Matt Chapman Trade Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Chapman Trade Advice

To begin, this trade isn't something I should be doing based on my roster composition. I have 4 3bman on my roster right now, and I have them all next year too. Still, being in a 14 team mixed league, I always love a deal where I get the best player, and I generally like trading prospects for proven talent. So when a league mate put out a Matt Chapman at a good price locked up for three years ($20, with very high inflation, as we keep 15, and a $400 budget), I had to make the pitch. He rejected my offer, but his counter is JD Davis, Kelenic, and Corbin Carroll for Chapman. Davis is $5, and I'm really high on him, and I'm a big Kelenic fan too.

I'd probably still have pulled the trigger without asking, but again, I am loaded at 3b. Luckily, two 3bman are Davis and McNeil, so I can use them elsewhere. And for this year, I also have Bregman elg at SS. But next year, I have Bregman and Arrenado locked up, and also Olson and Santana cheap, so my corners are full, barring another trade.

So, two part question: my circumstances aside, do you think 3 years of a pretty cheap Matt Chapman is worth a a $5 JD Davis, Kelenic, and Carroll? If so, would you still do this deal in my spot, where you need OFers, both this year and long term, and are overloaded already at 3b, both this year and long term?

I honestly don't think that you need Chapman, given what you have already. And the kids that you'd give up can be good as soon as next year, at least Kelenic can, and Davis might be this year. Not to mention filling a position of need.

Really not in your best interest to do this deal...pass.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      What he said.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        I honestly don't think that you need Chapman, given what you have already. And the kids that you'd give up can be good as soon as next year, at least Kelenic can, and Davis might be this year. Not to mention filling a position of need.

Agreed.

JD by himself is not that short of Chapman stat wise. Certainly not $15 short. Adding the others makes it an easy no.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Agreed.

JD by himself is not that short of Chapman stat wise. Certainly not $15 short. Adding the others makes it an easy no.
          This is my takeaway. Davis is still extendable, and the added positional felxibility helps, so I would put his value close to Chapman. I love JD Davis as much as you do. I know certainty has intrinsic value, but I like the odds for Davis to break out and produce close to Chapman. The prospects shift the value heavily to his side. Hard pass.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I ended up getting Chapman for Kelenic and Xavier Edwards. I'm good with finding prospects, so I think I can replace Edwards pretty easily. I miss Kelenic, but him caving on getting Davis made me do the deal. Now I have Davis and Chapman, and hopefully the championship.

Comment

The deal was also made with another deal on the table. I have been offered Snell on a one year deal and Luciano for Chapman $21 or Arrenado $33. I'm tempted as I like Snell and Luciano.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                The deal was also made with another deal on the table. I have been offered Snell on a one year deal and Luciano for Chapman $21 or Arrenado $33. I'm tempted as I like Snell and Luciano.
                That'd be a hard no for me, but I'm biased for two reasons where others will differ with me - first, I think Snell is a high-risk player to flee if there's a perceived COVID risk among the Rays. Others think he's BSing or bluffing, but I think he's reluctantly been shamed into coming back after his poorly timed tweets. And Luciano could be a long ways away and hasn't played a day of ball at the A level or higher.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  That'd be a hard no for me, but I'm biased for two reasons where others will differ with me - first, I think Snell is a high-risk player to flee if there's a perceived COVID risk among the Rays. Others think he's BSing or bluffing, but I think he's reluctantly been shamed into coming back after his poorly timed tweets. And Luciano could be a long ways away and hasn't played a day of ball at the A level or higher.
                  Yeah, I agree on both counts. Pitching is so thin in this auction though, and I think Luciano is a really special bat in the making. But I generally favor proven talent...I'm trying to package Nolan and prospects for a cheaper Soto at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    Nope. I wouldn't do it.

Plus you mentioned in your post before "hopefully championship" getting Chapman. I would try to find a different way.

Comment

Yes, yes, the guy I traded him to says he will be a left handed Mike Trout. If so, at least I got more for Kelenic than I did for Trout. I traded him for Scott Baker and a past his prime Jimmy Rollins.

I'm considering trading Arenado for Bryant and a a good pitcher. That would solve my OF and SP needs, but I like Arrenado a lot more than Bryant.

Comment

Took a big gamble and traded Nolan Arrenado for Zack Wheeler, Carter Kieboom, and Alec Bohm. Nolan and Zack are both on 3 year deals, and obviously Wheeler is a lot riskier, especially this year. It is a gamble, but I needed to move a 3bman and I needed pitching. It also frees up $20 in auction money. I was flat broke, so at least now I can try to snag a few decent guys.

Comment

So, after both deals, I ended up trading Nolan Arrenado, Jared Kelenic and Xavier Edwards for Matt Chapman, Zack Wheeler, Carter Kieboom and Alec Bohm. I broke exactly even on auction money, and gained an extra year on Chapman over Arrenado. I gave the best major leaguer and the best prosect, which doesn't make me feel good. But IF wheeler pitches this year, I hope he makes up for the difference between Arrenado and Chapman. Assuming this year is a wash, I got 2 more years of cheap wheeler and 3 more years of cheap chapman for 2 more years of Nolan in the majors. I think that makes up for the prospect imbalance, if there is one. Kelenic is the best prospect, but Kieboom is a lot better than Edwards. I do miss Kelenic, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X