Anyone Else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Else?

Fed up with trying to navigate #1 a 60 game season #2 Opting out and In creating chaotic Add/Drop/FAAB scenarios # Covid sidelining not just a player here or there, but entire teams further complicating fielding a complete roister let alone a competitive one.

I thought daily transactions would help, but even then--it's hit or miss.

I AM enjoying watching Live MLB games, but honestly--I'd like every one of my rot leagues to shut it down, whomever wins ANY league is the one who's been most fortunate and please--before anyone says it--a FULL 162 game season over 6 months mitigates luck far greater than 60 over 2. And NO watching an entire team go down is NOT the same as fading injuries over a full season.

I don't know about you, but I love the competition of pitting my roto skills against other owners who really know their stuff and I'm fortunate that 3 of the 4 leagues I'm in have such owners--Top notch, but this season isn't really about that--it's who avoids the sinkholes that come out of nowhere--Markakis opts out, get's dropped, opts in NOW someone gets a free shot at the guy, not that he'll make a difference, but say Trout decides to Opt out because of his new child--then in Sept, see the Angels making a run at the playoffs and opts back in--to help em--why should the Trout owner, who most likely dropped him to clear cap space and help his team, be OUT that player? Losing him to a possible competitor? Why should that trout owner have to KEEP Trout on the IL taking up cap space (even half of a full Trout contract is a lot of your cap) Just in case?

I know, I'm venting--I still enjoy tracking boxscores, but after a week of pulling my hair out because I have to field 3 players out of 23, I'm done. I'm torn about the MLB season shutting down, on one hand I love watching the games, but on the other--should it shut down--this rotobastardseason would close too.

Fuck this. venting. Fuck.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Agreed, this roto season is a joke, and my league wouldn't even agree to switch to daily lineup changes so it's even worse.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Agreed, this roto season is a joke, and my league wouldn't even agree to switch to daily lineup changes so it's even worse.
      Trust me, though daily Transactions would reduce the luck factor, it increases the frustration factor from seeing the daily carnage.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        Trust me, though daily Transactions would reduce the luck factor, it increases the frustration factor from seeing the daily carnage.
        I have Kershaw on my bench and Harper in my starting lineup.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

12 team mixed with 5IL spots and a 5 person bench

I had 3 starting hitters today

13 hitters ppd or IL - THIRTEEN - and this is after I cut a few

Soto
          Harper
          Goldschmidt
          Villar
          Realmuto
          Tim Anderson
          Y Alvarez
          Santana
          Hosmer
          Gurriel
          Castro
          Harvey
          Teo Hernandez

so yeah - I am not very lucky right now

Comment

It has been chaos, but one good thing has already come of it in my h2h pts league. After decades of me trying to get it switched to playing everyone each week, everyone finally gets it. We will be switching away from h2h permanently because people saw how much better it was after just one week to play everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              12 team mixed with 5IL spots and a 5 person bench

I had 3 starting hitters today

13 hitters ppd or IL - THIRTEEN - and this is after I cut a few

Soto
              Harper
              Goldschmidt
              Villar
              Realmuto
              Tim Anderson
              Y Alvarez
              Santana
              Hosmer
              Gurriel
              Castro
              Harvey
              Teo Hernandez

so yeah - I am not very lucky right now
              Looks kinda like my team. Soto and Y Alvarez on DL, also have Tim Anderson. Then I have 4 Phillies who haven't played in a week, and a few games from Giancarlo wiped out. Ohtani and my FA pitchers (Rogers (SF) and Richardson (TB)) have decimated my pitching. In a short season I'm not sure if I can dig out of this hole. Plus I am reluctant to activate Nate Pearson and Luis Robert from the minors and burn their rookie eligibility in case the season is called off. It's a disaster, but I guess we knew that going in. Would really love to see things stabilize and get in a season, but it is just bizarre. Not to mention all the closers who have been injured in the first 2 weeks. At least I didn't own any of them.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I mentioned in another thread that I'm so glad our savvy owners collectively figured out a solution that works for us.

we froze the longtime Rotisserie League til 2021, with no contracts moving ahead a year and with no farmhands losing that eligibility based on 2020. the season never happened, and we will reemerge from our cocoons in March 2021.

we do have a league of players we all drafted over the entire month of April.

but there are no transactions, no trades, no bench, no anything. you just dance with the 25 gals you brung.

10 out of 12 teams have lost a player for the season, and no one will be spared, of course.

full disclosure, I voted to have an auction - but am so glad I got outvoted.

4 owners are so fed up that they aren't even chipping in 25 bucks apiece for a modest prize payout, and that's fine.

all of us still have rosters and stats, and it doesn't matter if you pay attention to your team or you don't.

I am perversely enjoying my team - which was projected as a contender - struggle unsuccessfully so far to reach the Mendoza Line in AVG and a "hardfought" battle for last place.

but doing my due diligence on weekly Bidmeister claims? no thanks.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

In my main league we switched to daily lineup moves and daily FAAB, but even though we added 5 more reserve slots, we wanted to add 5 more after week 1 and the league decided against it.

Comment

Interesting, JJ and Doig/GITH. I’m frustrated by it too, but keep it in perspective (so far). It’s a nice and welcome distraction.

As for roto, I’m in the middle. Our core (NL only keeper) league held the auction in March and is playing as usual (albeit for a half-sized pot). If the season makes it to 50 games, it counts. If not, we reset contracts and also allow people to keep players bought at auction this year (though FAAB and trades are reversed). At the same time, I joined two mixed leagues that are draft and hold. Weirdly, injuries and opt-outs hit those leagues far worse. And there is no way to trade out of a hole (Price and Kluber were my top two SP; went heavy on hitting but won’t field a pitching squad). Glad to have the games just to focus on instead of life stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                      Interesting, JJ and Doig/GITH. I’m frustrated by it too, but keep it in perspective (so far). It’s a nice and welcome distraction.

As for roto, I’m in the middle. Our core (NL only keeper) league held the auction in March and is playing as usual (albeit for a half-sized pot). If the season makes it to 50 games, it counts. If not, we reset contracts and also allow people to keep players bought at auction this year (though FAAB and trades are reversed). At the same time, I joined two mixed leagues that are draft and hold. Weirdly, injuries and opt-outs hit those leagues far worse. And there is no way to trade out of a hole (Price and Kluber were my top two SP; went heavy on hitting but won’t field a pitching squad). Glad to have the games just to focus on instead of life stress.
                      Yeah as I said, I am torn as I do enjoy the distraction, but it just seems forced. I have 2 leagues who drafted during the lockdown, keeper forever dynasty leagues. Another that drafted right before the shortened season started--those 3 won't be affected if MLB cancels, but in the 4th, it's really kind of n. #1 if there is no official season we revert back to 2020 contracts However If you make a trade--it stands, if you bring up a minor leaguer they are now ineligible to be rostered in you minors again and though we auctioned 9n March, we have to go back and select 10 keepers from our NEW rosters for 2021. For someone like me who built their roster to compete in2020 (lots of expiring contracts) I have 2 choices, sit and watch it burn or try and compete BUT if I bring up minor leaguers or Trade and there is NO official season--I essentially have burned my team for years. I made one trade, but now I'm like--fuck it. And so Now if the season IS official (35 MLB Games) I lose all my expired contracts and again--everything I did last year, off season and at the draft was for shit and now I'm just screwed--so sorry start over and rebuild I guess. If this was a 162 games, I could maneuver but not in this shit show. I am gonna try and make the best of it I can, but it will be tough.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                        This is how i feel too.

I did skip the bigger money Yahoo Pro Leagues this year and am just focusing on my local league in which i am also the commissioner. This season would have driven me nuts if i was in a big money league. We voted to play for less money so everyone could relax a little more with the crazy schedule and frequently unavailable players.

I am treating this year like it's no more than a bridge to 2021 and my simple goal is for our keeper league to make a smooth transition into next year when hopefully life and baseball both return to normal. So, hopefully, all of the 2020 crap that we are dealing with now is for the greater good of 2021.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          This is how i feel too.

I did skip the bigger money Yahoo Pro Leagues this year and am just focusing on my local league in which i am also the commissioner. This season would have driven me nuts if i was in a big money league. We voted to play for less money so everyone could relax a little more with the crazy schedule and frequently unavailable players.

I am treating this year like it's no more than a bridge to 2021 and my simple goal is for our keeper league to make a smooth transition into next year when hopefully life and baseball both return to normal. So, hopefully, all of the 2020 crap that we are dealing with now is for the greater good of 2021.
                          I would do that if my X contracts carried over, but I dealt off all my top minor leaguers and picks for these contracts which will disappear game 36. Just frustrated that's all. I'll make the best of it somehow.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            I would do that if my X contracts carried over, but I dealt off all my top minor leaguers and picks for these contracts which will disappear game 36. Just frustrated that's all. I'll make the best of it somehow.
                            Yeah, i forgot to add that we will carry over all contracts into next season.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

yeah you've pretty much summed up my attitude. I've watched a couple of games & really appreciated having the game back. But from a roto perspective it's a crapshoot. My team was probably destined for mediocrity anyway, but I'm not getting much fun out of trying to figure our which teams will be playing & which won't & trying to adjust my lineups to accommodate them.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X