Short Season Pitcher values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Season Pitcher values

Not sure how to adjust values. It seems like rock solid proven closers go up, most starters go down, but maybe veteran aces who might not be babied go way up?

I have a really pricey verlander that I kept before he got hurt. We are now being given a free pass to cut anyone we kept way back in March. Torn on JV. He should be healed, but is he worth more or less than before?

I think JV will be worth less. Under normal circumstances, I think they'd just cut Verlander loose and let him determine his pitch counts. But coming off an injury, with the Astros virtually certain to make the playoffs, I think they'll ease him in early.

I think the other valuable pitcher will be the multi-inning middle reliever - win opportunities for them should abound early in the year.

The other one I'd think hard about if I had a competitive team is Corey Kluber. He has a pretty well-deserved rep as a slow starter.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      The other one I'd think hard about if I had a competitive team is Corey Kluber. He has a pretty well-deserved rep as a slow starter.
      Slow starter or better after the weather heats up?

Comment

All starting pitcher values are way down. Many teams have already said their starters will get 3-4 IP through the first two turns, which is already 1-6th of the season.

I think most SPs won’t get Win potential in possibly 1/3 of their early season starts, so middle relievers will clean up there.

I’d feel very comfortable in redrafts going with a bunch of middle relievers and closers and a small handful of starters.

Comment

Well, my league will have a 2 week playoff, so if I can survive till then, the final weeks of the season will matter most. My team is stacked, so I think I can afford to take a hit early. Still, the money might be better spent landing Trout or a couple of the many stud hitters available, or split up on more pitching depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Slow starter or better after the weather heats up?
            A fine question. I'm not sure if I had a competitive to really strong keeper list going in that I'd be willing to find out.

Comment

Another available name I don't know how to value--Carlos Carrasco. Given his cancer treatment, is he even going to pitch this year? You think we will have an answer on that any time soon?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Another available name I don't know how to value--Carlos Carrasco. Given his cancer treatment, is he even going to pitch this year? You think we will have an answer on that any time soon?
                So far, he's said he's going to pitch. The Indians still have him listed as their 3rd SP. I suspect given that he has/had CML (Chronic Myeloid Leukemia) that his treatment with Gleevec was successful and he's good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  All starting pitcher values are way down. Many teams have already said their starters will get 3-4 IP through the first two turns, which is already 1-6th of the season.

I think most SPs won’t get Win potential in possibly 1/3 of their early season starts, so middle relievers will clean up there.

I’d feel very comfortable in redrafts going with a bunch of middle relievers and closers and a small handful of starters.
                  I don't understand this at all. Isn't the purpose of having a spring training 2.0 so that starting pitchers can go 5+ innings when the season starts?
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    I don't understand this at all. Isn't the purpose of having a spring training 2.0 so that starting pitchers can go 5+ innings when the season starts?
                    I guess it just won't be long enough for arms to get stretched out.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      They may be taking advantage of the expanded rosters for the first two weeks, which will probably consist mostly of additional pitchers.

Comment

just a guess but the start dates have been communicated well in advance now, I gotta believe that most SPs have been on a throwing routine on their own (with guidance from their pitching coaches via email / zoom / whatever) ... I'll bet that most SPs will be good to go 5 IPs when the season starts.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                        X