No announcement yet.

RJ Greatest B&W Movie commentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife and I are going to eat some Chinese and watch the 1957 Baby Face Nelson staring Mickey Rooney tonight.

Comment

• I still think that Cagney's character was one of the most chilling psychopaths in cinema history.

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I'm happy with my list.

Young Frankenstein - 1.06
        Double Indemnity - 2.03
        Strangers on a Train - 3.06
        Nosferatu (19222) - 4.03
        On The Waterfront - 5.06
        Some Like It Hot - 6.03
        Sunset Boulevard - 7.06
        Clerks - 8.03
        White Heat - 9.06
        Postman Always Rings Twice - 10.03

Bonus
        Sabrina (1954) - 11.06
        Good Night, and Good Luck - 12.03
        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
          I'm happy with my list.

Young Frankenstein - 1.06
          Double Indemnity - 2.03
          Strangers on a Train - 3.06
          Nosferatu (19222) - 4.03
          On The Waterfront - 5.06
          Some Like It Hot - 6.03
          Sunset Boulevard - 7.06
          Clerks - 8.03
          White Heat - 9.06
          Postman Always Rings Twice - 10.03

Bonus
          Sabrina (1954) - 11.06
          Good Night, and Good Luck - 12.03
          Easily my favorite list. Nice job Long John!
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
            That was fun. Here are some more that I either feel should have gotten on or are personal favorites:

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Unbelievable that out of 92 films selected this classic wasnt selected. It is #25 on AFI's 100 greatest movies list.
            Der Blaue Engel (The Blue Angel) (1930) - This is the film that brought Marlene Dietrich to international attention. It was shot in both German and English, including some of the song lyrics. Dietrich had virtually no pro experience singing before this but "Falling in Love Again" went on to become a classic.
            City Lights (1931) - I wish I could have gotten this one on myself. I dont go in much for silent films but I really liked this one. It has one of the best endings of any film. #11 on AFI's list.
            The Last Picture Show (1971) - Really surprised this didnt get on since it's relatively contemporary so most movie buffs should have seen it. #95 on AFI's list.
            A Raisin in the Sun (1961) - Another one I wish I could have gotten on.
            Inherit the Wind (1960) - There have been several productions of this but the 1960 version w Spencer Tracy is my favorite.
            The Miracle Worker (1962) - Great human story about the life of young Helen Keller and the teacher that helped her learn how to communicate. Great Oscar-winning performance by Anne Bancroft.
            The Killers (1946) - This was the other crime drama/film noir that I was considering. It was Burt Lancaster's film debut.
            Sergeant York (1941) - Charming film loosely based on a real story.
            How Green Was My Valley (1941) - Charming, nostalgic tale of life in 19th-century Welsh mining town.
            Baby Doll (1956) - I love Tennessee Williams' works and this was based on one of his plays. Features some scenes considered sexually suggestive and indecent for the times and altho it was set and filmed in the South ironically it was banned many places in the South, as well as elsewhere, including some entire countries. It was Eli Wallach's film debut.
            The Three Faces of Eve (1957) - Great performance by Joanne Woodward switching back and forth between 3 personalities for which she won an Oscar. BAsed on a true story.
            Anna and the King of Siam (1946) - This is the earlier, non-musical version of "The King and I". BAsed on a real story. It's more true to the book than "King and I". Strange casting, tho, w Rex Harrison and Lee J. Cobb as Siamese.
            Camille (1936) - This is basically a film version of "La Traviata". It's one of the all-time greatest tearjerkers and one of the great stories of ultimate self-sacrifice.
            The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) - This was the other film I referred to before that has one color scene in it. Hard to classify this film - it has elements of film noir, horror and sci-fi.
            The Fugitive Kind (1960) - Another film based on a Tennessee Williams play. Dark and powerful story starring Marlon Brando.
            The Ox-Bow Incident (1942) - Great western crime drama showing the evils of vigilantes taking the law into their own hands.
            Cape Fear (1962) - This is the original - much better than the remake. Robert Mitchum gives a riveting performance and I think should have been nominated for an Oscar.
            A Face in the Crowd (1957) - Powerful performance by Andy Griffith in his film debut. Another performance that I think deserved Oscar nomination.
            Oliver Twist (1948) - One of Charles Dickens' classic stories. There are many versions of this but this one is my favorite, w Alec Guinness as Fagin.
            Pygmalion (1938) - This is the earlier, non-musical version of "My Fair Lady".
            Murder, Inc. (1960) - This is a somewhat obscure film noir/crime drama that is based on true events. Great performance by Peter Falk early in his career.
            So Long At the Fair (1950) - I guess you could call this a personal "cheeseball" of mine. It's about a visit to Paris by a brother and sister during which there is a "disappearance" of not only the brother but also his hotel room. It's a fascinating mystery which has a happy ending. Stars a young Jean Simmons and Dirk Bogarde.
            The Night My Number Came Up (1955) - This is another "cheeseball" of mine. Pretty obscure, it is about a plane that crashes in the wilderness. A guy has a dream about it and the rescue operation is undertaken based on his dream, which ends up being successful.
            Ride the Pink Horse (1948) - Another "cheeseball". This is a somewhat obscure, charming film starring Robert Montgomery. Thomas Gomez gave a great performance and was nominated for an Oscar.
            Goodbye, My Lady (1956) - Still another "cheeseball". This is a charming "boy and his dog" story that has a sad but satisfying ending. Walter Brennan gives an excellent performance, and the other actors are very good as well.
            Solaris (1968 Russian TV version) - I wanted to include this one, too. I dont go in much for science fiction but I love this production. It was remade as a regular Russian movie and also a Hollywood movie but this version is my favorite. The love story is touching and explores the fascinating subject of love between humans and human-looking inanimate beings.

So many more that I could list here that I didnt, including some in my personal top 100. Some of these are available on YT for free.
            If we went deeper 8 of these would have been potential picks for me. To Kill a Mockingbird is my top pick of these and on my short list of what was left.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
              Anna and the King of Siam (1946) - This is the earlier, non-musical version of "The King and I". BAsed on a real story. It's more true to the book than "King and I". Strange casting, tho, w Rex Harrison and Lee J. Cobb as Siamese.
              Great. Now I have to get Lee J. Cobb trying to sing Que Sera Sera out of my head. Thanks.

Comment

• I think most everyone that lives in or near Chicago with even a slight interest in Gangsters knows that Dillinger was shot coming out of the Biograph Theater. But do they know what movie he saw?

I did not until I read this book Public Enemies recommended in the RJ book thread. The movie was called Manhattan Melody. Staring Clark Gable, Myrna Loy and William Powell. It won an Oscar for Best Story.

Friday was dinner and movie. I suggest this one. She agreed.

It was really well done. I would have picked it in our Black and White movie draft if I had been aware of it.

Funny how sometimes the dots get connected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Duck Soup is a riot.
                  Yep, watched tonight for first time, great fun.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Yep, watched tonight for first time, great fun.
                    One of my fav Marx Bros movies. Glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      One of my fav Marx Bros movies. Glad you enjoyed it.
                      Yep...I'm renting as many of the picks that I haven't seen as I can from the library.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• The Coen Brothers made a black and white movie in 2001 titled The Man Who Wasn't There. Had many familiar faces, including the star Billy Bob Thornton.

I was excited to find this out about 10 days or so ago. Mrs. Gregg and had a great dinner and made that the movie of choice. It was beautifully filmed, outstanding acting, decent plot. I just didn't love it. In fact it was a bit disappointing.

I wanted to love it. It wouldn't make my team in this draft. I am not sure why.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          The Coen Brothers made a black and white movie in 2001 titled The Man Who Wasn't There. Had many familiar faces, including the star Billy Bob Thornton.

I was excited to find this out about 10 days or so ago. Mrs. Gregg and had a great dinner and made that the movie of choice. It was beautifully filmed, outstanding acting, decent plot. I just didn't love it. In fact it was a bit disappointing.

I wanted to love it. It wouldn't make my team in this draft. I am not sure why.
                          Coen Brothers can be hit or miss depending on your expectations. I think Barton Fink is fantastic, but not everyone agrees. I have not seen this yet, but I intend to at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                            Coen Brothers can be hit or miss depending on your expectations. I think Barton Fink is fantastic, but not everyone agrees. I have not seen this yet, but I intend to at some point.
                            The Man who Wasn't There was a hit for me - Barton Fink was just too weird

Miller's crossing is solid

Blood Simple is outstanding film noir in color - it only feels back and white

Comment

• Sweet Smell of Success was great, hard to believe it wasn't nominated for a single Oscar.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Sweet Smell of Success was great, hard to believe it wasn't nominated for a single Oscar.
                                Match me Sidney.

One of my all time favorites.

Comment

Working...
                                X