Clear All

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    2.02 Citizen Ken
    Stellar pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Stellar pick.
      in the Citizen Ken version he dies muttering "rose ... pete rose ..."
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Grapes of Wrath deserved to be a 1st round pick. I never get tired of watching it. The book was very controversial for its time and was banned in many places. The movie has a much more satisfying ending than the book, which ends very darkly. It's disturbing to know that things really were like this in the US during the depression, w farmers destroying crops in order to drive the prices up while thousands of Americans starved to death. Several very powerful scenes in the film, particularly Muley Graves explaining how he got thrown off his farm and watched it being bulldozed and the traveler at the camp telling the new migrants about his tragedy in California the year before, and Casey's death scene. John Carradine plays a very different kind of role than his usual ones but does an excellent job with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
          Grapes of Wrath deserved to be a 1st round pick.
          Hmm, didn't you just decide it didn't?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Hmm, didn't you just decide it didn't?
            Couldnt put both Hustler and Grapes in but both deserved to be.

Comment

A great way to describe how B&W movies make one feel :

"black and white changes a movie thematically, providing atmosphere, tone, and visually providing stark contrasts and a dreamlike view of the world. It can at once make a film feel more real (like time period accurate film and photographs) while making it feel unreal (real life is in color)."
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                The Hustler has one of the best endings of any film. It really ends on the climax and then Eddie walks away. Sad because of Sarah's death but very satisfying because he overcomes his demons and finally beats Fats and stands up to Bert, too. Newman studied shooting pool w pool expert Willie Mosconi for the part but Mosconi still made some of the shots for Newman in the film. OTOH, Gleason already was an accomplished player and made all of his own shots in the film. There was no actual Minnesota Fats before the film came out but the character was based a real pool hustler named Rudolf Wanderone who adopted the "Fats" name after the film. Great score by Kenyon Hopkins, also.
                I have a signed Mosconi cue ball and photo hanging on the wall by my pool table in the basement. I am a big fan.

Comment

Really liked the Psycho pick. Definitely a first rounder. Citizen Kane is a classic.

Personally, I put Hustler way ahead of Grapes of Wrath. I see Grapes as a bit of a reach. It probably would have made it back to you. I feel like the change in ending actually hurts the story.
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Double Indemnity is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. Barbara Stanwyck is soooo hot!
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Double Indemnity is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. Barbara Stanwyck is soooo hot!

Comment

Exhibit A
                        Attached Files

Comment

I am a bit angry that the Big Sleep did not make it back to me. It is my favorite Boggy movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            I am a bit angry that the Big Sleep did not make it back to me. It is my favorite Boggy movie.
                            Really? Your favorite? Give me Casablana and To Have and Have Not over the Big Sleep. (To each their own!)
                            “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                              Really? Your favorite? Give me Casablana and To Have and Have Not over the Big Sleep. (To each their own!)
                              While I like Casablanca , I am one of the few who think it a bit over rated.

Comment

On any given day Big Sleep, Casablanca, and Maltese can be my favorite.

Casablanca over rated???? Any particular reason(s)?

Comment

Working...
                                X