Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most important video games to you as a teen?

Dig dug
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    Pong
    Space Invaders
    Frogger
    Avalanche
    Galaxian (the artist later known as Galaga)
    Galaga was my first arcade love. I used to go to a laundry mat nearby to play it any time I had a spare quarter. The joy of getting two ships could not be surpassed.

Quote Originally Posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Dig dug
    Dig dug was the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Galaga was my first arcade love. I used to go to a laundry mat nearby to play it any time I had a spare quarter. The joy of getting two ships could not be surpassed.
    it's weird - I never learned - nor had any interest in learning - how to completely dominate that game. I was more of a whirling dervish who was maybe a "fast twitch" guy or something. but I made it work, constantly killing a target at the last split-second.

I ran across one about 15 years ago, and spent 15 minutes playing on one quarter. funny, because I was all over the place physically because I wasn't doing the 'science' so much as the passion. worked up plenty of perspiration.

was in Nashville in February, and downtown there is sort of a retro/ironic old video game bar that is popular with a young crowd.

took one more spin on Galaga. wasn't quite as successful - but definitely still some 'twitch' left in this old dog.

Avalanche is long forgotten, but there are some similarities. game keeps getting more and more difficult, and you have to intensify your scrambling. but if you're 'one with the machine' you can keep nailing last-second salvages.
    entering 37th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    horrendous final week dropped me from a shot at 3rd to 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 AUCTION candidates (keep up to 11)
    SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Cueto 1, Marquez 10
    RP Stanek 8
    C Realmuto 13, 1O Belt 10, SS BCrawford 9
    OF CDickerson 17, O1 Cooper 10, JDyson 8

Anyone else memorize the pac man pattern? Keys baby, it's all about the keys.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Bards Tale 2 & 3
    Street Fighter 2
    The Lords of Midnight
    Gauntlet
    Civ 1&2
    Colonisation
    Populous
    Gunship / Gunship 2000
    Dune 2
    Auf Wiedersehen Monty

ms pac-man (I got to a point where I would search out machines just so I could register the high score)
    space invaders probably second
    After those I spread my quarters around pretty evenly.

Wolfenstein 3D was also a huge time grabber for me but I was in my 20's by then.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.
    Some people think he's playing chess when actually his aides are trying to stop him from eating the pieces.

I feel like I grew up in the golden age of video games. (I was born in 1970.) I remember my parents going to the local bar -- something they NEVER did before or after -- just to play Pac-Man when it first came out. Soon after it seemed there were coin-op games everywhere. Every quick stop, every fast food restaurant. At the movie theater. Even the grocery stores had a couple.

I played a lot of Atari 2600 then graduated to the Commodore 64. Dr. J vs Larry Bird, Karateka, Archon, Zork, and I recall this cool baseball game with a perspective from behind the pitcher when you batted. At a science fair someone gave me a floppy disk with an X-rated game on it. My mind was blown.

Coin-ops:
    Ms Pac-Man
    Dig Dug
    Robotron 2000
    Defender
    Galaga

I'm the same age as Jefe, and the arcade was the most important place to go from age 9-15. Of course I had home arcade games, but they weren't as addicting or fun as the arcade, since you kind of played them on your own.

So:
    Spy Hunter
    Elevator Action
    Track & Field
    Burgertime
    Defender
    Gauntlet
    Smash TV later on, because this was a partner game and was in the basement arcade of my college's Student Union, and my editor colleagues and I spent hours upon hours playing this when we should have been working on our Student Newspaper!

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    I'm the same age as Jefe, and the arcade was the most important place to go from age 9-15. Of course I had home arcade games, but they weren't as addicting or fun as the arcade, since you kind of played them on your own.

So:
    Spy Hunter
    Elevator Action
    Track & Field
    Burgertime
    Defender
    Gauntlet
    Smash TV later on, because this was a partner game and was in the basement arcade of my college's Student Union, and my editor colleagues and I spent hours upon hours playing this when we should have been working on our Student Newspaper!
    Ah man, Elevator Action was awesome. Spy Hunter too.

My first semester of college (1988) we had a Track & Field in the fraternity house and I played that things for hours. Always had broken pencils around for the lever action.