RJ Greatest B&W Movie commentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    I gotta say, nice work with those last two picks! Superman & the Mole Men, and Meshes of the Afternoon - after a quick google I want to watch them both!
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? would've been my next pick.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? would've been my next pick.
      whew! I timed that one well ...
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I gotta say, nice work with those last two picks! Superman & the Mole Men, and Meshes of the Afternoon - after a quick google I want to watch them both!
        Yeah me too.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I was wavering between two foreign language films for my next pick and La Dolce Vita was one of them. Hopefully the other one makes it to me.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Oooh Ball of Fire! Great pick. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a big fan of Stanwyck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Oooh Ball of Fire! Great pick. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a big fan of Stanwyck.
              It's my favorite of all the screwball comedies. And Stanwyck, despite a very different role from Double Indemnity, is just as charming.

Comment

• How many rounds did we decide on?
                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                  How many rounds did we decide on?
                  We settled on 10...it seems like most people will want to do more, but my list is already almost exhausted so I'm probably out for extra rounds.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    We settled on 10...it seems like most people will want to do more, but my list is already almost exhausted so I'm probably out for extra rounds.
                    Yeah....I think after 10, I'm done.

Comment

How many rounds did we decide on?
                      some wanted 10, but some people wanted 12 ... and some felt they should have a right to grieve any decisions ... and then there's the Designated Substiution pick ... wait a minute, I think I'm getting confused ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

some wanted 10, but some people wanted 12 ... and some felt they should have a right to grieve any decisions ... and then there's the Designated Substiution pick ... wait a minute, I think I'm getting confused ...
                        So I have to file with the Players Association? Damn.

Comment

So I have to file with the Players Association? Damn.
                          I'm out!

On an unrelated note, how does Sunset Boulevard last until round 7?!
                          "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up."
                          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Yeah....I think after 10, I'm done.
                            I'm going to have to make some hard decisions in the last few rounds. I still have 6 or 7 more movies I want on my list. Well, maybe some of you will make my choices for me.

Comment

• I was going to pick Sunset Blvd almost every round, but decided to forgo another film noir. One of my all time favorites.

Love the monkey burial scene.

I also wondered how the Third Man lasted so long.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                I also wondered how the Third Man lasted so long.
                                Agreed. Fantastic movie. That was on my list, but I couldn't pass up having a clean pair of spats.

Comment

Working...
                                X