MLB 30-man rosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB 30-man rosters

When do teams have to announce who's on the 30-man roster for the first game of the season?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    When do teams have to announce who's on the 30-man roster for the first game of the season?
    When the season opens on July 23 or 24, teams will submit rosters of up to 30 players, with a minimum of 25. Two weeks later, those rosters will be trimmed to 28, then to 26 two weeks after that. Once teams are limited to a 26-man roster, they will be permitted to add a 27th player for doubleheaders.

There will be no limitation on the number of pitchers allowed on an active roster this season.

Major League front offices are back in business, as baseball's transaction freeze was lifted Friday at noon ET. But for those hoping to focus on what rosters around MLB will look like this season, that might be more complicated than usual. • FAQ: All you need to know about 2020
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Thanks, Horns! So we won't know who's officially on the MLB roster and who's on the "taxi squad" until Opening Day for each team....

This'll make our auction on Sunday interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Thanks, Horns! So we won't know who's officially on the MLB roster and who's on the "taxi squad" until Opening Day for each team....

This'll make our auction on Sunday interesting.
        You mean who's on optional or outright assignment to the alternate training site?

Because the taxi squad is up to three players who can travel with the big league team. The idea is not to have to depend on quick airline flights to get replacement players to a big league game at the last minute. The taxi squad has always existed informally and occasionally served the same purpose (quick injury replacement), with restrictions from MLB on how a taxi-squad player could be used and what they could do. This year that's just formalized, the taxi squad players are allowed to do more with the team, and teams are allowed to have up to three such players.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          You mean who's on optional or outright assignment to the alternate training site?

Because the taxi squad is up to three players who can travel with the big league team. The idea is not to have to depend on quick airline flights to get replacement players to a big league game at the last minute. The taxi squad has always existed informally and occasionally served the same purpose (quick injury replacement), with restrictions from MLB on how a taxi-squad player could be used and what they could do. This year that's just formalized, the taxi squad players are allowed to do more with the team, and teams are allowed to have up to three such players.
          So 33-then 31 then 29? (unofficially)
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

Good point - I misused the taxi squad term. I did mean who's outright assigned to the alternate training site versus on the MLB roster. In theory, our auction is supposed to only include players on a MLB roster, but if I'm reading what Hornsby put in, it appears that differentiation won't happen until shortly before opening day for each team.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              So 33-then 31 then 29? (unofficially)
              The (up to) three taxi squad players aren't on the MLB roster. They are on assignment, roster-wise, to the alternate training site, but they are allowed to travel with the big league team (same as previous years) and train with the big league team (new this year). In the past, teams only did this when they had an injury to a player but weren't sure whether they were going to put the player on the IL. So they would get the player from the minors to the site for the big league game pending that IL decision. This year, because travel is more difficult, and because players could potentially test positive for COVID on any morning, MLB wanted teams to have a small group of players ready to go as replacements. Whether all teams will utilize this, whether they'll use on the road only or also at home, and whether they'll actually always have the full three players available, remains to be seen. I'm not aware that the taxi squad names will be publicly announced, but they might be.

The taxi squad players can't play in the MLB game without a roster move. Someone from the MLB active roster would need to be put on the IL, and the taxi squad player would need to be recalled/selected to the big league active roster.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I've seen a few team release their 30-man rosters, including the Cubs, Phillies and Dodgers.

I have not yet been able to find one place for all teams.

Comment

Working...
                X