The "Greatest One Hit Wonder" Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Whichever is easier for you. Have we made a ruling on the bands like Devo that really weren't one-hit wonders?
    I dont get the argument about Devo even slightly. They had one hit. They categorically fit the definition.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Making a 2nd form would probably be easier.
      Should we move forward with that now or wait?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        Should we move forward with that now or wait?
        Maybe wait until tomorrow morning.

One we forgot was perhaps the most successful one hit wonder of all time, even if I doubt anyone would have voted for it - -"You Light up My Life" by Debby Boone. Totally cringeworthy, but still, it spent 10 weeks at #1 in 1977.

Also, one I just heard on the radio the other day and totally forgot about it: "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell.

Comment

Maybe wait until tomorrow morning.

One we forgot was perhaps the most successful one hit wonder of all time, even if I doubt anyone would have voted for it - -"You Light up My Life" by Debby Boone. Totally cringeworthy, but still, it spent 10 weeks at #1 in 1977.

Also, one I just heard on the radio the other day and totally forgot about it: "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell.
          OK...wouldnt the Rockwell song fall under the Layla/Clapton rule with Michael Jackson?

Comment

I dont get the argument about Devo even slightly. They had one hit. They categorically fit the definition.
            Because IMO, genuine "one-hit wonders" don't have discographies like their's:

The band have released nine studio albums, ten extended plays, twelve compilation albums, six live albums, one soundtrack album and twenty five singles.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

OK...wouldnt the Rockwell song fall under the Layla/Clapton rule with Michael Jackson?
              Well, he just sang backup on that one particular song, so I would say no. BTW, Rockwell is actually the son of Motown founder Berry Gordy.

Comment

The band have released nine studio albums, ten extended plays, twelve compilation albums, six live albums, one soundtrack album and twenty five singles.
                There are tons of great bands/artists who had one (or none) hits. I just cant see the argument just because they have a bunch of albums, and that you like them too much to call them a one-hit wonder. 8 people disagree of the 12 who answered

Comment

There are tons of great bands/artists who had one (or none) hits. I just cant see the argument just because they have a bunch of albums, and that you like them too much to call them a one-hit wonder. 8 people disagree of the 12 who answered
                  I could see the argument for it, even if I did vote for them. Jimmy Buffett has had only one US pop hit, but he's not a one hit wonder. But whatever, we can leave them.

Comment

I could see the argument for it, even if I did vote for them. Jimmy Buffett has had only one US pop hit, but he's not a one hit wonder. But whatever, we can leave them.
                    Not sure why Im going to the mat for it frankly. I need to have my head examined

Comment

Right, I voted for them too.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        So are we supposed to vote on our top 17 (of 2 vote songs) of these 36 and post them here?
                        For what it's worth (and not saying I like all of them) this is the 17 of 36 I picked.

52 Brownsville Station - Smokin' in the Boys Room (1973) 2

54 Eddy Grant – Electric Avenue (1982) 2
                        55 Evanescence - Bring Me to Life (2003) 2

60 Left Banke - Walk Away Renee (1966) 2

62 Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown (1980) 2
                        63 Little Feat - Dixie Chicken (1973) 2
                        64 Marc Cohn - Walking in Memphis (1991) 2

68 Patrick Hernandez - Born to Be Alive (1979) 2

69 RB Greaves - Take a Letter Maria (1970) 2

73 Semisonic - Closing Time (1998) 2
                        75 Split Enz - I Got You (1980) 2

76 Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World (1971) 2

79 The McCoys - Hang on Sloopy (1965) 2
                        80 The Trashmen - Surfin Bird (1963) 2
                        81 The Tubes - She's a Beauty (1983) 2
                        82 Thunderclap Newman - Something in the Air (1969) 2

84 Toni Basil - Mickey (1981) 2

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          For what it's worth (and not saying I like all of them) this is the 17 of 36 I picked.

52 Brownsville Station - Smokin' in the Boys Room (1973) 2

54 Eddy Grant – Electric Avenue (1982) 2
                          55 Evanescence - Bring Me to Life (2003) 2

60 Left Banke - Walk Away Renee (1966) 2

62 Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown (1980) 2
                          63 Little Feat - Dixie Chicken (1973) 2
                          64 Marc Cohn - Walking in Memphis (1991) 2

68 Patrick Hernandez - Born to Be Alive (1979) 2

69 RB Greaves - Take a Letter Maria (1970) 2

73 Semisonic - Closing Time (1998) 2
                          75 Split Enz - I Got You (1980) 2

76 Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World (1971) 2

79 The McCoys - Hang on Sloopy (1965) 2
                          80 The Trashmen - Surfin Bird (1963) 2
                          81 The Tubes - She's a Beauty (1983) 2
                          82 Thunderclap Newman - Something in the Air (1969) 2

84 Toni Basil - Mickey (1981) 2
                          Just wait til Monday and then you can pick 5

Comment

This is 100% my rationale as well. Now, I voted for them (and Nick Lowe), because if they're on the ballot, I'm going to judge their song on the same grounds as anyone else's, but I don't think they should be on the ballot. The top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 is not the only way artists get exposure. Especially these days.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

As the final seeder, I'm going to make a few executive decisions.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Revo- Im going to be super busy tomorrow, and nobody beyond the 12 have replied, so here is the second form with the 37 songs that got 2 votes. All 12 people who voted should go in and pick the 5 you like best on this list. Then DMT can pick the top 17 (or 18 or 19 depending on who gets tossed out of the top 47) to complete the 64 and do the rankings.

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_nX...aKnX0Q5ZjbE_TQ

Comment

Working...
                                X