No announcement yet.

RJ Greatest B&W Movie commentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, Sunset Blvd. had moved to the top of my list. All of the movies I've picked thus far I rated as 10s on IMBD and that was my last 10.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Witness for the Prosecution is a great pick. If it was still there, it would have been tempting to have a 4th Billy Wilder movie on the docket.
      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Sahara is a great but seldom-seen movie. Like "Sierra Madre", there are no women in it (try making a movie like that nowadays). It's can be called a war movie, of course, but really it is more of a tale of the triumph of the human spirit, of overcoming impossible odds to achieve a really important goal. It is based on real life events. The Germans were advancing in North Africa and there was a key battle where the allies stopped them at El Alamein. Probably the particular events in the movie were not very much like what actually happened but what a great, uplifting story. It was remade in the last couple decades and I tried watching some of it but I found it very disappointing in comparison to the original.
        Last edited by rhd; 06-23-2020, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Charles Laughton was great in "Witness for the Prosecution" and Dietrich gave a great performance, too. The plot twists and turns keep you interested all the way through to the surprising ending. One of the best courtroom dramas.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            We settled on 10...it seems like most people will want to do more, but my list is already almost exhausted so I'm probably out for extra rounds.
            There are so many great movies left. But I'm glad to see there's this much knowledge and interest here in old movies. You guys are better than I was expecting.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
              There are so many great movies left. But I'm glad to see there's this much knowledge and interest here in old movies. You guys are better than I was expecting.
              Agreed! I have pretty much zero friends or family that truly love B&W like I do. My wife will watch anything with me, but she doesnt really know many of them.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Agreed! I have pretty much zero friends or family that truly love B&W like I do. My wife will watch anything with me, but she doesnt really know many of them.
                I still have 2 movies in my top 10 OVERALL that I havent put in yet. And another at #11 that looks like I wont get in.

Comment

I still have 2 movies in my top 10 OVERALL that I havent put in yet. And another at #11 that looks like I wont get in.
                  So are you saying that no one else has picked a movie in your top 10?
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Mith. WTF. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was supposed to be my coupe de grace 10th round pick. You're KILLING me, smalls.
                    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      So are you saying that no one else has picked a movie in your top 10?
                      No, there are 5 B&W movies in my top 10. 3 are on our list but I put 2 on myself. Only 1 movie in my top 10 has been picked by someone else (Casablanca). So I've skipped over the other 2 several times.

Comment

I have a very difficult time choosing a top 10 B&W movie list. After my big 3 Bogie flicks of Casablanca, Big Sleep, and Maltese. Then Double Indemnity and Sunset Blvd. The other 5 are flexible.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                          Mith. WTF. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was supposed to be my coupe de grace 10th round pick. You're KILLING me, smalls.
                          Well you stole Clerks!!!

Comment

• I said I'd have been useless at this. Evidence: Of the 60 films drafted, I have seen 17, many of which were released after 1969.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Persepolis - Wow, a B&W animated movie. I was not familiar w it at all. It looks like something I want to watch. But I dont see a free way to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                                Mith. WTF. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was supposed to be my coupe de grace 10th round pick. You're KILLING me, smalls.
                                I posted elsewhere that my list for this draft started and ended with Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

I think I've seen 10 movies picked total
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X