trading Jo Adell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trading Jo Adell?

12 team AL only 5x5. OBP instead of ave. $260 budget.

$45A Lindor and $18A Sano for Adell 15F and Danny Mednick 2F?

Or Sano and Teoscar Hernandez 3X? Which side do you like?

For this year, Lindor and Sano. For the future (like 3 years in the future), Adell. In other words, Lindor and Sano by a long shot.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

When Hornsby tells you to trade the stud prospect, you know it is the right move. He loves the young studs. So yeah, Lindor and Sano is the right move.

Comment

These are two very different sides.

Lindor and Sano don’t have much profit at those prices. But do you care? Are you playing for this year? Then the choice is obvious between those.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          These are two very different sides.

Lindor and Sano don’t have much profit at those prices. But do you care? Are you playing for this year? Then the choice is obvious between those.
          I think you are on to something here. If I am playing I should be playing for this year...right? Our league is going decided to play the auction, and contracts as if nothing changed with the exception of some minor rules tweaks to accommodate a shortened season. Min, innings, abs, deadlines etc. Our league entry fee (and prize fund) has been cut to 1/3.

Maybe I do not like making a trade for this prized rookie for a shortened season. Or one that could end up getting cancelled. Then again Adell has to be pretty good to be worth $15 next year if he gets enough abs to use up his rookie status.

I am not as into it this year as years past. In the last few years I have traded rookies to just fall short of winning. Now I watch those guys flourish on those other teams and have some regrets. This is not a recipe for success.

I need to decide if this year counts or not.

Thank you and to all who have responded.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I am not as into it this year as years past. In the last few years I have traded rookies to just fall short of winning. Now I watch those guys flourish on those other teams and have some regrets. This is not a recipe for success.
            Stop me if you've heard this before: flags fly forever.

In the past 5 years I've had Moncada, Giolito and Bellinger pass through my prospect pipeline in a keep forever league. I traded them and have 1 championship and 2 runners up to show for it. It took Moncada and Giolito years to become significant contributors. Trading Bellinger stings but I did include a clause where if he was called up by July 1 he stayed on my roster for the season (he was). Along the way I restocked and have Tatis, Franco and Rutschman in the pipeline. It's a machine, just like MLB.

As you said, if you are a contender, do everything you can to give yourself the best chance to win.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Hmmm...I'd be inclined to do this deal, if I'm understanding all the parameters right. If Adell exceeds rookie ABs, he is worth 15. Sano is 18A. And it's an OBP league?

On that basis, I'd do it since it both gives you a better chance of winning this year and a legitimate keeper in Sano, who's in his prime years. Adell could end up being more valuable than Sano, but that's a significant "if", especially with Maddon running the show for the Angels. Sano has $5 - 15 profit built in him at that price in an OBP league, IMO. And he's pretty much a sure thing, unlike Adell, who hasn't proved squat even at the AAA level yet.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Sano has $5 - 15 profit built in him at that price in an OBP league, IMO.
                I'd have a really hard time valuing Sano at $33 which is the upper end of that - he's never played 120 games. If he was healthy, I think you are correct with that range.

FWIW, it's by no means the best tool, but fangraphs' calculator would put Sano at $16 and Lindor $30 by these league settings. I think both of those numbers are too low, but not to the extent that there's really any profit to be considered here, outside of a heavy inflation scenario (which we'd need to see details on to go there).

Comment

Challenging Sano at $33 is legit. He needs to be in a shape other than round to make that happen. But I still like him for solid profit on $18 in an OBP league in his prime years, and he's a pretty much known asset.

Lindor at $30 in a 12-team AL only league with OBP...is madness. My league is pretty low inflation - around 10%, typically - and he was a $42 player two years ago and a $34 last year while missing 4ish weeks at the start of the season. That said, $45 is pretty steep unless inflation is 30ish percent.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

All good stuff.

I decided to go ahead with the deal to try to win this year. If I am going to play, play to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      All good stuff.

I decided to go ahead with the deal to try to win this year. If I am going to play, play to win.
                      Good luck!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Working...
                      X