RJ Greatest B&W Movie commentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmaeroff View Post
    Thanks to whoever picked Nosferatu. I wanted to pick a silent film for Round 4, and I couldn't decide between Nosferatu & Metropolis, but then I didn't have to decide.
    We have names. (Just kidding around)
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by jmaeroff View Post
      Thanks to whoever picked Nosferatu. I wanted to pick a silent film for Round 4, and I couldn't decide between Nosferatu & Metropolis, but then I didn't have to decide.
      You're welcome. I would have taken Metropolis if it made it back to me. Not that I needed a second silent movie, but I'd make room for both.
      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• I'm actually pretty happy with my list so far:

Young Frankenstein
        Double Indemnity
        Strangers on a Train
        Nosferatu
        On The Waterfront

Outside of missing Maltese Falcon in the first round, I'm loving my list.

Comment

• I would've picked On the Waterfront if it had made it back to me.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I would've picked On the Waterfront if it had made it back to me.
            I was kind of surprised it was still out there. I had intended on taking something else, which I'm hoping will still make it back to me out of the turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
              I was kind of surprised it was still out there. I had intended on taking something else, which I'm hoping will still make it back to me out of the turn.
              I debated between it and AQOTWF but already had a Brando flic.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                I'm actually pretty happy with my list so far:

Young Frankenstein
                Double Indemnity
                Strangers on a Train
                Nosferatu
                On The Waterfront

That is an excellent list by me
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Liberty Valance was on my list.

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend"
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Liberty Valance was on my list.

Concur. Definitely on the list. Considered but couldn't pass up Brando.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Liberty Valance was on my list.

One of the great underrated quotes of movie history.

Comment

• Requiem is another one that had one of the great endings of any film. For lack of a better word, it was bittersweet. Sad that Mountain ended up like that but such a noble, unselfish, heroic act to bail Maish out while sacrificing his own dignity. Anthony Quinn nailed that role. Jackie Gleason was convincing w his performance, too.

Comment

• Liberty Valance also had a poignant act of self-sacrifice. Instead of his usual role as the hero that saves everybody in the end and gets the girl, Wayne played the unfortunate soul that gives the girl away to his rival. The "steak" scene is a classic.

Comment

• Updated List
                            Originally posted by Long John View Post
                            Young Frankenstein
                            Double Indemnity
                            Strangers on a Train
                            Nosferatu
                            On The Waterfront
                            Some Like It Hot

Comment

• Nobody's perfect!!

Comment

• I gotta say, nice work with those last two picks! Superman & the Mole Men, and Meshes of the Afternoon - after a quick google I want to watch them both!
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X