Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most important video games to you as a teen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important video games to you as a teen?

I'm stealing a question from Twitter, because I didn't want to answer it there, and I'm curious to hear others' answers, too.

What were the five most important video games to you throughout your youth/teen years?

For me, I think it would be, roughly in the order I played them:
    1. Fort Apocalypse (Commodore 64)

2. Star League Baseball (Commodore 64)

3. Tetris

4. Scorch

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

5. Railroad Tycoon - this is one of my favorite games of all time

Just missing the cut time-wise since I probably played them more in my early 20s:
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Sim City
    Civilization (the original)
    Star Wars X-Wing

I also spent way more time than I might want to admit trying to set time records on Minesweeper. I also played Donkey Kong a fair amount, but I wasn't really all that good at it.

Doom/Quake/Duke Nukem might collectively make the cut, but individually none of them would.

Zork was a formative game for me when I played it on my cousin's Apple computer, but since I didn't have it at home, I didn't spend that much time with it.
    Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 05-21-2020, 07:20 PM.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Teen was dominated by NBA Live and Madden. My younger years the most prominent were Super Mario, Dr. Mario and RBI Baseball/Baseball Stars/Baseball Simulator 1000 on Nintendo.

Comment

This is the Twitter thread, in case anyone wants to see it:

Someone on there mentioned Seven Cities of Gold, which I had forgotten, and I definitely spent too much time with, as well. It would probably displace...hmmm...Tetris, I guess.

Comment

screw that - we played bumper pool all day and all night

and then our lives were changed - we were rich enough to get an Atari

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
            screw that - we played bumper pool all day and all night

and then our lives were changed - we were rich enough to get an Atari
            As a teen?

We were mostly out trying to avoid getting busted by the cops.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

It wasn't my first game, but my favorite was my first RPG--Dragon Warrior for the NES. Loved that game and its sequels (now called Dragon Quest).

Comment

Baseball Stars
                Civ (1)

Comment

I played a good bit of railroad tycoon 2. I really liked it. RR tycoon 3 got really fancy with the tracks and it interested me much less. I enjoyed the logistics strategy much more than building the perfect switchback and what not.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Pong
                    Space Invaders
                    Frogger
                    Avalanche
                    Galaxian (the artist later known as Galaga)
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Dig dug
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        Pong
                        Space Invaders
                        Frogger
                        Avalanche
                        Galaxian (the artist later known as Galaga)
                        Galaga was my first arcade love. I used to go to a laundry mat nearby to play it any time I had a spare quarter. The joy of getting two ships could not be surpassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          Dig dug
                          Dig dug was the bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Galaga was my first arcade love. I used to go to a laundry mat nearby to play it any time I had a spare quarter. The joy of getting two ships could not be surpassed.
                            it's weird - I never learned - nor had any interest in learning - how to completely dominate that game. I was more of a whirling dervish who was maybe a "fast twitch" guy or something. but I made it work, constantly killing a target at the last split-second.

I ran across one about 15 years ago, and spent 15 minutes playing on one quarter. funny, because I was all over the place physically because I wasn't doing the 'science' so much as the passion. worked up plenty of perspiration.

was in Nashville in February, and downtown there is sort of a retro/ironic old video game bar that is popular with a young crowd.

took one more spin on Galaga. wasn't quite as successful - but definitely still some 'twitch' left in this old dog.

Avalanche is long forgotten, but there are some similarities. game keeps getting more and more difficult, and you have to intensify your scrambling. but if you're 'one with the machine' you can keep nailing last-second salvages.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Anyone else memorize the pac man pattern? Keys baby, it's all about the keys.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X