Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBS roster settings questions - can multiple teams roster the same player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS roster settings questions - can multiple teams roster the same player?

Hi everyone,

My league is thinking about how to structure our 2020 season, and the consensus is we'd like to do something a little different/simpler/weirder than our normal 10-team AL auction given the circumstances of this year. Among the ideas is the "stock market pricing" model in which we assign every player a price based on a standard value calculator. Then each team can independently construct their roster as long as it meets the position and budget requirements of the league. As such, any team could roster any player, and multiple teams would certainly end up having the same player.

Does anyone know if CBS can accommodate this? And would this work, or be fun? Part of our challenge is scheduling the auction. Even doing it online can be hard to find a time that works given work, kids, time zones, pandemic, etc etc.

Another option I'm considering is a hybrid type auction/draft league where each player is assigned a price based on predicted value (same as above), but then we do a snake draft where on your pick you select a player and get them but also have their price deducted from your budget. So you have to construct a team with regard to player prices as well as expected production. If we use a few keepers from 2019 and either don't add inflation to the assigned prices, or even undervalue them a smidge, it might incentivize "reaching" a bit for particular players that you may like.

Help me out if I'm missing something crucial about these ideas that would result in a disaster of a league, or if you have some thoughts on how to execute such a "weird" setup for 2020! We are looking for something that can still be strategic and fun but simple to pull off logistically (ideally not require a lot of complex in-season management or a long live auction).

Thanks, and I look forward to visiting RJ with you all more once baseball starts up again!

from what I can tell, CBS seems to have finally gotten off its "you'll take our program and like it" model and gone rogue by actually trying to appeal to consumers.

that said, OnRoto pretty much seems to love a challenge - you give 'em parameters, and they try to make it work.....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
      Hi everyone,

My league is thinking about how to structure our 2020 season, and the consensus is we'd like to do something a little different/simpler/weirder than our normal 10-team AL auction given the circumstances of this year. Among the ideas is the "stock market pricing" model in which we assign every player a price based on a standard value calculator. Then each team can independently construct their roster as long as it meets the position and budget requirements of the league. As such, any team could roster any player, and multiple teams would certainly end up having the same player.

Does anyone know if CBS can accommodate this? And would this work, or be fun? Part of our challenge is scheduling the auction. Even doing it online can be hard to find a time that works given work, kids, time zones, pandemic, etc etc.

Another option I'm considering is a hybrid type auction/draft league where each player is assigned a price based on predicted value (same as above), but then we do a snake draft where on your pick you select a player and get them but also have their price deducted from your budget. So you have to construct a team with regard to player prices as well as expected production. If we use a few keepers from 2019 and either don't add inflation to the assigned prices, or even undervalue them a smidge, it might incentivize "reaching" a bit for particular players that you may like.

Help me out if I'm missing something crucial about these ideas that would result in a disaster of a league, or if you have some thoughts on how to execute such a "weird" setup for 2020! We are looking for something that can still be strategic and fun but simple to pull off logistically (ideally not require a lot of complex in-season management or a long live auction).

Thanks, and I look forward to visiting RJ with you all more once baseball starts up again!
      I am almost positive that in the setup there is a tab to click which allows more than one team to own the same player

Comment

I just went through all the player settings in the front office and I don't see an option for this.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          I just went through all the player settings in the front office and I don't see an option for this.
          Thanks for trying - yeah I did the same and didn't see any way to do it.

Any other interesting/creative ways of setting up leagues for the short season out there?

Comment

I'm not sure that it's interesting or creative, but I've mentioned elsewhere that our "parallel universe" redraft with no transactions can be a compromise if several owners are really skeptical of following MLB. they could even just take an autopicked team and still have a shot in this War of Attrition.

for those leagues with benches, you could offer only that - the teams not paying attention aren't guaranteed to lose ground for lack of in/out of scrubs.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Thanks for trying - yeah I did the same and didn't see any way to do it.

Any other interesting/creative ways of setting up leagues for the short season out there?
              Did you contact CBS customer service? They've always been responsive to leagues where I've been in...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Hi everyone,

This sounds to me like a custom salary cap league. I havent played salary cap baseball in a really long time, but you may need to go away from CBS to find a provider. Doesnt fanduel or draftkings offer season-long private cap leagues? Worth a shot. I doubt CBS can handle this though.

Comment

I did send a message to CBS customer service, have not heard back yet. I think yes, I'm essentially describing a custom salary cap league. I could set it up myself separate from CBS but would need the ability within CBS for multiple teams to own the same players. Thanks for the feedback, all.

Comment

Working...
                  X