RJ Greatest B&W Movie commentary thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Apparently not as Steve takes the movie I was picking first.
    Originally posted by Long John View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Did you really think no one else was going to have Casablanca as a top 10 pick?
    And now I am perturbed as you have just selected my true first pick, one selection ahead of me.

This will be a draft like no other.
    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Yep, Long John grabbed my other #1 pick with Young Frankenstein. Well played sir.
      I was actually hoping to go Maltese Falcon and Young Frankenstein as my 1.06 and 2.03.

Comment

I was actually hoping to go Maltese Falcon and Young Frankenstein as my 1.06 and 2.03.
        I had 12 Angry and Young Frank as tied for my #1. I knew neither would get back to me so I went with the acting over the humor.

Comment

I'm a bit confused. Did you really think no one else was going to have Casablanca as a top 10 pick?
          It would have to have been top 4 pick, not top 10. And I was doubtful it would go in the top 4. I was referring more to the later round picks though
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I forgot I had to PM TG. Just did that. Apologies.

Comment

What do PM & TG stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by jmaeroff View Post
                Private Message, TranaGreg (me).

I've been offline this aft, will be making my pick shortly ...

edit: I'm AWOL this pm ... will pick asap ...
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Post meridiem and Thank God. Just grateful that the world didn't explode prior to the sun reaching it's zenith today.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    1.07 Psycho
                    I don't think Steve was eligible for this one.

Comment

I was thinking Psycho would be a first-round pick. Really strong. Never gets old.

Comment

I was thinking Psycho would be a first-round pick. Really strong. Never gets old.
                        Yep. It's hard for people today to imagine the terror this film gave audiences.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I had it at #11 on my list.

I have a pretty long list.

Comment

rhd snags my next pick The Hustler.

Comment

Rhd has another pick start of round 2.

Hustler is a fantastic movie.

Comment

The Hustler has one of the best endings of any film. It really ends on the climax and then Eddie walks away. Sad because of Sarah's death but very satisfying because he overcomes his demons and finally beats Fats and stands up to Bert, too. Newman studied shooting pool w pool expert Willie Mosconi for the part but Mosconi still made some of the shots for Newman in the film. OTOH, Gleason already was an accomplished player and made all of his own shots in the film. There was no actual Minnesota Fats before the film came out but the character was based a real pool hustler named Rudolf Wanderone who adopted the "Fats" name after the film. Great score by Kenyon Hopkins, also.

Comment

Working...
                                X