Trading Acuna in a Dynasty League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading Acuna in a Dynasty League

Do you even consider it? And if so, what kind of return would YOU expect (or would be a reasonable expectation)
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Never say never. It would take a lot, and would have to be headlined by a young guy already a top 3 round talent, at least.

In my league, Acuna was traded this preseason, basically straight up for Tatis. Many thought the Acuna owner was nuts. They still do, but only because he then flipped Tatis for Lux and Alonso, then Alonso for Bryant and Brailyn Marquez, then Bryant for Forrest Whitley and Noelvi Marte. And then Lux for Brendan McKay and Jazz Chisholm.

He was trying to trade one elite guy that under our rules, he had cheap for 6 years for a total rebuild. In the end, he dealt Acuna in a 14 team league for a lot of depth. I would have just stopped at getting Tatis. At this point though, I doubt many would give Tatis one for one for Acuna.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Never say never. It would take a lot, and would have to be headlined by a young guy already a top 3 round talent, at least.

In my league, Acuna was traded this preseason, basically straight up for Tatis. Many thought the Acuna owner was nuts. They still do, but only because he then flipped Tatis for Lux and Alonso, then Alonso for Bryant and Brailyn Marquez, then Bryant for Forrest Whitley and Noelvi Marte. And then Lux for Brendan McKay and Jazz Chisholm.

He was trying to trade one elite guy that under our rules, he had cheap for 6 years for a total rebuild. In the end, he dealt Acuna in a 14 team league for a lot of depth. I would have just stopped at getting Tatis. At this point though, I doubt many would give Tatis one for one for Acuna.
      I think that it's going to be very close over the next decade...Both have great power, both have great speed, and both play in good line-ups with managers who let them do their thing.

But going back to Doig's question, it would have to be a player who was going to be a superstar, and some extra spice to the mix. Dealing Acuna for a couple of players who were occasional All-Stars, but not perennial All-Stars, wouldn't do it for me. I never want to be on the losing side talent-wise in a deal. I'll happily do what I consider to be an even swap that helps both clubs in areas where they need it. But I never want to do quality for quantity. Which is exactly what your friend appears to have done.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I would want a proven major league hitter plus a proven major league pitcher with both seemingly being on the verge of a big breakout plus a minor league prospect or two. Yeah, that's a lot. But, Acuna is probably the heir apparent to Trout as being the #1 overall.

Maybe something like Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow, Shane Baz, plus another prospect.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

It's funny how the enthusiasm for Acuna is out the roof, unless you're the one trying to trade for him and then it's...well, have this handful of candy corn little guy--I'm like--TWO full size snickers at the very least.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            It's funny how the enthusiasm for Acuna is out the roof, unless you're the one trying to trade for him and then it's...well, have this handful of candy corn little guy--I'm like--TWO full size snickers at the very least.
            I have found that you can be a very difficult guy to deal with, at least for me. I look at some of your deals and say "why couldn't I get some of that"? And we just never come close for some reason. Value players differently? I guess, but in the end I think that we're pretty close on valuation. Maybe we've never got each-other in that weak moment where one of us says "fuck it, I need to do a deal". We've got to get to that moment someday, don't we? And it's not like we're in a shortage of leagues together...

Anyway, a hell of a job turning things around in the RJEL...you steamrollered right over me and your hot on Andy's tail. Lots of good moves on your part...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              I have found that you can be a very difficult guy to deal with, at least for me. I look at some of your deals and say "why couldn't I get some of that"? And we just never come close for some reason. Value players differently? I guess, but in the end I think that we're pretty close on valuation. Maybe we've never got each-other in that weak moment where one of us says "fuck it, I need to do a deal". We've got to get to that moment someday, don't we? And it's not like we're in a shortage of leagues together...

Anyway, a hell of a job turning things around in the RJEL...you steamrollered right over me and your hot on Andy's tail. Lots of good moves on your part...
              I find that making a deal in the Keep forever dynasty changed how I approach the deal-IE; Acuna, I can literally own him his entire career and when 30/30 is the disappointing season, it's hard to Part with him for less that a serious immediate upgrade or a little less than Acuna type stat sheet PLUS a young guy who might come close to Acuna eventually. I had offers of Rendon, Ozuna and Corbin, but I don't need the pitching--I asked for Rendon and Adell. Got told No. SOK, I get Acuna back this weekend and it might be a great thing I didn't get Adell and Rendon. I was offered Trea Turner and others as well, but again--I wanted Trea AND a guy like L Roberts. No dice. Again, sok. I'll just have to find a way to live with Acuna

As for RJEL. I had no choice--NO ONE was giving anything away for X contracts, not picks, not prospects nothing like they usually do. I figured, collect as many X contracts as I can--If the season cancels pre 35 (which it doesn't look like it) I have an Excellent group of keepers to set me up for 21 and deal for picks/prospects. If it doesn't cancel, at least i have done all I can to cash and win or lose, I know I'll probably be entering a 3 year rebuild. BUT I can't take all the credit, Andy asked Why I was dumping and then wouldn;t pay my price for Clevinger and others --so Blame him Thanks for the kudos BTW and it's not over yet--people are still shaking and baking so ya never know.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

20 tm dynasty w/massive farms, massive rosters. We all are new to these 2 new leagues, I am pumped to be part of it. I have traded with you, gith over the years in 12TO, and did have a smooth trade earlier in yr landing Betts, my hands down fav current player. We had a small communication mis step, I can tell from how you are presenting my 4 player offer of Rendon, Ozuna, your pick of either Corbin or Z Wheeler, and a closer T Rogers (you left closer out) was weak.

You didnt say, hey I dont really need pitching, what can you sub in for that. In my head the pitching component was 1/2 the deal. You came back with a particular wording that killed the talks, when you said any deal for Acuna would have to start with Rendon and Adell and go from there. As in, I was thinking you needed like a 4 player deal with Rendon and Adell as opener.

I mean, part of it is I have a respect for the league, and the time we all put in the long draft, I dont want to shift an obscene amount of value that will piss off 18 people. I did 2 big deals last night, sending away J Bell, Ozuna, Wheeler, Corbin, and getting back M Soroka, Liberatore, H Bishop, A Vaughn, A Puk. Basically less than I needed to give you for the 1 player, Acuna, I got back 5 pieces I am really jazzed about. I think you are fine to trade with, we have done a number of moves over the years, but part of the trading isnt the value of players, but the communication, and sometimes there are missed signs. Dealing Acuna is like trying to buy Mt Rushmore, its too risky, too big a project as what are the liabilities, what protections are there that some nutjob rich entitled buyer will want to add his face to it. It is just easier all around to make more manageable sized deals.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                  20 tm dynasty w/massive farms, massive rosters. We all are new to these 2 new leagues, I am pumped to be part of it. I have traded with you, gith over the years in 12TO, and did have a smooth trade earlier in yr landing Betts, my hands down fav current player. We had a small communication mis step, I can tell from how you are presenting my 4 player offer of Rendon, Ozuna, your pick of either Corbin or Z Wheeler, and a closer T Rogers (you left closer out) was weak.

You didnt say, hey I dont really need pitching, what can you sub in for that. In my head the pitching component was 1/2 the deal. You came back with a particular wording that killed the talks, when you said any deal for Acuna would have to start with Rendon and Adell and go from there. As in, I was thinking you needed like a 4 player deal with Rendon and Adell as opener.

I mean, part of it is I have a respect for the league, and the time we all put in the long draft, I dont want to shift an obscene amount of value that will piss off 18 people. I did 2 big deals last night, sending away J Bell, Ozuna, Wheeler, Corbin, and getting back M Soroka, Liberatore, H Bishop, A Vaughn, A Puk. Basically less than I needed to give you for the 1 player, Acuna, I got back 5 pieces I am really jazzed about. I think you are fine to trade with, we have done a number of moves over the years, but part of the trading isnt the value of players, but the communication, and sometimes there are missed signs. Dealing Acuna is like trying to buy Mt Rushmore, its too risky, too big a project as what are the liabilities, what protections are there that some nutjob rich entitled buyer will want to add his face to it. It is just easier all around to make more manageable sized deals.
                  yeah, my Bad--I should have been clear--I always look to add good players, I just didn't feel the urgency for pitching like I did(do) for hitting. yeah Putting all your eggs in the Acuna (or anyone) basket is risky, but in a forever Dynasty I try to keep the extra years I have with one player in mind and Ronald is a baby. Lots of years left. (hopefully) Your offer was fair, more than--Just not what I needed to pull the trigger. You know I'll make a fair deal (Betts), but like Steve said--I'm an odd duck when it comes to trading so, thanks for trying at least. If you want to revisit Rendon, Adell let me know

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    yeah, my Bad--I should have been clear--I always look to add good players, I just didn't feel the urgency for pitching like I did(do) for hitting. yeah Putting all your eggs in the Acuna (or anyone) basket is risky, but in a forever Dynasty I try to keep the extra years I have with one player in mind and Ronald is a baby. Lots of years left. (hopefully) Your offer was fair, more than--Just not what I needed to pull the trigger. You know I'll make a fair deal (Betts), but like Steve said--I'm an odd duck when it comes to trading so, thanks for trying at least. If you want to revisit Rendon, Adell let me know
                    I have a similar discussion with someone in my league. I tell him just because a trade is "fair" on paper does not mean I want to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      I think that it's going to be very close over the next decade...Both have great power, both have great speed, and both play in good line-ups with managers who let them do their thing.

But going back to Doig's question, it would have to be a player who was going to be a superstar, and some extra spice to the mix. Dealing Acuna for a couple of players who were occasional All-Stars, but not perennial All-Stars, wouldn't do it for me. I never want to be on the losing side talent-wise in a deal. I'll happily do what I consider to be an even swap that helps both clubs in areas where they need it. But I never want to do quality for quantity. Which is exactly what your friend appears to have done.
                      Tatis has been impressive, but I don't think the average is real. Nobody keeps that BABIP up, or at least nobody in MLB history has. His career XBA is .270, which seems about right. I would still easily favor Acuna, but I might be biased, too. But I would have a good statistically based argument for it. Then again, Tatis isn't that far behind, either, and both are crazy young. Hard to go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X