Draft Picks 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Picks 2021

So in my trade talks to possibly make a short run this season successful, the discussion turned to the value of 2021 draft picks and this years impact on Dynasty leagues and league with minor league rosters.

One argument is--they are less valuable because the MLB draft was only 5 rounds and though you can draft on the same potential ML clubs did, you won't have ANY real data to go on other than that. Also, there won't be a minor league season so how can you evaluate your current minor league roster outside of the chance some might see ML action at which point you have to make the choice to activate them or worry about the possibility they might LOSE their eligibility should they play. Plus, there's a problem with really good/deep squads in that--where will you put the 6+ minor leaguers you're set to draft with 2021 picks and who do you release to make room for those new players?

Now I'm sure the first three rounds of the ML draft are full of guys you might replace the tail end of your minor league roster with, but you'll have to make that call pre draft and drop those guys, then hope a better replacement is there for you when you draft--on the other hand--if your squad needs work, you might see some better players made available from those dropped AND the fact that there will be less picks made overall by teams with solid Minor league squads.

The problem I see is that MOST of these decisions will have to be made without ANY stats, playing time, visible growth to use as we normally would have.

I feel this is a year for those with shallow minor league rosters to accumulate picks and catch up, the better teams will still be good, but unable to extend their lead. Though I may be wrong. I just don't know if my logic is sound.

IS your first round pick as valuable this season (trading to make a run) as it normally would be or not?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

It depends. If it's an earlier pick, I think it's still very valuable - there's a number of college players picked high that I'd still want to get if I could. It definitely makes the high school players a bigger risk. So if it's the 3rd pick in the first round and I were rebuilding a dynasty team, I still really want that pick. If it were the 14th....not as much.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
    X