Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madducks View Post
    I wonder what the NHL is going to do.
    The NHL is approved for a hub in Toronto because players only need to cross into Canada to start the season and cross back(?) when their season ends.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

According to Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Blue Jays are "looking at PNC Park" in Pittsburgh as "a potential site for some home games" in 2020.

The Pirates, coincidentally have a former Blue Jays coach as their manager and a former Blue Jays front office guy as their GM. So, i guess the Jays know a guy...or two.

ETA: I may have to get a Blue Jays hat now.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

they had been looking at Buffalo (AAA team), but apparently several players voiced that they should have a major league stadium ... still not resolved, 5 days to the first game ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Playing in another mlb teams stadium seems like a bad idea in this corona virus era. There must be an east coast AAA team with adequate facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
            There must be an east coast AAA team with adequate facilities.
            If the issue is primarily with lighting quality (which seems more like a want than a need to me), then I strongly doubt that any minor league stadium is going to work. If there is a desire to have sufficient workout space and room for people to spread out (like putting players in luxury suites instead of the locker room), there are likely adequate AAA options.

I see one mention of Truist Field in Charlotte (whether Dan Shulman has any inside knowledge remains to be seen though). PNC Field in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre or Coca-Cola Park in Allentown, PA both may be new enough to have the facilities needed, but could be difficult to fly into with a charter jet. Getting appropriate TV broadcast facilities set up at any of these parks in a little over a week will be a challenge though. We shall soon see if Toronto was assessing all possibilities over the past 1.5 months when they needed to be doing so.

The Toronto Blue Jays were told recently that the Canadian government will not allow them to play home games at the Rogers Centre this season, so they

Comment

Originally posted by Davros View Post
              If the issue is primarily with lighting quality (which seems more like a want than a need to me), then I strongly doubt that any minor league stadium is going to work. If there is a desire to have sufficient workout space and room for people to spread out (like putting players in luxury suites instead of the locker room), there are likely adequate AAA options.

I see one mention of Truist Field in Charlotte (whether Dan Shulman has any inside knowledge remains to be seen though). PNC Field in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre or Coca-Cola Park in Allentown, PA both may be new enough to have the facilities needed, but could be difficult to fly into with a charter jet. Getting appropriate TV broadcast facilities set up at any of these parks in a little over a week will be a challenge though. We shall soon see if Toronto was assessing all possibilities over the past 1.5 months when they needed to be doing so.

https://larrybrownsports.com/basebal...-season/559286
              Thank you. I found the article very informative.

Comment

Hazel Mae of MLB Network reports that the Blue Jays have been told they will play their home games at PNC Park in Pittsburgh in 2020.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Hazel Mae of MLB Network reports that the Blue Jays have been told they will play their home games at PNC Park in Pittsburgh in 2020.
                  yep, makes sense that they'd work this out. Maybe it's time for a road trip!!! oh wait, never mind ...
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

whoa - state of Pennsylvania won't allow the Jays to play in Pittsburgh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      whoa - state of Pennsylvania won't allow the Jays to play in Pittsburgh!!!
                      um, the season starts tomorrow, this is an awfully big issue to still be on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        um, the season starts tomorrow, this is an awfully big issue to still be on the table.
                        no kidding. The Jays first two series are away, but this is theatre of the absurd stuff.

Can the Jays just barnstorm this season?

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          no kidding. The Jays first two series are away, but this is theatre of the absurd stuff.

Can the Jays just barnstorm this season?
                          Wow, when I saw your post, I assumed you were kidding. This is crazy. What happened to the Buffalo plan?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Wow, when I saw your post, I assumed you were kidding. This is crazy. What happened to the Buffalo plan?
                            Reportedly the Blue Jays players lobbied to not play in any AAA stadium as there would not be the optimal training facilities or room for everyone to spread out. Buffalo was also deemed to need some improvements in lighting and and overall park technology for the team to have the same advantages as other MLB teams. I am not sure how long it would take to get Buffalo set up for video replay either.

“Most guys don’t want to play in a AAA ballpark,’’ Blue Jays outfielder Randal Grichuk said on a teleconference call Tuesday. “Training room, weight room, those aren’t really up to big-league standards.”
                            The Blue Jays were denied permission to play 'home' games at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, the Pennsylvania Department of Health announced Wednesday.

Management is listening to the players' concerns, and reliever Anthony Bass said Sunday that the team is working to secure a big-league facility in the U.S. before its home schedule begins on July 29.

"I had a chance to talk with (general manager Ross Atkins) yesterday after I was done pitching, and I just said, 'Look, we want to play in a major-league ballpark. We feel like that's the best opportunity for us.' And he agreed," Bass said, according to Sportsnet's Arden Zwelling. "He said, 'I listen to you guys loud and clear. And that's what we're going to do for you because that's what the team wants.'"
                            If Toronto Blue Jays players get their way, they won't be spending the summer in western New York.Though Buffalo's Sahlen Field is a leading contender to host the Blue Jays in 2020 after the Canadian government denied their request to play at Rogers Centre, the possibility of playing in a minor-league park isn't sitting well with the team. Management is listening to the players' concerns, and reliever Anthony Bass said Sunday that the team is working to secure a big-league facility in the U.S. before its home schedule begins on July 29."I had a chance to talk with (general manager Ross Atkins) yesterday after I was done pitching, and I just said, 'Look, we want to play in a major-league ballpark. We feel like that's the best opportunity for us.' And he agreed," Bass said, according to Sportsnet's Arden Zwelling. "He said, 'I listen to you guys loud and clear. And that's what we're going to do for you because that's what the team wants.'""That was pretty much echoed throughout the clubhouse that we want to be in a major league ballpark, wherever that is. That's really our focus right now," Bass added, according to Rob Gillies of The Associated Press.Buffalo would be an ideal location in some ways, as it's home to the Blue Jays' Triple-A affiliate and just two hours from Toronto. But the lighting, replay-review system, and broadcast facilities need upgrades to bring Sahlen Field to MLB standards. The clubhouses are also significantly smaller than in the majors, making social distancing more difficult.One MLB site the Blue Jays are now looking at for some of their home games is PNC Park, home of the Pittsburgh Pirates, sources told Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The Pirates' 2020 schedule doesn't overlap much with Toronto's slate, and Pittsburgh is also a short drive from Buffalo, where the Blue Jays' taxi squad would likely still be located. #BlueJays and #Pirates have conflicts on July 29 (day of Jays "home" opener), Sept. 8-9 and Sept. 21-24. #Pirates GM Ben Cherington and AGM Steve Sanders came over from Jays during the off-season. https://t.co/8XVJXcESMQ— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) July 20, 2020 Blue Jays players also want to avoid moving from Toronto - where COVID-19 numbers are declining - to an area of the United States where the virus is surging."We don't want to be in a place where it's a hot spot," Bass said. "We want to be where it's safe. A place where cases are going down or they're very low."The Blue Jays were optimistic the Canadian government would allow them to hold regular-season games in Toronto, with both the club and its opponents quarantined inside Rogers Centre's hotel. Ultimately, Public Health Canada denied their request, in part due to COVID-19 cases rising in states like Florida and Georgia. Teams located there would have entered Canada to play games.Although the Blue Jays were disappointed, players understand the reasoning behind the decision."COVID-19 still exists, and there are hardworking people on the front lines trying to battle the virus," ace Hyun-Jin Ryu said Saturday, according to Keegan Matheson of MLB.com. "You have to respect the Canadian government's decision to keep the nation safe."

Comment

Looks like Camden....loving it for their hitters if so.
                              10:22am: The O's have given their blessing, Jon Heyman of MLB Network tweets. 7:23am: Already bounced by Canada and turned away by …

Comment

Buffalo is the winner, per NY Gov Cuomo
                                Last edited by Judge Jude; 07-24-2020, 11:18 AM.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X