Puig--Where will he land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puig--Where will he land?

It is crazy to me that he is still just sitting out there. What is the deal? He is talented and teams should want him. When will he sign and where do you think he ends up?

He was just bought out be a nervous owner in my league, which I think is a mistake, given his cost was the same either way and the owner simply got a roster spot out of the buy out. I assume he will be worth rostering this year, but it would be nice if he signed soon!

The issue is that he wants a long term deal, and teams weren't willing to meet his number. Now, with all the changes, he'll likely need to settle for a 1-year deal or an under-value multi-year deal. If he's willing to take a 1-year deal, I suspect there'll be plenty of offers.

Most of the chatter has been about him landing in Miami, and they were negotiating before all the COVID stuff happened. But looking at rosters and windows of opportunity, I'd think Cleveland, LA Angels, and Arizona would be interested if he's willing to do a 1-year deal. And he'd be a major upgrade in Miami, too.

But so far, chatter on signing has been pretty slim.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'd cross Cleveland off that list for sure. No way Dolan is dishing out any money this year. And if he's thinking about dishing out money he should put it in the Keep Frankie Fund. Also, Franconas heart issues don't need any Wild Horse play.

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
        I'd cross Cleveland off that list for sure. No way Dolan is dishing out any money this year. And if he's thinking about dishing out money he should put it in the Keep Frankie Fund. Also, Franconas heart issues don't need any Wild Horse play.
        No argument on the money side, though I think Francona's heart would be a lot happier with Puig in the lineup than the dreadful alternatives the Indians have in RF and LF right now. After two weeks of Domingo flailing, Francona might be begging management for an alternative.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          No argument on the money side, though I think Francona's heart would be a lot happier with Puig in the lineup than the dreadful alternatives the Indians have in RF and LF right now. After two weeks of Domingo flailing, Francona might be begging management for an alternative.
          True, True but the expanded rosters play right into Franconas love of outfield platoons. Gonna be a lot of guys getting AB's in that OF.

Comment

I don't see him getting signed this year. For some unknown reason, he's just persona non grata with owners. He's undoubtedly talented, and a real joy to watch play, but there's something there that we just don't know.

I agree with Chance, he's angling for a long term deal, and that's just not coming in the next couple of years. He may end up being too old to ever get one...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              For some unknown reason, he's just persona non grata with owners. He's undoubtedly talented, and a real joy to watch play, but there's something there that we just don't know.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                I don't see him getting signed this year. For some unknown reason, he's just persona non grata with owners. He's undoubtedly talented, and a real joy to watch play, but there's something there that we just don't know.

I agree with Chance, he's angling for a long term deal, and that's just not coming in the next couple of years. He may end up being too old to ever get one...
                The consensus here in Cincinnati from his three months or so last year was that he wasn't quite as bad in the clubhouse as portrayed, but also not nearly the player he was supposed to be based on his early LA days. Apparently, he didn't cause much trouble, but neither did he jell with his teammates. The Reds dumped him for what they could get vs. getting nothing at the end of the year.

Second, and this is pure conjecture on my part--While it is at least 20 times larger than it was 30-40 years ago, the Hispanic community here is still not that large a part of the overall population in the area. He may have had some cultural issues here and could in other cities.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                  The consensus here in Cincinnati from his three months or so last year was that he wasn't quite as bad in the clubhouse as portrayed, but also not nearly the player he was supposed to be based on his early LA days. Apparently, he didn't cause much trouble, but neither did he jell with his teammates. The Reds dumped him for what they could get vs. getting nothing at the end of the year.

Second, and this is pure conjecture on my part--While it is at least 20 times larger than it was 30-40 years ago, the Hispanic community here is still not that large a part of the overall population in the area. He may have had some cultural issues here and could in other cities.
                  You seem to be the guy to ask about Reds stuff--I was really surprised Aristedes Aquino didn't make the Reds initial roster for ST 2.0. What is the deal? I thought he was gonna be their starting RFer, but I guess not anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    You seem to be the guy to ask about Reds stuff--I was really surprised Aristedes Aquino didn't make the Reds initial roster for ST 2.0. What is the deal? I thought he was gonna be their starting RFer, but I guess not anymore?
                    I think he's like #5 on their OF list now behind Castellanos (who will now likely DH), Akiyama, Senzel, Winkler, and more or less even with Van Meter.

EDIT: Still, I am surprised that he wouldn't make the 60-man. Thinking about it, I wonder what's going on with that--he's on the 40-man, so he is automatically on the 60-man unless something wonky is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      I think he's like #5 on their OF list now behind Castellanos (who will now likely DH), Akiyama, Senzel, Winkler, and more or less even with Van Meter.

EDIT: Still, I am surprised that he wouldn't make the 60-man. Thinking about it, I wonder what's going on with that--he's on the 40-man, so he is automatically on the 60-man unless something wonky is going on.
                      He made the auxiliary roster. I thought he'd be ahead of Winkler for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        It was a big shock to me, and to my friends who are closer to the team than I am. I definitely had a Scooby-Doo moment. I wasn't paying attention to spring training that much, so I don't know how he'd been doing, but I thought he'd be on the "A" roster for ST 2.0 for sure. A service time issue? An attitude issue? An "Oh sh**, they found the holes in his swing" issue? I don't know.

As for who's going to start in that outfield, I figure it's Akiyama, Senzel, and Castellanos, the first and last because the organization spent so much on them in free agency and Senzel because he's a top pick, the fair-haired boy, etc. That leaves Winker, Ervin, Aquino, and Jankowski on the bench or on the taxi squad.

The only one of the whole bunch that I own in any league is Winker, and that's only because the price to keep him was reasonable and I didn't have that many keepers in that league. I wanted Castellanos, but the bidding went crazy right from the start.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports that the Orioles are interested in free agent outfielder Yasiel Puig and have made at least one offer.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I snagged Puig last night for $1. Lightning in a bottle in ATL?
                            Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                              I snagged Puig last night for $1. Lightning in a bottle in ATL?
                              Last night?? Cripes, did the rest of your league go fishing?

Comment

Working...
                              X