Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is wrong with this picture Chicago Tribune!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with this picture Chicago Tribune!!

First the headline:

Lootings spread into neighborhoods as Chicago sees one of its most violent weekends with more than 80 shot

Then this taken from the body of the article:

It capped a weekend that was one of the most violent in recent years in Chicago, with more than 80 people shot, nearly 20 of them killed.

This is NOT REPORTING!

This is NOT helpful!!

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    First the headline:

Lootings spread into neighborhoods as Chicago sees one of its most violent weekends with more than 80 shot

Then this taken from the body of the article:

It capped a weekend that was one of the most violent in recent years in Chicago, with more than 80 people shot, nearly 20 of them killed.

This is NOT REPORTING!

This is NOT helpful!!
    ??? Is something missing?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Yeah I read it over and over and couldn't figure it out either. What's wrong with it

Comment

My guess is that most people will just read the headline and assume 80 people were KILLED. Then it circulates throughout the country that 80 people died.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I was wondering if it's the use of the word "capped"?
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

A Mystery wrapped in an enigma...….my favorite kind
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I don’t get it either.

“Shot” does not mean “killed.”

Comment

Is that just an average weekend in Chicago ? Is that the issue ?
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yup, I'm stumped, too. This looks pretty factual to me - yes, there were lootings. Yes, they spread into neighborhoods. Yes, those numbers (sadly) look accurate. And, yes, even for Chicago, those numbers are high.

I'm guessing the picture(s) will be pretty sensationalistic.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

How many people were shot?

How many people were killed?

Responsible reporting would give the actual number. This was written to exaggerate the numbers. More than 80 is that one more than 80, 5 more than 80? Nearly 20 means NOT 20.

What is wrong with saying 81 people shot with 18 killed? You know report facts.

Comment

How many people were shot?

How many people were killed?

Responsible reporting would give the actual number. This was written to exaggerate the numbers. More than 80 is that one more than 80, 5 more than 80? Nearly 20 means NOT 20.

What is wrong with saying 81 people shot with 18 killed? You know report facts.
                      Did they notate that in the article? If so, what's the issue--we should all be reading past the headlines anyway--right?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Did they notate that in the article? If so, what's the issue--we should all be reading past the headlines anyway--right?
                        No sir. The first was the headline the second was in the body of the article.

Comment

No sir. The first was the headline the second was in the body of the article.
                          They think we're much smarter than we are then.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

They think we're much smarter than we are then.
                            Or they want you to think the problem is worse than it is.

And that is ridiculous as it is so so bad already. What about just giving accurate facts and letting us come to our own thoughts and conclusions?

Comment

Or they want you to think the problem is worse than it is.

And that is ridiculous as it is so so bad already. What about just giving accurate facts and letting us come to our own thoughts and conclusions?
                              well if 80 people are being shot in one weekend, and 20 killed, the problem is actually pretty damn bad, regardless of what language is being used to report it. I'd suggest that the media coverage of it is low on the "bad" list of things here.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X