The "Greatest One Hit Wonder" Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
    I gave Baby Got Back a little love, although I don't expect them to pull off the 16-1 upset.
    I voted Lady Marmalade and something in the air vs. the 1 and 3 seeds.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      I'll be pretty surprised if any 1-3 seeds go down but there are a couple 4 & 5s I see as vulnerable.
      I voted for 3 of the 4 #12 seeds.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
        I gave Baby Got Back a little love, although I don't expect them to pull off the 16-1 upset.
        I did too.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          I voted for 3 of the 4 #12 seeds.
          At least one 12 seed advancing is a given.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Baby Got Back over Brandy?!? That's absurd.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              I did too.
              that's 3 votes for the #16
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Baby Got Back over Brandy?!? That's absurd.
                Brandy is a fine girl, but she ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  Disappointed in my Big Country first round matchup. Cannonball is one of my favorites on the list. Conversely, whatever Closing Time is up against is my second least favorite song on the list, only beating out Closing Time.
                  I definitely had some matchups where I didn't want to vote for either, and some where I didn't want to vote against either. But that's how these things go. I voted for Cannonball but it was one of my tougher calls.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I'll be pretty surprised if any 1-3 seeds go down but there are a couple 4 & 5s I see as vulnerable.
                    I voted for a few 14s, 15s and 16s. In fact I may have voted for more songs in the 9-16 group than in the 1-8 group. Probably was close.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      I voted for a few 14s, 15s and 16s. In fact I may have voted for more songs in the 9-16 group than in the 1-8 group. Probably was close.
                      Yeah, I think I liked quite a few 9-16 group.
                      I couldn't get on board with any of the 3 seeds.

Comment

• Interesting note about the #3 seed, Bittersweet Symphony: about 10 yrs ago I had a meeting at ABKCO records to work on their pension plan. We met in their conf room, which had 100s of gold records on the wall, and the one right next to me was Bittersweet Symphony — but it was awarded to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. So afterwards, I looked up why that was, and it turned out the Stones sued them for copyright infringement and they got full writing credits.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Interesting note about the #3 seed, Bittersweet Symphony: about 10 yrs ago I had a meeting at ABKCO records to work on their pension plan. We met in their conf room, which had 100s of gold records on the wall, and the one right next to me was Bittersweet Symphony — but it was awarded to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. So afterwards, I looked up why that was, and it turned out the Stones sued them for copyright infringement and they got full writing credits.
                          The Stones actually gave back the royalties, but not sure if they returned any money.

A songwriting dispute left the Britpop band bereft of royalties from its biggest hit, "Bitter Sweet Symphony." More than 20 years later, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have signed over their rights.

After more than 20 years, the Rolling Stones and The Verve have resolved a sour dispute over the authorship of the song "Bitter Sweet Symphony." The Verve's frontman and co-founder, Richard Ashcroft, announced on Wednesday that the situation has finally been laid to rest.

Ashcroft explained the change as he received a lifetime achievement honor — an Ivor Novello Award, a British prize for songwriting and composition. "As of last month," Ashcroft said in comments reported by the BBC, "Mick Jagger and Keith Richards signed over all their publishing for 'Bitter Sweet Symphony,' which was a truly kind and magnanimous thing for them to do." A rep for the Rolling Stones confirmed the change to NPR.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• was listening to music while driving around last night... a couple of ones that I have on one of my iPod playlists (yep, my car is a 2005)

Spacehog - In the Meantime
                            Michael Penn - No Myth

The Cult hit 46 with Firewoman, and I'm surprised nothing else ever charted. She Sells Sanctuary was a regular at clubs when I was in college.
                            I thought Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellies might have charted, but no. Flathead did make it to 73.
                            I was thinking the Arctic Monkeys might have only charted once here in the US, and I was right, but Do I Wanna Know maxed out at 70

I thought I had a bunch more last night, but now I can't think of them.

I really like No Myth.

Last edited by heyelander; 08-14-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Was showing RJEL girl your spiffy work here and she was making picks... we couldn't get it to choose Bust a Move on my phone. It would choose whatever option was against it though. We couldn't skip since all matchups are set to mandatory. So we ended up not submitting (probably for the best as she was choosing Cannonball as well.)

Comment

• My college roommate loved The Cult. We had a poster on our dorm wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X