Let's Play Two - HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Play Two - HDID

Gwyn already gave the differences in his thread but in case I'll keep it brief...

18 teams, keep forever, 5x5 BA and H+SV, 23 man starting rosters, 10 man rsv, 20 man farm system. You can change your lineups on Monday and Friday, Faab only runs once a week.

We did the KDS style to chose draft slots in both the major league and minor league draft. I drafted 12th in the major league and 5th in the minor league. I emphasized getting a top 5 slot in the farm draft as I really liked those first 5.

I definitely played a bit more for the now with some picks while trying to create a nice base of young anchors. As the draft fell to me most of my OF'ers are older so you will see I used my first 3 farm picks to get 3 OF'ers who I see as close to the big leagues.

Anyway I'll give you the first 10 rounds and then how the roster looks...

1.12 Trea Turner SS- Vlad went one pick in front of me so this was the pivot. He won't be fast forever, but hopefully for a good 7 years.

2.7 Gleyber Torres SS/2B- Really young and the power will play for a long time. 2 MI slots set for the long term.

3.12 Luis Castillo P- I wanted a pitcher here and Clevinger went right before me which made the options Castillo or Stras, I went for the younger guy though it was hard to pass Kris Bryan and Matt Chapman.

4.7 Stephen Strasburg P- Chapman and Bryant went, but the turn chose to go for Scherzer, Snell, and Nola so I was surprised that Stras came back. Marte tempted me but in the end I wanted two SP's that could be my anchors if healthy.

5.12 Max Muncy 1B/2B/3B- I thought about going Beni here, but I already own him in Lockdown so I wanted to diversify and Max could still be a multi-position guy in this league since it only takes 15 games. Either way reliable bat under 30.

6.7 Josh Hader RP- Heading to the turn I had Kershaw and Gallen as guys I was hoping would get back, but they both went including Gallen right in front of me.
    I really do like Hader in this format as he will always gets Holds even if they move him out of the closer role and those K's, WHIP, and ERA are elite.

7.12 Tommy Pham OF - Needed an OF and even over 30 Pham was the top rated guy left when this pick came up. This is the portion of the draft where I started taking guys who could help me now.

8.7 Josh Donaldson 3B- 3B gets ugly pretty fast and while Donaldson is older he got a 4 year contract I think and he should continue to be productive for most of that.

9.12 Brandon Lowe 2B - Torres may not have that 2B elig. for long so I wanted to stay young in the MI so I could focus elsewhere in the farm draft. Yes the Rays are annoying and he might platoon but he is 25 and has been productive already.

10.7 Mitch Garver - 2 C league really changes the value of these guys and Garver is 29. I was looking at Grandal here but he went on the turn and Garver was the last catcher I had in a tier to take here so I jumped on it.

11.12 Luke Voit 1B
    12.7 Lorenzo Cain OF
    13. 12 Kenta Maeda P
    14.7 Andrew McCutchen OF
    15.12 Masahiro Tanaka P
    16.7 Khris Davis UT
    17.12 Will Smith RP
    18.7 Steven Matz
    19.12 Giovanny Gallegos RP
    20.07 Ender Inciarte OF
    21.12 Brett Gardner OF
    22.7 Kurt Suzuki C
    23.12 Cole Hamels P
    24.7 Nathan Eovaldi P
    25.12 Kyle Gibson P
    26.7 Andres Munoz RP
    27.12 JA Happ P
    28.7 Marwin Gonzalez OF/CI
    29.12 Josh Reddick OF
    30.7 Amir Garrett RP
    31.12 Nicky Lopez 2b/SS
    32.7 Joey Wendle 2B/3B
    33.12 Alex Gordon OF

C Garver
    C Suzuki
    1B Muncy
    2B G Torres
    SS T Turner
    3B J Donaldson
    MI B Lowe
    CI L Voit
    OF Pham
    OF L Cain
    OF A McCutchen
    OF B Gardner
    OF E Inciarte
    UT K Davis

P S Strasburg
    P L Castillo
    P K Maeda
    P M Tanaka
    P C Hamels
    P S Matz
    P J Hader
    P G Gallegos
    P W Smith

RSV
    M Gonzalez
    N Lopez
    A Gordon
    J Wendle
    J Reddick

K Gibson
    A Garrett
    N Eovaldi
    JA Happ
    A Munoz (DL and will get replaced)

MINORS I'll write about the first 5 and list the rest...

1.5 Jared Kellenic OF- I was hoping someone would push Jason Dominguez into the top 4 and I'd have someone fall to me, but I love Kellenic and his power speed combo. He isn't far from the bigs and will replace one of my aging OF'ers soon.

2.14 Drew Waters OF - I wanted to diversify but with Bohm and Brujan gone I didn't see an option that helped me soon and I do believe in Waters. Maybe not a superstar ceiling but a regular who again has speed and power.

3.5 Trevor Larnach OF - I don't see a superstar here but I see a very solid major league bat who isn't far from helping. Take my very old OF and add these 3 in 2 years and I have fixed that issue a lot for the long term.

4.14 Shane Baz P - I really like the upside and sometimes you just want to own a guy and I didn't want to just wind up with all #3/4 upside SP's so this was a shoot for the moon pick.

5.5 Logan Gilbert P - A college arm who has had nothing but success so far. He should be able to help soon.

6.14 Kody Hoese 3B
    7.5 Luis Garcia SS WASH
    8.14 Bobby Dalbec 1B
    9.5 Luis Medina P
    10.14 Keoni Cavaco SS
    11.5 Estevan Florial OF
    12.14 Ivan Herrea C
    13.5 Luis Frias P
    14.14 Alex De Jesus SS LAD
    15.5 Edward Olivares OF
    16.14 Canaan Smith OF
    17.5 Osleivis Basabe SS TX
    18.14 Brayan Buelvas OF OAK
    19.5 Joshua Mears OF
    20.14 Josh Wolf P

There you go a second dynasty team for your entertainment to comment on. Thanks!
    Last edited by frae; 05-25-2020, 05:48 PM.

A rare thing Keith, a team in an 18 teamer without a dead spot. You've got some age, as you well know, but you've backed it up in your minors, so it shouldn't be an issue. Your bats are a little older than I like, and I think that your optimistic if you think that Turners speed is going to play for another 7 years. I'd say another 3-4...but some speedsters age better than others, so you may be right. I do think that you're going to have to find more speed, but I think that you have some assets to work with if you need to get more. Power looks good, Average looks good too. I think that Voit is going to be a sneaky play this year.

Your pitching...well, it's old. You better hope that those guys like the short season, and that they have one more left next year so you can re-tool. Looks to me like you focused too much on the bats, and not enough on the arms...but it's a correctable problem. Good RP's, but you'll likely need to troll the WW to add the flavor of the week.

Minor leagues are very good, IMO...you've already alluded to the OFers you have lined up as replacements, and you've got some quality arms as well. Several high end kids that might be 5 years away, but that's what dynasty's are all about, IMO. Build for years to come.

Hell of a team IMO...but pretty short term. You've already started to address your issues, and will undoubtedly continue to do so.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      A rare thing Keith, a team in an 18 teamer without a dead spot. You've got some age, as you well know, but you've backed it up in your minors, so it shouldn't be an issue. Your bats are a little older than I like, and I think that your optimistic if you think that Turners speed is going to play for another 7 years. I'd say another 3-4...but some speedsters age better than others, so you may be right. I do think that you're going to have to find more speed, but I think that you have some assets to work with if you need to get more. Power looks good, Average looks good too. I think that Voit is going to be a sneaky play this year.

Your pitching...well, it's old. You better hope that those guys like the short season, and that they have one more left next year so you can re-tool. Looks to me like you focused too much on the bats, and not enough on the arms...but it's a correctable problem. Good RP's, but you'll likely need to troll the WW to add the flavor of the week.

Minor leagues are very good, IMO...you've already alluded to the OFers you have lined up as replacements, and you've got some quality arms as well. Several high end kids that might be 5 years away, but that's what dynasty's are all about, IMO. Build for years to come.

Hell of a team IMO...but pretty short term. You've already started to address your issues, and will undoubtedly continue to do so.
      I already sent steve a message and always appreciate him giving feedback and I do mostly agree. I personally think I will get at least 2 more years after this year from Castillo, Stras, Maeda, and Tanaka at the front, and Matz finally had a healthy year at 28 so they could hold it together with what I think is a nice RP group. That said After Stras and Castillo it is by no means a lock.

The offense is built short term and for speed I am probably hoping I get some help from Kellenic and Waters long term, but it could be an issue especially since my MI after Turner is not full of speed.

I like Gwynn countered my other team with a build here to win now more, hopefully it works out. It was a blast to do and I look forward to seeing it play out.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
        I already sent steve a message and always appreciate him giving feedback and I do mostly agree. I personally think I will get at least 2 more years after this year from Castillo, Stras, Maeda, and Tanaka at the front, and Matz finally had a healthy year at 28 so they could hold it together with what I think is a nice RP group. That said After Stras and Castillo it is by no means a lock.

The offense is built short term and for speed I am probably hoping I get some help from Kellenic and Waters long term, but it could be an issue especially since my MI after Turner is not full of speed.

I like Gwynn countered my other team with a build here to win now more, hopefully it works out. It was a blast to do and I look forwad
        And you sniped my picks seemingly every time through....
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Not much to add, like Gwynn you are built for the here and now. Yes your pitching is old, but I thought you got good value with each of your picks and have no immediate needs to address.

Some picks I liked:
          Just about every discounted veteran pick, others were going after younger guys and you were able to capitalize on the market and scoop up older players that are still productive
          Lowe: Think he was good value in the 9th
          Munoz: Was hoping he would slide a couple more rounds so I could snag him
          Lopez: If he could just tap into a little power with that hit tool....
          Larnach: I think he gets overshadowed by Kirilloff, but has just as much potential with a higher floor
          Hoese: Emerging power with a solid hit tool
          Garcia: Nice upside pick, need to see the power start to come out
          Cavaco: Another great upside pick, was going to take him in a couple picks when I was up
          DeJesus: Same as Cavaco

Comment

So this team didn’t workout so I started to make some moves to reshape it for the future.

1st deal

Gave Muncy Maeda and Pham

Got Julio Rodriguez Oneil Cruz and Brendan Rodgers

Deal 2

Gave Rosenrhal (faab pickup and it is saves plus holds) and Tanaka

Got Daniel Lynch

Still working on a few other moves. Anyone have any thoughts on these? These are my first for the future dynasty trades ever.

Comment

Working...
            X