*** VD 16 Discussion Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** VD 16 Discussion Thread ***

My thinking is that we could do a quick turnaround reboot of this draft and fix / optimize the format. I feel we need to take the time to work on the Franchise format to make it consistent. We never did this the previous times we used Franchises. We also need to become more accustomed to the player pool.

Clearly a better format would be:

25 instead of 27 players

- Meaning 3xQUIZY and 2xWC (one less hitter and pitcher)

I think we need to rethink the Contemporary Hitter situation, by either abandoning the category for Franchise drafts or adding more Contemporary hitting slots.

- 5xModern hitters with only 25 players would be sufficient IMO.
    - 4xVintage Pitcher / Hitter was more than adequate.

Flips - still think they are a good idea in this format, adding strategy and an additional random value modifier (players with multiple Franchise options have added value)

Any other ideas?

-----------------------

If enough people are happy with rebooting this draft, I'll put up some polls, we can optimize the format, and get started immediately

If we want to do something different, as usual, it will take a while.

I won't be able to get the BY Franchise data updated for a BY Franchise draft any time soon, and I will need Ken's help to pull all the eligible franchises that players could be drafted at (there are many more than this format).

The Peak Year data isn't really ready either. I have this data, but it's quite large and needs trimmed down. I don't really have time to do this now.

Probably not in if we're doing franchises.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I am not sure if I am in given the season possibly coming up and some drafts around the corner, but if it is the same format, I can probably wing it well enough. Why do you think 25-man-roster is better than 27? The difficulty is a plus, not a minus. Changing the roster size by two will make a huge difference in strategy and change lots of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        I am not sure if I am in given the season possibly coming up and some drafts around the corner, but if it is the same format, I can probably wing it well enough. Why do you think 25-man-roster is better than 27? The difficulty is a plus, not a minus. Changing the roster size by two will make a huge difference in strategy and change lots of stuff.
        I like the difficulty and complexity ... I'm all for adding more variables, and constantly shaking things up.

But I'm not sure other people do.

Plus I like Franchises, and i'd like to find a "standard format" that everyone can enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          I like the difficulty and complexity ... I'm all for adding more variables, and constantly shaking things up.

But I'm not sure other people do.

Plus I like Franchises, and i'd like to find a "standard format" that everyone can enjoy.
          I like franchises but I'd prefer we wait on doing another one until we can tie it to BY.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I like franchises but I'd prefer we wait on doing another one until we can tie it to BY.
            That would be wildly and insanely complicated. Lots of questions---if it is BY, do we split up OEF and ONA? No reason to group them to get to five years with single season eligibility.

Comment

And, sadly, I think it would be gimmicky. I'll just go on the record to state that we'll see a whole lot of players from 1890 and 1914-15 if we do BY....

Comment

Honestly, I don't really know what you're talking about so please provide more info so that we understand.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Honestly, I don't really know what you're talking about so please provide more info so that we understand.
                  Federal League was 1914-15. It included stars such as Eddie Plank, Mordecai Brown, and one other who hasn't been drafted yet.

Player's League was 1890. It included good seasons from: Beckley, O'Rourke, Brouthers, Buck Ewing, Tip O'Neil, etc.

All of those teams will be very rare teams, unless we wrap them all up in OEF, which would be a bit silly. None of the teams survived the disbanding of the leagues, unlike the American Association.

Comment

Why would wrapping them together be any different than what we've always done? They're franchises that can't stand on their own for our purposes, so what's different if we use BY?
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

The reason we combined them, I thought, was so that players could have a chance to play enough seasons for them to qualify---most of the players I mentioned are not currently OEF because the OEF guys are mostly from NL teams of the 1880's that went defunct. With BY and keeping OEF together (it really doesn't matter for ONA given how few seasons then are draftable), OEF would be a top 5 franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        The reason we combined them, I thought, was so that players could have a chance to play enough seasons for them to qualify---most of the players I mentioned are not currently OEF because the OEF guys are mostly from NL teams of the 1880's that went defunct. With BY and keeping OEF together (it really doesn't matter for ONA given how few seasons then are draftable), OEF would be a top 5 franchise.
                        But OEF was a good franchise in this draft as well.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

The problem with Franchise BY isn't the fact that some years will be picked more than others, it's the work that needs to be done on the SS.

All the eligible Franchises needed to be added to every player on the CAR pages, and all the eligible BY's need to be added.

... and we can't have a 100+MB Spreadsheet.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            The problem with Franchise BY isn't the fact that some years will be picked more than others, it's the work that needs to be done on the SS.

All the eligible Franchises needed to be added to every player on the CAR pages, and all the eligible BY's need to be added.

... and we can't have a 100+MB Spreadsheet.
                            Ok if it's simply unfeasible then I'll drop it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Ok if it's simply unfeasible then I'll drop it.
                              It's not unfeasible, i'm down for BY Franchise. Different is good. But we need Ken to do some work, and he's busy now ... and even then I will need to spend a lot of time to trim back the BY's.

There are ways around it ... for instance, we could have a separate player sheet that is sortable, then we update the sheet with selected years if need be.

... then over time the draftable years will gradually get added.

But that will still take a bit of time, and if we want to start another draft straight away, we can't do this right now.

I worry that a BY Franchise draft without all the info made sortable and available will create an uneven playing field ... like the early vintage drafts.

Comment

Working...
                              X