Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RJ Farmers Almanac or Since I got nothing better to do....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJ Farmers Almanac or Since I got nothing better to do....

So, since the lockdown, not only have I (and apparently others) been cooking more, I've been building up the garden quite a bit. I don't have much room (small Patio) so it isn't anything special, but others might have fun chronicling their exploits and trading tips. My garden is all in containers as it's on a patio, mostly ornamental plants as again, not much room and though there are some sunny spots, we have a couple of tall Palms and Tall Bird of Paradise plants that though beautiful, can obscure sunlight.

Other than that we have heirloom Tomato plants (6) which are growing our of their minds, comingled with peppers. The cluster tomato's are already starting to grow fruit, and stand about 1-2 ft tall. The other are freaking vined to about 6 ft Not sure if I did this right, but I trellised them and away they went.

We also have a few hanging baskets of herbs, pretty much the traditional--Basil, Thyme, Sage, Oregano, Mint, Lavender, Lemongrass (that gets huge) Plus Borage, which I don't use in cooking, but helps with pest control for the tomatos

As mentioned in the cooking thread--I'm going to try some microgreens. It's very easy, I've got the containers already (if you try this don't fall for the buy a ton of stuff upsell, small containers are juts fine) some soil and some seeds, there are quite a few types you can grow, just read up on it so you can pick your preference. I'm going to try out the Mixes, Mild, Spicy and Radish--I get my stuff from Johnny's seeds. All in all you can rotate the planting every 5 days as they harvest from 9-14 days. This assures you fresh microgreens whenever you need em. I'll let you know how the first round goes.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

We do all the herbs you listed except Borage, Thyme, and Lemongrass. Haven't done any produce for years; I have a black thumb for anything but the most rugged of plants.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'm trying out trashcan potatoes.
      started with 10 inches of soil some seed potatoes and then 2 more inches of soil in a big trashcan with holes drilled in the bottom
      as plants grow, maybe every 6 inches, you cover up all but the leaves with more soil, continue until the pot is full. Wait until late summer and you should have an entire trashcan full of potatoes.

I've got a few cherry tomato plants, a pepper plant and a cucumber plant. I've also got potted lemon and lime bushes. The lemon looks pretty sketch right now though. Trying to nurse it back to health.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Lots to cover here.

We moved from a condo in the big city to a house in the countryside this past winter - well for water, septic, one and a bit acres. The yard / field was a real mess so we've had a few young guys doing the landscaping (more like terraforming), including building us 3 4x8 raised beds which were put in place yesterday. The last delivery of topsoil came this morning (20 yards, for a total of 50). We plan on doing a lot of unusual / heirloom stuff - we picked up a bunch of heirloom tomato seedlings on the weekend, and I've had some seeds for long island cheese pumpkins for a couple of years - soaked & planted them last week, 10 are now peeking through their little soil pods. Long island cheese pumpkins for those who don't know make awesome pumpkin soup (google them!). We also have some unusual kale seedlings we came across, and a handful of normal peppers.
        We'll also do a bunch of herbs ... and maybe some sprouts as well!
        One caveat tho ... we noticed a couple of rabbits playing nearby yesterday evening ... I may have to start looking into animal management ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Very cool stuff

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          One caveat tho ... we noticed a couple of rabbits playing nearby yesterday evening ... I may have to start looking into animal management ...
          You need to get you some stray cats. Put out food for a week and you'll have some.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            Very cool stuff

You need to get you some stray cats. Put out food for a week and you'll have some.
            we've seen a couple of those around as well ... and it's not unusual to hear coyotes in the evenings
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I can attest this works. Our lot was nearly overrun by mice, moles, voles, chipmunks, rabbits and squirrels. It took a couple chicken carcasses to attract the cats, but we've had a group of about six routinely patrolling now for a few years. They've reduced the mice, moles, and voles to pretty much zero, and taken out about 90% of the chipmunks and rabbits. The squirrels have done pretty well against them, but they're not garden destroyers.

One of them's the biggest Himalayan I've ever seen - the thing might be half Lynx given the size it is. It's even scared off a mated pair of raccoons that occasionally visited.

Comment

I've got between 3 and 6 cats that show up in my yard night to night. Most have homes, but one of them does not... he's pretty beat up and nearly blind. If it wasn't for him I would stop putting out food. I've got a racoon that shows up nightly as well and eats cat food. I don't want to feed him, but if I'm putting out cat food, there's not much I can do about it. Now I'm worried that I'm not supplying him with a balanced diet. I may have to start buying some berries and fruit for him as well. If I'm going to make him dependent on me for food, I should at least give him a proper diet, right?

Comment

I've got between 3 and 6 cats that show up in my yard night to night. Most have homes, but one of them does not... he's pretty beat up and nearly blind. If it wasn't for him I would stop putting out food. I've got a racoon that shows up nightly as well and eats cat food. I don't want to feed him, but if I'm putting out cat food, there's not much I can do about it. Now I'm worried that I'm not supplying him with a balanced diet. I may have to start buying some berries and fruit for him as well. If I'm going to make him dependent on me for food, I should at least give him a proper diet, right?
                  Maybe some Purina Racoon Chow ? possum chow might work too
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    Maybe some Purina Racoon Chow ? possum chow might work too
                    Apparently they enjoy Doritos.
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      Apparently they enjoy Doritos.
                      I enjoy Doritos.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        I enjoy Doritos.
                        Are you also a cat?

Comment

Feed the cat. Shoot the raccoon.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Or visa versa.

Unless the cat is KS

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              he's sooooo cute though

Comment

Working...
                              X