RJ Greatest B&W Movie commentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Seventh Seal was under consideration for my next pick.
    When my wife watched it with me it really freaked her out and she refuses to watch it again.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
      We hit the first one that I haven't seen - 7 Samurai
      I watched it years ago, and while i appreciated it, it didn't wow me
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        I watched it years ago, and while i appreciated it, it didn't wow me
        I feel pretty much the same way. I had it on my list, but doubt I would have actually picked it. I can see why it is considered a classic though.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          When my wife watched it with me it really freaked her out and she refuses to watch it again.
          Because of the movie or because you were with her?
          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
            Because of the movie or because you were with her?
            Make your pick already and I'll tell you

Comment

How did Schindler's List make it through almost four entire rounds?!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Although it is truly a fantastic movie and i remember being emotionally worn out after watching it, I have no desire to watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Although it is truly a fantastic movie and i remember being emotionally worn out after watching it, I have no desire to watch it again.
                  Me neither, but it's still an all-time classic by any metric.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Me neither, but it's still an all-time classic by any metric.
                    Oh indeed it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      weird psychological thing at play here ... i figured since it didn't get picked first or second that I must have missed a discussion which made it ineligible ... either that, or I thought that It's a Wonderful Life was a better move ... no, that's not it ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Thanks to whoever picked Nosferatu. I wanted to pick a silent film for Round 4, and I couldn't decide between Nosferatu & Metropolis, but then I didn't have to decide.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          I am picking based on movies I enjoy and am willing to watch at least twice.

If I was picking on merit or critical acclaim I would have taken it or Citizen Kane with the first pick. Neither were on my top 28 list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            I am picking based on movies I enjoy and am willing to watch at least twice.

If I was picking on merit or critical acclaim I would have taken it or Citizen Kane with the first pick. Neither were on my top 28 list.
                            While I missed out on some of my favorites I am kind of proud that I snagged 5 out of my top 10. Especially with this crowd. You all have made the rest of my list look like shredded wheat.

Comment

• Love the Thin Man pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                Love the Thin Man pick.
                                That series is great!
                                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Working...
                                X