected me more than my peers and I am bitter about that? If so, here goes: In my 14 team league, I lost Verlander, Paxton, and Kluber for the season, and Bregman, Morton and Caleb Smith for big chunks, and got hit hard by the Mets Covid and Phillies Covid, as I have too many players from both teams. But my leaguemates won't let me whine, cuz I am still somehow in 2nd place, cobbling together innings from waiver wire arms that have ended up decent enough, making well timed traded for Lynn and Maeda, and riding my offense that has kept hitting, even with lots of missed games. So, I guess one could say that other teams have been as affected as me, but I choose to believe my team was just so good it has overcome a greater handicap than anyone else .

But one thing that will haunt me to my grave--I traded Bauer to the team in 3rd in the offseason for Paxton and a prospect in the preseason. Bauer has dominated and Paxton gave me nothing but bad stats. I feel compelled to go all in to win no matter the costs, because if I end up losing by the difference between those two, I will have nightmares all offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Is this the thread to complain about how injuries have affected me more than my peers and I am bitter about that? If so, here goes: In my 14 team league, I lost Verlander, Paxton, and Kluber for the season, and Bregman, Morton and Caleb Smith for big chunks, and got hit hard by the Mets Covid and Phillies Covid, as I have too many players from both teams. But my leaguemates won't let me whine, cuz I am still somehow in 2nd place, cobbling together innings from waiver wire arms that have ended up decent enough, making well timed traded for Lynn and Maeda, and riding my offense that has kept hitting, even with lots of missed games. So, I guess one could say that other teams have been as affected as me, but I choose to believe my team was just so good it has overcome a greater handicap than anyone else .

But one thing that will haunt me to my grave--I traded Bauer to the team in 3rd in the offseason for Paxton and a prospect in the preseason. Bauer has dominated and Paxton gave me nothing but bad stats. I feel compelled to go all in to win no matter the costs, because if I end up losing by the difference between those two, I will have nightmares all offseason.
                        Be a better manager !!

Just kidding, totally the right thread for this.

Edit: wait, if your team is still doing well this is not at all the right thread
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I will say, I was the biggest advocate to kill the season in all of my leagues. After all of the leagues decided to play through, its been a nice distraction, and I'm now glad they didn't listen to me.

I've had some issues. Lots of covid players, but it is what it is. I'm trying to trade for depth to accommodate extra injury stints, but it gets complicated by strict salary caps.

I recently gave up on $31 Buxton and $16 Calhoun, needed the cap space in a deal where I gave Adell for $50 Degrom, $34 Nola, and $1X Teoscar Hernandez.... really didn't expect to deal big future pieces for title runs, but I've surprised myself. 4 of 5 leagues I'm going for it, several upgrade trades in 3 of those 4.... struggling to deal in my new dynasty startup, but I built such an awesome team there with some big reaches that have worked out. Especially Cavan Biggio in OBP, and Luke Voit grabbed mid rounds. I had planned to compete in 2021 with a fairly early pick of Chris Sale, but my current big 3 has been pretty good... Giolito, Gallen, Darvish, so thats been super fun. Not sure I'll have the guts to deal in a keep forever format with no salaries, but happy to hopefully get a money finish in a 20 teamer... fingers crossed.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                          X