Let's Play Two - The Tommy John Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Play Two - The Tommy John Experience

Same concept at the Lockdown Draft, but using 2 Catchers and Avg instead of OBP. 18 teams instead of 20. 10 man reserve rosters and only 20 man minor league squads. Unlike the first time, we drafted MLB players first and then held a second draft for minor leagues. KDS drafts were used for both, I had the 14th pick in the MLB draft and the 2nd in the MiL draft.

Majors: It seems like I always chase pitching because I discount it so heavily due to the volatility. Using the Lockdown league as a reference I noticed that a few of the pitchers that recently underwent TJ surgery were discounted. Decided to pivot and stock up on young pitching or pitching undergoing TJ. I feel confident in my ability to accumulate minor league hitters to address any deficiencies. My target to compete is 2022.

MLB first 10 rounds:

1.14: W. Buehler: Vlad went a couple picks before me and that solidified going with the best young pitcher
    2.05: B. Bichette: Happy to grab him and should anchor my MI for years
    3.14: M. Chapman: Mondesi & Olson went a few before me and really wanted one of them. Not sure this was the best pick here but will be a good offensive anchor.
    4.05: A. Nola: 2019 wasn't his best but still young and will be a solid arm for a few years
    5.14: J. McNeil: One of my older players at 28, but wanted a solid player for 2b
    6.05: O. Mercado: Solid young player that helps everywhere
    7.14: N. Syndergaard: First TJ player, part of the dominate staff I hope to have for 2022
    8.05: L. Severnio: Second TJ player
    9.14: N. Mazara: Can't believe he is only 25, even if he is what he is, he will help for a few years
    10.05: A. Riley: Please learn how to make contact!

Full MLB team (& round taken):

C: C. Vasquez (15) & A. Allen (26)
    1b: J. Pederson (12)
    2b: J. McNeil (5)
    3b: Chapman (3)
    SS: Bichette (2)
    MI: W. Adames (11)
    CI: G. Urshela (13)
    OF: Mercado (6), Mazara (9), Riley (10), J. Fraley (16), V. Reyes (21)
    UT: J. Choi (20)
    Hitting Reserves: C. Pinder (24), Y. Chang (33), Willi Castro (27), Seth Brown (29), C. Stewart (30), Justin Williams (31)

Pitching: Buehler (1), Nola (4), Syndergaard (7), Severino (8), A. Heaney (14), P. Lopez (17), A. Bradley (18), M. Fulmer (19), T. Buttery (22), C. Poche (23), Bryse Wilson (25), P. Fairbanks (28), Trevor Richards (32),

Minors: I had the #2 pick and was torn between Adell & Robert. Thanks to some help on here and a couple bourbons I went with Adell. I focused on hitting and really like the guys I accumulated:

Hitters & Round Taken:
    Adell, LAA (1), J. Groshans, Tor (2), C. Carroll, Ari (3), G. Perdomo, Ari (4), J. Jung, Tex (5), J. Adams, LAA (6), G. Jimenez, Bos (7), I. Paredes, Det (8), B. Turang, Mil (9), J. Diaz, TB (10), G. Henderson, Bal (11), G. Rodriguez, Cle (12), I. Mena, SD (13), J. Pomares (14)T. Callihan, Cin (15), J. Rosario, SD (16), A. Cabello, NYY (17), E. Pereira, NYY (18), E. Garcia, Mil (20)

Pitcher & Round Taken:
    A. Faedo, Det (19)

I feel that I executed my plan well and pitching will be a strength for a few years and will allow my hitters time to develop.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Before you went the TJ route, this was starting out looking like my team from the lockdown league - with Buehler, Bichette, Nola. So obviously I'm a fan of that talent at the start.

I'd be careful saying that pitching will be a strength, in this league with 2x a week changes you need a lot of pitching depth and I just don't see it here once you consider the injury prone pitchers. You have two solid pieces of your rotation in Buehler and Nola, and then you have the TJ boys and Heaney who has only pitched 1 full season in 6 years. After that lots more question marks. I think you need Thor/Severino to come back 100% to give you the base you'll need to hold up the rest of the staff, and that is not a guarantee. I would expect to see you making lots of moves on the pitching side.

I think Adell was the right choice for your minors pick, and you grabbed several good ones afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Before you went the TJ route, this was starting out looking like my team from the lockdown league - with Buehler, Bichette, Nola. So obviously I'm a fan of that talent at the start.

I'd be careful saying that pitching will be a strength, in this league with 2x a week changes you need a lot of pitching depth and I just don't see it here once you consider the injury prone pitchers. You have two solid pieces of your rotation in Buehler and Nola, and then you have the TJ boys and Heaney who has only pitched 1 full season in 6 years. After that lots more question marks. I think you need Thor/Severino to come back 100% to give you the base you'll need to hold up the rest of the staff, and that is not a guarantee. I would expect to see you making lots of moves on the pitching side.

I think Adell was the right choice for your minors pick, and you grabbed several good ones afterwards.
      Thanks for the different point of view on my pitching, that is the type of feedback that helps. I'll have to make sure I'm not overconfident with pitching and have sufficient depth come 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by wombat104 View Post
        Thanks for the different point of view on my pitching, that is the type of feedback that helps. I'll have to make sure I'm not overconfident with pitching and have sufficient depth come 2022.
        I found it interesting that you completely avoided pitching more or less in the minor league portion. I figured you might take some 4th-5th starter types who are almost/already ready like Anthony Kay late (I think I got him in the last couple of rounds) just to have some guys who can help this year and maybe for a few years---especially since the last four or five picks in the minor league portion are going to be dropped for new guys next year. You have an impressive amount of young hitting.

Comment

I went back and forth between Mondesi and Chapman. The potential of all those SBs was too enticing. Both are young, both have upside, Chapman I believe is the safer bet, but again, those SBs..... I also though about taking Noah, I was looking at him i9n the same round you selected him. I have 2 TJ arms on my ML roster and 2 on my minor league roster High upside guys who if they return to previos form, should be cheap aces. So I like what you did. You should reach your goal in 2022 if all goes according to plan, your upper minor guys are great! Good Luck!
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I love Corbin Carroll so was really bummed when you took him as I texted a big "NOOOOOO" to Andy as soon as you did. Smaller side but he's a baby as he's just out of HS and the kid can play (there is a lot of good video content out there on him). TJ pitchers are indeed a good place to fish and you popped Thor & Sevy triggering my Sale pick. Thor to is probably the best of the TJ pitchers given age but probably lowest floor of the 3 too (pretty safe #3 fantasy SP imo as he doesn't get the K's for a true ace). Love Sevy and have him in Lockdown. But its 2 years without pitching so of the 3 he has the highest risk but probably highest upside given age gap to Sale.

I get where Ken is coming from as depth may be an issue. I think in this kind of league you'd want 9-10 SPs in any given year as you'll probably feel good about 4, stream another 4 based on matchups and toggle thru the remaining 2 based on FAAB and callups. But you need to make choices in the minor league draft and investing in hitting is a better success rate imo and you can always trade for more pitching I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              I found it interesting that you completely avoided pitching more or less in the minor league portion. I figured you might take some 4th-5th starter types who are almost/already ready like Anthony Kay late (I think I got him in the last couple of rounds) just to have some guys who can help this year and maybe for a few years---especially since the last four or five picks in the minor league portion are going to be dropped for new guys next year. You have an impressive amount of young hitting.
              I much more adept at identifying hitters so I went with my strength in the minor league draft. I can replace 3 pitchers our first FAAB run since they will be on IR and there are a few 4th/5th starter types available on waivers so I had that in the back of my mind as well.

Comment

Working...
              X