Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    The Layla album came out in late 1970.
    Layla was actually a bust when it came out in late 1970 (and was the abbreviated 3:30 version), but when it was included on Clapton's Compilations album in its full 7 minute glory, it was re-released as a single in 1972 and hit the Top 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      No way can Brandy win. It wasn't even a good song when it came out. 1972 is the year Layla came out, and Neil Young's Heart of Gold. Led Zep. Black Dog, etc. No way should this garbage win anything.

Come on Eileen! You go girl!
      Thanks Gregg! At least someone else realizes that "Brandy" is so weak....
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Crash test dummies Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          Crash test dummies Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
          Hahaha! When that song was a hit, my old girlfriend dragged me to see that group live at a Pittsburgh bar.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• And it's decided! After 21 votes, by a score of 12-9, the Greatest One Hit Wonder of All-Time is.......

COME ON, EILEEN!!!!

Comment

• Thanks for running the tourney Revo!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Woot!

very nicely run. As a professional in surveying onions, I approve.

Comment

Woot!

very nicely run. As a professional in surveying onions, I approve.
                  You survey onions for a living?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    You survey onions for a living?
                    I made that typo years ago and got called out by either KS or Fly... so I stuck with it.

I think it was employee onion surveys.

Comment

I made that typo years ago and got called out by either KS or Fly... so I stuck with it.

I think it was employee onion surveys.
                      Whatever you do don't make a joke in the football thread, that's serious business.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Hahaha! When that song was a hit, my old girlfriend dragged me to see that group live at a Pittsburgh bar.
                        Their drummer, Mitch Dorge is now a motivational speaker. He spoke at the high school where I teach a couple years ago.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• From 1988:
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            From 1988:
                            Love this tune.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I like to peruse Wikipedia and click/read the different random links, and I was reading about Sonny Geraci, who I didn't realize was the lead singer for two one-hit wonder bands -- The Outsiders (1967's "Time Won't Let Me") and Climax (1972's "Precious and Few").

Apparently Climax was the new name of The Outsiders, who due to internal conflicts, a couple of members splintered off and after a lawsuit, was forced to change their name.

There are a few other cases of lead singers having hits with multiple one hit wonders, but many were studio musician types and the bands weren't actual touring bands -- notably Ron Dante of The Archies (1969's "Sugar Sugar") and The Cuff-Links (1969's "Tracy") and Tony Burrows, who was the lead singer on FIVE one hit wonders (four in 1970, dang was he busy): Edison Lighthouse's 1970 hit "Lover Grows Where My Rosemary Goes"; The Pipkins' 1970 hit "Gimme Dat Ding"; White Plains's 1970 hit "My Baby Loves Lovin'"; Brotherhood of Man's 1970 hit "United We Stand"; and finally, First Class's 1974 hit "Beach Baby."

Comment

Working...
                              X