• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verlander

Out for the year, elbow.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...h-15435496.php
    Last edited by fuhrdog; 07-26-2020, 04:34 PM. Reason: link

If he needs TJ surgery, which seems likely, he would miss all next season too. And at age 37+, that could be career ending.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      If he needs TJ surgery, which seems likely, he would miss all next season too. And at age 37+, that could be career ending.
      And 66 million down the drain for Houston...well probably 44 million due to the Virus.

Comment

That rotation looks decimated. Framber valdez seems like #5. Who fills in for Verlander now? Whitley? Devenski?

Comment

There goes my seeason.

Comment

And now Verlander and Baker sayn8t is a forearm strain and he may not be out whole season. Poor initial reporting.

Comment

the "grizzled veteran" deciding Verlander's fate:

"Chandler Rome joined the Houston Chronicle in 2018 to cover the Astros after spending one year in Tuscaloosa covering Alabama football — during which Nick Saban asked if he attended college. He did, at LSU, where he covered the Tigers baseball team for nearly four years. He covered most of the Astros' 2015 playoff run, too, as an intern for MLB.com"

#yougetwhatyoupayfor

[still, he might get lucky. it happens]
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

"Chandler Rome joined the Houston Chronicle in 2018 to cover the Astros after spending one year in Tuscaloosa covering Alabama football — during which Nick Saban asked if he attended college. He did, at LSU, where he covered the Tigers baseball team for nearly four years. He covered most of the Astros' 2015 playoff run, too, as an intern for MLB.com"

#yougetwhatyoupayfor
                It is true that he is likely done--forearm strains very often lead to TJ surgery and even when they don't, only the mildest of strains would let him return this year. But yeah, still bad reporting. He wants to try, so there is some hope. It could have been reported as "likely done, but we will have to wait and see, as he will try to pitch again," but in the twitter age, everyone wants the scoop, accuracy be damned.

Comment

he wrote that the Astros would announce it today. so he got that wrong.

and yes, this forearm issue sounds pretty pretty bad.
                  Last edited by Judge Jude; 07-26-2020, 07:22 PM.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Ouch. He was a keeper at $43 in my AL only.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Dusty Baker.........
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

#yougetwhatyoupayfor

[still, he might get lucky. it happens]
                        The Chronicle has a ton of turnover on the Astros beat over the past decade.

Jose de Jesus Oritz 2001-09
                        Zachary Levine 2010-12
                        Brian T. Smith 2013
                        Evan Drellich 2014-15
                        Jake Kaplan 2016-17
                        Chandler Rome 2018-20
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          Dusty Baker.........
                          I think his quota is two arms per year. So, he's not done yet.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            Dusty Baker.........
                            My views on Dusty and young pitching have been pretty well documented. In all fairness, it's not like he left Verlander out for an outrageous number of pitches.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I have been offered Trevor Gott and Orelvis Martinez for JV. Martinez is barely an upgrade over my 20th best prospect (we go 20 deep), but he has upside, and I'm 99% sure JV is done this year. Is that 1% worth hanging on to, or should I take what I can get?

Comment

Working...
                              X