HDID Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDID Trade

Decided to trade some lower risk, higher floor guys for some higher ceiling, higher risk guys. Since this is a 14 team mixed league, seems like the right move, even though I generally avoid trading bats for arms.

I gave Nolan Jones, Jeter Downs, and Luis Campusano
    I got Forrest Whitley, Brailyn Marquez, and Sherten Apostel

I like the bats I gave a lot, but my minors were mostly bats, and I sold high on Forrest last year and got him back cheaper this time. He was truly putrid last year, but reports are he looks less broken now. The upside is there. Marquez has a cannon too, though he seems like a future closer, not a starter. Apostel is a fringe guy, but we go 20 deep in our minors, so rosterable.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Decided to trade some lower risk, higher floor guys for some higher ceiling, higher risk guys. Since this is a 14 team mixed league, seems like the right move, even though I generally avoid trading bats for arms.

I gave Nolan Jones, Jeter Downs, and Luis Campusano
    I got Forrest Whitley, Brailyn Marquez, and Sherten Apostel

I like the bats I gave a lot, but my minors were mostly bats, and I sold high on Forrest last year and got him back cheaper this time. He was truly putrid last year, but reports are he looks less broken now. The upside is there. Marquez has a cannon too, though he seems like a future closer, not a starter. Apostel is a fringe guy, but we go 20 deep in our minors, so rosterable.
    I like it more than the previous offers you had.

Nolan Jones and Jeter Downs are okay, but as you say, unlikely to become stars. Downs seems like his SB might disappear, as he's not graded highly for his speed by all sources. Some use his SB totals to grade him a 60 speed guy, but others have pegged it at 40. I would expect a 5-10 SB ceiling.

The other element I really like is Sherton Apostel. Seems like he has the highest ceiling of the 4 bats. His inclusion makes it less worrisome dealing away the hitting prospects you gave up.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Interesting. I could have had Leody Taveras or Apostel. Taveras is the better real player, but Apostel has that offensive upside, so I chose him. He seems really risky, but he does have upside. I'm surprised you think he has the highest upside of the 4 though. I ain't mad at that assessment .

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Interesting. I could have had Leody Taveras or Apostel. Taveras is the better real player, but Apostel has that offensive upside, so I chose him. He seems really risky, but he does have upside. I'm surprised you think he has the highest upside of the 4 though. I ain't mad at that assessment .
        I drafted Apostel last year in AL only, so I've been following. I read a lot of "70 raw" and exceptional plate discipline. Seems like guys with 70 raw are rare enough as is, let alone having a 2nd plate skill that could carry him to relevance. But my crush is likely derived from my year I've owned and invested in him, so take it with a grain of salt.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I like the deal for you as well, but for Whitley in particular. Good buy low on a guy who had an off year, but his upside is very high. Also agree on the high upside of Apostel, but everything I've read is he's very raw.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I like the deal for you as well, but for Whitley in particular. Good buy low on a guy who had an off year, but his upside is very high. Also agree on the high upside of Apostel, but everything I've read is he's very raw.
            Yeah, if I had to put money on it, I'd say the odds are better that Apostel never makes the majors than becomes a valuable fantasy player.

After the trade, the Whitley owner, who obsessively listens to Effectively Wild and other baseball podcasts, and consumes as much roto stuff as possible, revealed he soured on Whitley after he got the stat from one of his sources that there has NEVER been a pitcher in baseball history who had a full season era of 8 or more in the minors, like Whitley did, that ever made it as an effective pro, let alone a front line starter.

That may very well be, but that also seems like one of those stats that guys that obsessively look for new stats get in trouble with. Last year was certainly concerning for Whitley, and his stock rightly fell because of the severe command issues he showed. But giving up on him, because of that odd stat when Whitley pitched only 60 innings last year seems kinda silly to me.

Comment

Working...
            X