Biden's VP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    He's said he only wants one term... whoever he picks has a leg-up for the 2024 nomination. Just handing the presidency to the GOP 4 years from now would not be viewed well.
    I'm not sure he ever actually said that. It was reported but when I looked into it, his comments were not so straightforward.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      I'm not sure he ever actually said that. It was reported but when I looked into it, his comments were not so straightforward.
      well, I can dream, can't I?
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Just very encouraging that Biden picked Harris. I would have felt any other pick was window dressing, or checking off boxes on some weighted checklist of what was expected.

This pick, the smart, tenacious prosecutor who can in real time put pressure in any back and forth is such a positive. Some vp picks in prior runs were not that important, in this case, this is going to be a shared partnership in governance where Biden leans heavily on the sharp vp. And while every presidency there is a greater than zero percent chance that term wont be completed, in this case, it would not even be a surprise of full biden term isnt completed. No other vp pick in our lifetimes was more important. Who can press better than Harris? Just very encouraging, and such a boost to Biden chances which no other pick would have had, on what was already a building to an avalanche Biden edge.

Comment

And she also comes off as phony. I know people who think she was an awful choice. As I said, I'm ok with her, but to act like she was the only good choice is silly, particularly given her performance during her failed bid.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

And she also comes off as phony. I know people who think she was an awful choice. As I said, I'm ok with her, but to act like she was the only good choice is silly, particularly given her performance during her failed bid.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I'm with you. She is smart, and tough, but she came off as phony to me too. I am not mad at the pick. She will destroy Mike Pence. But yeah, I am with you on the phony feel (which may just be in contrast to Biden who is pretty high on the authentic spectrum for politicians).

ETA: Maybe it is like watching a comedian try out material and going to the next club and do it again. I have seen Harris do her material different times, the set one liners, and sometimes they seemed forced in debates, but most politicians are guilty of that.

Comment

Since you are coming off as oddly aggressive towards me... Harris certainly does not come off as phony that I have ever read, though I would be open to reading whatever polling you post. You are using the standard trump tool of attributing to some other voice your own opinion "I know people who think she was an awful choice."

You mischaracterized my position as Harris being only good choice. Of course this is inaccurate, what I said, was "I would have felt any other pick was window dressing, or checking off boxes on some weighted checklist of what was expected. " See, I am not saying, others feel anyway. I am owning, I would have felt other choices were formulaic, and I am encouraged, as in what I said. I have had this experience with you before where I said something my clear position, but you misunderstand, and even if I again point out what I said will continue to insist it is something else. This is a good day, though I can see you wish to move it negative for reasons known to only yourself.

Comment

Stand by a prior post of mine, where again, I point out others for vp are fine but Harris my preference, "Other vp choices are fine, but if it is Harris, it will be not at all because Biden feels he could be buddies with them, but because of perceived toughness in clawing us back from absurdity."

As a further clear observation. Harris time in senate where she has had opportunity to question be it sc nominee, or Sessions, or Barr, or whatever exec, she again and again demonstrates ability to adjust on fly to responses just give. Again and again, we see other senators asking same questions, unable to process info at that time, while Harris thinks on her feet in a way beyond the common senator. This makes sense for a former prosecutor and DA, and someone who is solidly in her mental acuity prime. That she had a shortened presidential run cut short due to lack of funds, Harris made great use of the exposure to demonstrate she is just a step faster than most of her peers. That I am pumped about a pick, maybe that isnt a reason to sour.

Comment

I guess it's my mistake for misunderstanding that your description of any other VP as being "window dressing" was a positive? Besides, Harris herself checked off several boxes (female, POC) and has been the expected pick all along. I said I'm ok with her, but I have friends who think she's a terrible pick, so now I'm acting like Trump?

Bizarre response, but whatever.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

She's vetted, has been on the big debate stage and not fallen over herself, has held multiple state wide offices in the largest state in the country. I would have been comfortable with Harris, Rice or Duckworth. Whitmer would have been excellent before the Black Lives Matter gained serious momentum and became an issue Biden could not avoid and add that too Biden's ability to make gaffes in terms of Black voters he had to to take a woman of color. VP picks don't win elections, but if he had taken Whitmer or Warren it would have been complicating matters for no reason. Harris is a solid pick she won't hurt him and probably won't help him but keeps Biden exactly where he needs to be. Biden brings in the rust belt and Harris can drive out the Black vote.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                        She's vetted, has been on the big debate stage and not fallen over herself, has held multiple state wide offices in the largest state in the country. I would have been comfortable with Harris, Rice or Duckworth. Whitmer would have been excellent before the Black Lives Matter gained serious momentum and became an issue Biden could not avoid and add that too Biden's ability to make gaffes in terms of Black voters he had to to take a woman of color. VP picks don't win elections, but if he had taken Whitmer or Warren it would have been complicating matters for no reason. Harris is a solid pick he won't hurt him and probably won't help him but keeps Biden exactly where he needs to be. Biden brings in the rust belt and Harris can drive out the Black vote.
                        Plus, she'll be tough to beat in 24, even if Haley runs.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

She's vetted, has been on the big debate stage and not fallen over herself, has held multiple state wide offices in the largest state in the country. I would have been comfortable with Harris, Rice or Duckworth. Whitmer would have been excellent before the Black Lives Matter gained serious momentum and became an issue Biden could not avoid and add that too Biden's ability to make gaffes in terms of Black voters he had to to take a woman of color. VP picks don't win elections, but if he had taken Whitmer or Warren it would have been complicating matters for no reason. Harris is a solid pick she won't hurt him and probably won't help him but keeps Biden exactly where he needs to be. Biden brings in the rust belt and Harris can drive out the Black vote.
                          You think Harris moves increases the black vote for Biden? He seems to have more support than she does in the black community. I don't see her helping anywhere, but as you say, she will not hurt, either. And she has lots of experience and political chops. It will be fun watching her debate Pence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            You think Harris moves increases the black vote for Biden? He seems to have more support than she does in the black community. I don't see her helping anywhere, but as you say, she will not hurt, either. And she has lots of experience and political chops. It will be fun watching her debate Pence.
                            I think it is unclear what Black voters nationally will think of her here and I see no reason it does not motivate them. In the primary she never gained traction but I do not think that means she doesn't appeal to black voters...

Buried inside a midsummer report for Pete Buttigieg’s campaign outlining his own strengths and weaknesses, a few lines crystallized one of the most important developments of the 2020 presidential race: black voters’ relative lack of interest in the black candidates.

“They see potential in her,” Buttigieg’s pollster wrote about Kamala Harris, after interviewing groups of black voters — “but do worry that America won’t elect a black woman.” And for many, Harris’ June debate criticism of Joe Biden on racial issues did not feel sincere.

Here are her 2016 exit polls in her Senate race in CA...

Full exit-poll data on how Americans voted, including by race, age, gender and education level.

Exit polls aren't exact science but she got almost 80% of the black vote.

I am not a black man and I don't know that we have any posting in this area but I think the chance to put the first black woman in the executive branch will drive black women. If he had picked a white woman I think this could have all been complicated and now it isn't. Secondly Trump hasn't figured out a good attack for her. If he says she is too law and order what is he? If she is too moderate for Dems what is he? He can call her attacks on Biden in the primary debate nasty but whatever. I am happy with this pick.

Comment

So, what did i win?
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I think it is unclear what Black voters nationally will think of her here and I see no reason it does not motivate them. In the primary she never gained traction but I do not think that means she doesn't appeal to black voters...

Buried inside a midsummer report for Pete Buttigieg’s campaign outlining his own strengths and weaknesses, a few lines crystallized one of the most important developments of the 2020 presidential race: black voters’ relative lack of interest in the black candidates.

“They see potential in her,” Buttigieg’s pollster wrote about Kamala Harris, after interviewing groups of black voters — “but do worry that America won’t elect a black woman.” And for many, Harris’ June debate criticism of Joe Biden on racial issues did not feel sincere.

Here are her 2016 exit polls in her Senate race in CA...

Full exit-poll data on how Americans voted, including by race, age, gender and education level.

Exit polls aren't exact science but she got almost 80% of the black vote.

I am not a black man and I don't know that we have any posting in this area but I think the chance to put the first black woman in the executive branch will drive black women. If he had picked a white woman I think this could have all been complicated and now it isn't. Secondly Trump hasn't figured out a good attack for her. If he says she is too law and order what is he? If she is too moderate for Dems what is he? He can call her attacks on Biden in the primary debate nasty but whatever. I am happy with this pick.
                                Yeah, I am sure she appeals to Black voters, but I am not sure she appeals to more black voters than Biden does. And since most of Biden's other potential picks were also women of color, I am not sure Harris specifically moves the needle on the Black vote more than one of them would have. Does she bring out more black women than Susan Rice would have? I don't think Biden's picking her has to do with her helping him win as much as ensuring he doesn't help him lose. Also, it seems his preference for someone with Senate experience won out. Whatever the case, I agree, she wasn't a bad pick. Not my first choice, and I do wonder if VP is the best position for her if she wants to make a 2024 run. But now is all about 2020. I like the was vetted in the primary process. I am hopeful no big surprises are coming for her, and I might have worried about that some for some of the other candidates that have not been through the primary fires.

Comment

Working...
                                X