Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst auction blunder in 21 years of playing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst auction blunder in 21 years of playing...

I had a total brain fart last night and spent $28 on Chris Sale.

An uninjured Chris Sale would go for $50ish in my league. People were bidding against me, so nothing seemed odd until it ended. I was shocked to get him so cheaply. He slotted in as my ace.

That's what I get for being lazy and just using Forecaster spreadsheets from December and "winging it."

It's a keeper league, but that's a lot of cap room to fill for that purpose.

I was in a draft years ago when someone bid on Steve Olin after he had died. But I think that was only a buck at the end game.

Comment

The inexplicable thing about that to me is that you were bid up to $28. Even for a team aiming for 2021 and beyond, $27 seems obscenely high, and it seems highly improbable that another owner would also forget or not know Sale was out. Did you find out if that was the case, or if others were bidding on him to stash? His stash price would seem to me to be 1/4 of that in most leagues.

Comment

I have another thread ranking the TJ guys. A related question is what prices would you pay for them? Maybe I am way off, but I don't think any of them should be projected to go for double digits, right?

Comment

I paid 14 for Sale in an AL only...money well spent IMO.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I paid 14 for Sale in an AL only...money well spent IMO.
            Did your league add extra IL spots this year? Mine just voted to and I think it will increase the bidding on these guys a good bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              The inexplicable thing about that to me is that you were bid up to $28. Even for a team aiming for 2021 and beyond, $27 seems obscenely high, and it seems highly improbable that another owner would also forget or not know Sale was out. Did you find out if that was the case, or if others were bidding on him to stash? His stash price would seem to me to be 1/4 of that in most leagues.
              I find that a little inexplicable too. I mean, it's a 15-team mixed points league where SPs are more valuable than anything and priced like it -- the Verlanders of the world can get as high as $55-60. We get $100 worth of keepers each year ($5 minimum for a player)... so $20, yeah, I could see a handful of guys hanging in to there. $28, though, seems high.

Had we been in the same room, as 4-5 of us would have been before COVID, his status would've been discussed out loud during bidding and I would've bailed at $10.

Comment

Nobody mentioned he was out for the season? Tough room!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  For real. I'd have been compelled to chime in at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    It was 100% online with no audio, but yeah, no mention in the chat. Bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                      It was 100% online with no audio, but yeah, no mention in the chat. Bastards.
                      Your team will need to be good enough to survive until then, but toward the end of the season, you can always flip him to a rebuilder, even at that price.

Comment

I find that my pitching staff usually evolves through the course of the season. This one being so short, who knows. But I loaded my bench with SPs so I have some depth.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                          I was in a draft years ago when someone bid on Steve Olin after he had died. But I think that was only a buck at the end game.
                          That happened in a local league I joined a few years later. It was one of the "legendary" stories every year.
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Did your league add extra IL spots this year? Mine just voted to and I think it will increase the bidding on these guys a good bit.
                            Yes they did, but they'll try to divide Covid and regular IL so I don't know how easy it'll be to keep track.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Yes they did, but they'll try to divide Covid and regular IL so I don't know how easy it'll be to keep track.
                              Privacy laws are going to prevent MLB teams from disclosing if a player has COVID-19. But i guess going on the IL for "personal reasons" will be assumed to be the virus.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X