A restaurant in Stillwater, OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    All good points, but some of it does change with time as well, and I think that is what leads to the push back. If someone grew up using a term that a people preferred and that term changes, that can lead to slowness being aware of that change and embracing it. In the AA community, you see that, with younger folks embracing new terms and labeling old terms offensive when older folks don't see it that way at all. Here is an article related to that: https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/19/livin...ers/index.html

The article talks about the generational divide on the term Negro recently, and colored before that.

And I see it in my own house. My wife is Jamaican and does not prefer the term AA to describe her, because she does not see herself as AA. She doesn't think it fair for her to even claim herself as part of that more oppressed heritage. It leaves me always struggling with the best term to use when I don't know someone's heritage. AA, I have been taught by my wife, is not the all-inclusive term for someone that looks like her.

Using her as an example again, she has no problem with the term mixed race to describe our own children. In fact, she prefers it to biracial. Others are offended by that term and prefer biracial. I am left wondering what it appropriate to call my own kids. So, sometimes this stuff is a moving target, is my point.
    What are their names? Call them that.....or if race has to be the question, ask them how the wish to be referred to--it is their life after all.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Of course it's not, but in GITH's world, it is.
      Now you're catching on.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

BTW, I dislike religion, so I'd say--well if you all can't agree lets just get rid of it all together.
        This offends me stop it.

Comment

What are their names? Call them that.....or if race has to be the question, ask them how the wish to be referred to--it is their life after all.
          Here is one we are in complete agreement on.

Comment

I don't mean to them. I call them their names. I do not call them mixed kid 1 and mixed kid 2. As for what term they identify with, they are 5 and 2, so they are still both blissfully oblivious that one's color is something to be labeled and differentiated by society. It is a wonder age.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              This offends me stop it.
              I have tried to stop religion every chance I've had--Glad I could help.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I don't mean to them. I call them their names. I do not call them mixed kid 1 and mixed kid 2. As for what term they identify with, they are 5 and 2, so they are still both blissfully oblivious that one's color is something to be labeled and differentiated by society. It is a wonder age.
                That's better than Thing 1 and Thing 2 which my kids were known as until they moved out.....

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I have tried to stop religion every chance I've had--Glad I could help.
                  In some contexts that'd be very offensive and called anti-semetic. See you can't have it both ways.
                  Last edited by Ken; 08-11-2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    In some contexts that'd be very offensive and called ant-semetic. See you can't have it both ways.
                    I disagree

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I disagree
                      It is NOT UP TO YOU or even ME to decide if trying to stop religion is innocuous or not--it's up to those offended.

ATHIEST FOLKS DON'T GET TÔ ARGUE AGAINST THE RELIGOUS OFFENDED.

You are only to respect the sensibilities of the offended and STFU and acquiesce to their sense of what is hurtful to them and what is not.

I didn't even have to google for 30 seconds to figure that out

Comment

It is NOT UP TO YOU or even ME to decide if trying to stop religion is innocuous or not--it's up to those offended.

You are only to respect the sensibilities of the offended and STFU and acquiesce to their sense of what is hurtful to them and what is not.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Point taken, but it's hard for me to equate real life issues with fictional fascination

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Point taken, but it's hard for me to equate real life issues with fictional fascination
                            I am not a believer in any religion--and I tried hard to be, looked everywhere, read as much as I could from all the religions, but there was no divine anywhere I looked, just a mixed bag of philosophies and the power of community and a shared sense of comfort in being free from uncertainty and loneliness, and the joy brought from being part of something, a system, that gives life meaning.

But there are those for whom their religious identity take priority over all other aspects of their being, including ethnicity and race. And there have been many religious people persecuted for their beliefs, sometimes to horrific degrees. You may think their beliefs are fictions, but their persecutions are real.

Comment

I am not a believer in any religion--and I tried hard to be, looked everywhere, read as much as I could from all the religions, but there was no divine anywhere I looked, just a mixed bag of philosophies and the power of community and a shared sense of comfort in being free from uncertainty and loneliness, and the joy brought from being part of something, a system, that gives life meaning.

But there are those for whom their religious identity take priority over all other aspects of their being, including ethnicity and race. And there have been many religious people persecuted for their beliefs, sometimes to horrific degrees. You may think their beliefs are fictions, but their persecutions are real.
                              Clear out your PMs

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

And yet Jesus has the answer to the problem of all bigotry:

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Comment

Working...
                                X