The "Greatest One Hit Wonder" Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Molly Hatchet is great and Flirtin' With Disaster is greater.
    Flirtin with Disaster sounds like a muppet is singing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      ??????? Spirit in the Sky is weak sauce.
      But whining about the music preferences of 18 people on a fantasy baseball message board isn't?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        But whining about the music preferences of 18 people on a fantasy baseball message board isn't?
        I guess we cant have a discussion without resorting to the old "whining" retort. Lighten up man.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          I guess we cant have a discussion without resorting to the old "whining" retort. Lighten up man.
          Lighten up? You're the one telling people they suck dude, look in the mirror!
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• #2 Jump Around 13, vs #15 Escape (The Pina Colada Song) 5

I would vote for pretty much anything over Escape, and did.

#3 St Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) 12, vs #14 Tubthumping 6

This was disappointing. St. Elmo's is '80s cheese and John Parr is a hack. Tubthumping is a legitimately good song and Chumbawumba has an interesting backstory.

#3 The Promise 9, vs #14 Walk Away Renee 9

I would have left this ballot blank if I could have.

#4 Get Together 10, vs #13 Cruel to be Kind 9
            #4 96 Tears 9, vs #13 I'd Love to Change the World 9
            #5 Mississippi Queen 13, vs #12 Magic 5
            #6 Cannonball 6, vs #11 In a Big Country 12
            #6 Spirit in the Sky 12, vs #11 Jackie Blue 6
            #8 Kung Fu Fighting 10, vs #9 Drift Away 8

These were incredibly tough choices. I voted for the loser in each case.

#4 Breakfast at Tiffany's 7, vs #13 Walking in Memphis 11

Breakfast at Tiffany's is hot garbage, so this was an easy upset.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Rappers Delight not winning vs. a Molly Hatchet song is pretty disappointing guys.
              tragic - I don't believe this - Molly Hatchet is easily one of the worst picks in the list

I demand a recount - it just can't be

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                tragic - I don't believe this - Molly Hatchet is easily one of the worst picks in the list

The electorate is almost entirely white male sports fans in their 40s and 50s. What were you expecting exactly?

Comment

• For the record, "Spirit In the Sky" was one of the handful of higher seeds I did not vote for.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    #4 Get Together 10, vs #13 Cruel to be Kind 9
                    #4 96 Tears 9, vs #13 I'd Love to Change the World 9
                    #5 Mississippi Queen 13, vs #12 Magic 5
                    #6 Cannonball 6, vs #11 In a Big Country 12
                    #6 Spirit in the Sky 12, vs #11 Jackie Blue 6
                    #8 Kung Fu Fighting 10, vs #9 Drift Away 8

These were incredibly tough choices. I voted for the loser in each case.
                    I only voted for two of the winners from this group (Get Together & Mississippi Queen).

And next round matchups are going to be even tougher IMO.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      The electorate is almost entirely white male sports fans in their 40s and 50s. What were you expecting exactly?
                      I got what I expected.

Comment

I got what I expected.
                        Congrats!!

Comment

the only worse song than Molly Hatchet's "Kermit sings rockabilly" is the god forsaken Safety Dance.

Comment

the only worse song than Molly Hatchet's "Kermit sings rockabilly" is the god forsaken Safety Dance.
                            I disagree
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              I disagree
                              I agree with you.

Comment

Again, I must lobby for "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)".

Comment

Working...
                                X