Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Mahomes

I bet Mahomes could top this with a few endorsement deals if he wants to:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Patrick Mahomes' 10-year contract is worth $503 million and includes $477 million in "guaranteed mechanisms."

It's still a 10-year extension, but the new numbers are far better for Mahomes than initially reported. It makes him the first American athlete to sign a contract worth a half billion dollars, and the reported "guarantees" went from $140 million to $477 million. The fine details of this will be confusing, likely containing options, rolling guarantees, and other fancy agent lingo. The bottom line is the quarterback market is finally catching up to a quarterback's true on-field worth. Mahomes will be making $50 million annually for the next decade plus, a cool $15 million more than Russell Wilson. It's certainly a gamble worth taking for the Chiefs, as Mahomes is on an unprecedented early-career trajectory.
    (Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter/ Rotoworld)
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

I did not know such numbers were possible in football with only 16 games played. I thought baseball was king with the massive deals. Crazy.

Comment

I'm waiting to see more unraveled on this one, as I seriously doubt he has $477 million in guaranteed money. I'm sure a lot more than $140 mil is readily attainable, but I suspect the real guaranteed money is about halfway between $140 and $477 mil.

But that's still a monster deal. Projecting out that long term is ballsy stuff for the Chiefs.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I'm waiting to see more unraveled on this one, as I seriously doubt he has $477 million in guaranteed money. I'm sure a lot more than $140 mil is readily attainable, but I suspect the real guaranteed money is about halfway between $140 and $477 mil.

But that's still a monster deal. Projecting out that long term is ballsy stuff for the Chiefs.
        Yeah, even just the per year salary is mindboggling to me. I just didn't think such numbers were possible in football.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I did not know such numbers were possible in football with only 16 games played. I thought baseball was king with the massive deals. Crazy.
          I would have to think that NFL revenue from merchandise and cable TV is more than the other sports. Ticket sales not so much.
          Last edited by madducks; 07-08-2020, 11:24 PM.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
            I would have to think that NFL revenue from merchandise and cable TV is more than the other sports. Ticket sales not so much.
            Maybe, but even if that is true, their rosters are larger, and historically, football players have made less than baseball and basketball, so it is still surprising. QBs are arguably the most important position in sports though (except maybe a hot goalie), so arguably the best in the game who is also super young braking the ceiling on salaries isn't surprising. But he shattered it.

Comment

The NFL gets about $5bn in TV contract money while MLB gets about $2bn.

The NFL has larger rosters, but only certain positions are highly paid, relatively speaking.

Comment

apparently Mahomes' agent did not obtain a "most favored nation" clause that could turn out to be worth more than he got.

if you get a guarantee of always being one of the top 3 or top 5 paid QBs, then if unforeseen revenue streams develop (which has been happening for many years), you can't get left behind.

I mean, the dude's great-grandchildren already are destined for a Paris Hilton-like life anyway.

but from a competitive standpoint - and that's what these guys live for - that seems like a clause worth negotiating.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  apparently Mahomes' agent did not obtain a "most favored nation" clause that could turn out to be worth more than he got.

if you get a guarantee of always being one of the top 3 or top 5 paid QBs, then if unforeseen revenue streams develop (which has been happening for many years), you can't get left behind.

I mean, the dude's great-grandchildren already are destined for a Paris Hilton-like life anyway.

but from a competitive standpoint - and that's what these guys live for - that seems like a clause worth negotiating.
                  I'm surprised those are allowed. I wonder what happens if 5 QBs get top 3 guarantees?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    I'm surprised those are allowed. I wonder what happens if 5 QBs get top 3 guarantees?
                    Ha, good point. That sort of thing seems to break the logic of such a clause. Although, I think the actual wording is like the franchise tag, where you get the average of the top 3 guys, but I don't know how that would work if you are one of those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      The NFL gets about $5bn in TV contract money while MLB gets about $2bn.

The NFL has larger rosters, but only certain positions are highly paid, relatively speaking.
                      Wow, I know they run a lot of commericials, but geesh, that is nuts. How can they get 2.5 times the money for 1/10th the games. I know NFL games are way more watched, but 25x more than the average MLB game?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Wow, I know they run a lot of commericials, but geesh, that is nuts. How can they get 2.5 times the money for 1/10th the games. I know NFL games are way more watched, but 25x more than the average MLB game?
                        Those are the national contracts. Every NFL game is aired on major networks somewhere. The same cannot be said for baseball, where most games are aired locally on minor stations or their own networks.

From what I was able to find online, the average MLB game attracts 925k viewers, while the average NFL game attracts 16.5m viewers— just about 18x the average MLB game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          I'm no lawyer. But, wouldn't the hypothetical 4th & 5th QBs have invalid contracts causing them to be voided?

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Mahomes has joined the Kansas City Royals ownership group.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              Mahomes has joined the Kansas City Royals ownership group.
                              Partial owner at age 24 year. Not bad!

Comment

Working...
                              X