Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Teams Treat this like a Real Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Teams Treat this like a Real Season?

In other words.....will a team consider this 60-game shortened season like any other, and trade away top talent for veteran players to win this year? My guess is no, they won't. Maybe that will change as we get into late August, but with the trade deadline just 5 weeks after the season starting, and with this anything can happen year, I would highly doubt we see any major deals like we do at the deadline in other years.

Hard to say. A championship is a championship, right? Maybe some of the good teams see the chaotic nature of the season and stand pat. But maybe some teams that normally would have no shot over 162 games start hot and see a rare window to compete and go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Hard to say. A championship is a championship, right? Maybe some of the good teams see the chaotic nature of the season and stand pat. But maybe some teams that normally would have no shot over 162 games start hot and see a rare window to compete and go for it.
      I dunno. If you were the GM or owner, would you trade away a top prospect for 6-7 weeks of a pending free agent, to win in a year that most will say should be asterisked?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I dunno. If you were the GM or owner, would you trade away a top prospect for 6-7 weeks of a pending free agent, to win in a year that most will say should be asterisked?
        Asterisk or not, any team that wins this year will be flying that banner and wearing those rings, and touting this championship. You are probably right that there will be less deals, but if a team knows they can't win and another team thinks they can, I still see some deals being made, even if the seller doesn't get the top prospects they'd hope for.

Comment

I imagine that it will be interesting. Remember, there will be two draft classes for next year's minor leagues, so some teams might have a logjam of prospects. I doubt the top prospects move, but I could see a bunch of B- and C+ prospects changing teams. Assuming the season isn't aborted by then.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            I imagine that it will be interesting. Remember, there will be two draft classes for next year's minor leagues, so some teams might have a logjam of prospects. I doubt the top prospects move, but I could see a bunch of B- and C+ prospects changing teams. Assuming the season isn't aborted by then.
            I don't follow. There are a lot of roster spaces to be filled even in a contracted minors before you get to the B- and C+ prospects. Most teams added 10 or 15 new players through the draft and undrafted signings post-draft. Even if there is a limit of ~150 players in a domestic player development system next year, which isn't clear yet, C+ prospects in a deep system might go 40 players deep?

I do imagine there are going to be some weird dynamics at the low-A level, and maybe that's what you're referring to, where there will be a logjam from the 2019 and 2020 drafts plus international players ready graduate to a full-season affiliate. That will push some of the college players from 2019 and 2020 up to High-A or even Double-A sooner than they might normally go there. But as far as prospects trades resulting from that logjam, I can't imagine that happening. Teams just don't make those kind of trades. They'll rather stockpile prospects and find a place to play them.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              I don't follow. There are a lot of roster spaces to be filled even in a contracted minors before you get to the B- and C+ prospects. Most teams added 10 or 15 new players through the draft and undrafted signings post-draft. Even if there is a limit of ~150 players in a domestic player development system next year, which isn't clear yet, C+ prospects in a deep system might go 40 players deep?

I do imagine there are going to be some weird dynamics at the low-A level, and maybe that's what you're referring to, where there will be a logjam from the 2019 and 2020 drafts plus international players ready graduate to a full-season affiliate. That will push some of the college players from 2019 and 2020 up to High-A or even Double-A sooner than they might normally go there. But as far as prospects trades resulting from that logjam, I can't imagine that happening. Teams just don't make those kind of trades. They'll rather stockpile prospects and find a place to play them.
              That's what I was thinking about. And, no, they won't move them just to move them, but if they think it will help them win this year, I don't see why they wouldn't move a B- or C+ guy to give it a shot.

Comment

I'm with the majority here. Assuming the 60 games are counted as a year of service time, some teams with pending FA who don't compete and don't plan to resign them will be looking to move them. And while the return will be lower, there will still be a market.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  I'm with the majority here. Assuming the 60 games are counted as a year of service time, some teams with pending FA who don't compete and don't plan to resign them will be looking to move them. And while the return will be lower, there will still be a market.
                  I agree. The market will be very low. For instance, if the Dodgers aren’t in it, will they be able to get what they paid for Mookie, if they tried to move him? I doubt any package would come close.

Comment

I agree. The market will be very low. For instance, if the Dodgers aren’t in it, will they be able to get what they paid for Mookie, if they tried to move him? I doubt any package would come close.
                    I think virgo was talking more about guys who are about to enter free agency this off-season. The question is how much the contenders and would-be contenders will lowball their offers for such players.

I'll admit that I haven't looked at who will become a free agent after this season. Is there anyone who strikes anyone here as a difference-maker?
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      I think virgo was talking more about guys who are about to enter free agency this off-season. The question is how much the contenders and would-be contenders will lowball their offers for such players.

I'll admit that I haven't looked at who will become a free agent after this season. Is there anyone who strikes anyone here as a difference-maker?
                      Well, there's.....Mookie Betts.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post

It's a pretty crappy class overall...Realmuto, Semien, Springer, and then it drops off pretty steeply. It'll give owners a good excuse not to pay big.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

The odds of the Dodgers thinking that they are not contenders 30 or so games into the season when the deadline hits is pretty small. That's another factor. Almost everyone could theoretically be a contender. Except the Orioles, but they don't have anything to trade anyway.

Comment

Padre in 2021
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Yankees GM Brian Cashman said Tuesday that it's his understanding that teams won't be able to reveal when players go on the IL for COVID-19 this season.

MLB is going to try to play by privacy rules here, which is going to lead to plenty of speculation every time anyone is missing from the lineup. Let confusion reign.
                              Source: Bryan Hoch on Twitter
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X