Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Gwynnsainty--Let's Play 2--HDID.....Again

  1. #1
    All Star GwynnInTheHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego--Home Again.
    Posts
    6,038

    Gwynnsainty--Let's Play 2--HDID.....Again

    Boredom creeps in and the insanity of drafting a SECOND Dynasty team doesn't actually seem so crazy...

    Same concept at the Lockdown Draft, but using 2 Catchers and Avg instead of OBP. 18 teams instead of 20. 10 man reserve rosters and only 20 man minor league squads. Unlike the first time, we drafted MLB players first and then held a second draft for minor leagues. KDS drafts were used for both. I had the 8th pick in the MLB draft and the 13th in the MiL draft.

    I went a different direction with this team, try to stay young, but be competitive this and next year so that affected my choices in the ML portion and somewhat in the Mil portion as I went with as many close to the cusp guys as I could find (though I did take some deep dives as value was too hard to pass up. Here are the first 10 rounds and then my entire team:

    M Betts
    A Rendon
    A Mondesi
    JD Martinez
    J Soler
    R Hoskins
    Y Darvish
    D Lamet
    K Yates
    Y Puig.

    I went heavy hitting first 10 rds, but also grabbed 3 arms whom I believe are solid enough to anchor my staff

    My idea was to build an excellent hitting squad and then an outstanding Pen (Saves+Holds) try to nut the rations and saves/holds while finishing mid pack in wins/Ks. I'm a firm believer that starting arms will come out of no where and in this shortened season we'll see a few of the top prospect arms along the way. here's what I ended up with:

    Ca. F Mejia
    Ca. W Ramos
    1b R Hoskins
    3b A Rendon
    CI R Tellez
    2b T LaStella
    SS A Mondesi
    MI J Peraza
    OF M Betts
    OF JD Martinez
    OF J Soler
    OF Y Puig
    OF R Braun
    Ut I Desmond

    Bench: F Galvis, J McCann, J Bauers, R Healy, E Rios
    Relevant Minor Leaguers: J Cronenworth

    Pitching:

    Darvish
    Lamet
    J James
    C Carrasco
    K Yates
    H Robles
    D Bettances
    Z Britton
    J Castillo

    Bench: J Tallion, C Rondon, M Baez, F Valdez, S Yamaguchi

    RML-- Casey Mize, Shan McClanahan, Sterling Sharpe

    Minor Leaguers: I grabbed Luciano at #13 and Mize on the way back--everyone else is as follows:

    in no particular order:

    Bats:
    M Luciano
    A Thomas
    G Valera
    A Bracho
    Tuca Marcano
    J Cronenworth
    R Quinteros
    S Maguire
    B Altuve
    Y Sanchez
    T Ornelas

    Arms:
    C Mize
    S McClanahan
    R Weather
    J Cantillo
    D Espino
    D Lynch
    A Espinosa
    R Lawson
    S Sharpe

    All in all I'm pretty happy with my crew--any thoughts would be appreciated.

    TIA.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  2. #2
    All Star Hornsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    Posts
    9,898
    Ba is interesting...you've got a few solid average anchors in Betts, Rendon, and Martinez...A few above average in Ramos, LaStella, and Braun, and some sinks in Tellez and Mondesi. Desmond is a likely dead spot that'll need to be replaced, unless he decides that playing for another contract is worth while...maybe his skills are just gone. But overall, I think that you'll be good on the average side. Got some solid speed in Mondesi, maybe Peraza helps a bit. Will Mookie chip in 25? If hr does, you'll be OK, if he doesn't, lower half of the league. Solid power all around, certainly upper division, maybe top 3 in the league if Hoskins can get straightened out.

    Pitching, well that's interesting, now isn't it? I see why you did what you did with the RP's, got a good bunch for a solds league, and high K arms especially if Betances rebounds. You're not going to get a lot of wins, but enough to not be on the bottom...and maybe that's good enough. Good K's if Carrasco can come back, well worth the gamble. Solid bench with upside there as well.

    I like your minor league arms more than the bats, but who can tell with these guys so far away?

    Overall, I think you did a really good job of balancing everything, it probably helped sort things out with the drafts being separated as they were in this dynasty. Good team with a pretty high potential upside...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

    "Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

  3. #3
    All Star GwynnInTheHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego--Home Again.
    Posts
    6,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornsby View Post
    Ba is interesting...you've got a few solid average anchors in Betts, Rendon, and Martinez...A few above average in Ramos, LaStella, and Braun, and some sinks in Tellez and Mondesi. Desmond is a likely dead spot that'll need to be replaced, unless he decides that playing for another contract is worth while...maybe his skills are just gone. But overall, I think that you'll be good on the average side. Got some solid speed in Mondesi, maybe Peraza helps a bit. Will Mookie chip in 25? If hr does, you'll be OK, if he doesn't, lower half of the league. Solid power all around, certainly upper division, maybe top 3 in the league if Hoskins can get straightened out.

    Pitching, well that's interesting, now isn't it? I see why you did what you did with the RP's, got a good bunch for a solds league, and high K arms especially if Betances rebounds. You're not going to get a lot of wins, but enough to not be on the bottom...and maybe that's good enough. Good K's if Carrasco can come back, well worth the gamble. Solid bench with upside there as well.

    I like your minor league arms more than the bats, but who can tell with these guys so far away?

    Overall, I think you did a really good job of balancing everything, it probably helped sort things out with the drafts being separated as they were in this dynasty. Good team with a pretty high potential upside...
    Thank you sir, yeah the Desmond pick was made with the universal DH in mind and that I'd only probably use him for this season. There are moves to be made, but you know how I like to trade.. I drafted this team to balance the other one, so I can hopefully always have one in the mix for a competitive spot. My management style isn't conducive for the slow build so the Lockdown team is going to be a challenge, this one is kind of a win now or at least next season team and the RJEL is definitely--Going for it this year and if I faceplant, sell off and build for 2 years down the road. I think it's important to build teams that fit your personal style even if that style is, put yourself in a position to HAVE to make moves and then spend most of the time trying to fix those problems you created during the draft. You know I love that shit.

    Thanks again for taking the time to look over things, I really appreciate it.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  4. #4
    Class A wombat104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    56
    Your team is definitely built for the here and now, the offense is good to great but it will hinge on the health of Mondesi as SB's beyond him are scarce. Very interested to see how your pitching strategy goes, you will obvsouly be fine in saves+holds and the ratios should be good too. Not sure how the counting stats will play out, I think you have enough to not be near the bottom which is all you need for this to work. Really like your top 4 minor league bats. I would think you are in the thick of the race for the foreseeable future.

    Some picks I liked:
    Carrasco: Nice pick in the 13th, I think he will be fine and should return nice value
    James: Crazy K upside for the 14th round
    Taillon: Not sure he fit with your plan especially going in the 16th, but will help in 2022 and beyond
    Peraza: If he can secure a super utility type role will provide a good return
    Healy: I think he can rebound a for a 25th round pick it is a good lotto ticket
    Rios: Really like his exit velocity, just needs to get the k rate down and find a path to playing time in a crowded Dodgers team
    Rodon: Like the upside for a 32nd round pick
    Thomas: Snagging him in the middle of the 3rd round is a great pick, couldn't believe he lasted that long, I was deciding between him and Carroll for my 3rd round pick and only went with Carroll since I have Thomas in the Lockdown league

  5. #5
    All Star GwynnInTheHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego--Home Again.
    Posts
    6,038
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat104 View Post
    Your team is definitely built for the here and now, the offense is good to great but it will hinge on the health of Mondesi as SB's beyond him are scarce. Very interested to see how your pitching strategy goes, you will obvsouly be fine in saves+holds and the ratios should be good too. Not sure how the counting stats will play out, I think you have enough to not be near the bottom which is all you need for this to work. Really like your top 4 minor league bats. I would think you are in the thick of the race for the foreseeable future.

    Some picks I liked:
    Carrasco: Nice pick in the 13th, I think he will be fine and should return nice value
    James: Crazy K upside for the 14th round
    Taillon: Not sure he fit with your plan especially going in the 16th, but will help in 2022 and beyond
    Peraza: If he can secure a super utility type role will provide a good return
    Healy: I think he can rebound a for a 25th round pick it is a good lotto ticket
    Rios: Really like his exit velocity, just needs to get the k rate down and find a path to playing time in a crowded Dodgers team
    Rodon: Like the upside for a 32nd round pick
    Thomas: Snagging him in the middle of the 3rd round is a great pick, couldn't believe he lasted that long, I was deciding between him and Carroll for my 3rd round pick and only went with Carroll since I have Thomas in the Lockdown league
    Thanks! I was happy to get the guys I got in the minor league draft--selecting at #13 is weird, but I made out OK. Taillon I see helping end of 21 fingers crossed, but by then Mize should be up as well. Rios should be a good get if he can find his was to playing time and since h's a Dodger, I hope he gets traded .

    This should be fun!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  6. #6
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    6,318
    Regarding Taillon, I was big on him prior to 2019, but with two TJs, the odds are really stacked against him and I'm out. We basically think of TJ these days as a 12-18 months out and then back to "normal" but that 2nd one seems to be more of a problem than the first. Here's an article that I came across on the topic:

    https://www.henryford.com/news/2015/...ortened-career

    My guess would be that when he comes back it would be in a bullpen role.

  7. #7
    All Star GwynnInTheHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego--Home Again.
    Posts
    6,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Regarding Taillon, I was big on him prior to 2019, but with two TJs, the odds are really stacked against him and I'm out. We basically think of TJ these days as a 12-18 months out and then back to "normal" but that 2nd one seems to be more of a problem than the first. Here's an article that I came across on the topic:

    https://www.henryford.com/news/2015/...ortened-career

    My guess would be that when he comes back it would be in a bullpen role.
    That's my hope, High leverage BP arm as the fallback, slim hopes of returning to his starter form, but I can hope.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •