Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most important video games to you as a teen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bards Tale 2 & 3
    Street Fighter 2
    The Lords of Midnight
    Gauntlet
    Civ 1&2
    Colonisation
    Populous
    Gunship / Gunship 2000
    Dune 2
    Auf Wiedersehen Monty

Comment

ms pac-man (I got to a point where I would search out machines just so I could register the high score)
      space invaders probably second
      After those I spread my quarters around pretty evenly.

Wolfenstein 3D was also a huge time grabber for me but I was in my 20's by then.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I feel like I grew up in the golden age of video games. (I was born in 1970.) I remember my parents going to the local bar -- something they NEVER did before or after -- just to play Pac-Man when it first came out. Soon after it seemed there were coin-op games everywhere. Every quick stop, every fast food restaurant. At the movie theater. Even the grocery stores had a couple.

I played a lot of Atari 2600 then graduated to the Commodore 64. Dr. J vs Larry Bird, Karateka, Archon, Zork, and I recall this cool baseball game with a perspective from behind the pitcher when you batted. At a science fair someone gave me a floppy disk with an X-rated game on it. My mind was blown.

Coin-ops:
        Ms Pac-Man
        Dig Dug
        Robotron 2000
        Defender
        Galaga

Comment

I'm the same age as Jefe, and the arcade was the most important place to go from age 9-15. Of course I had home arcade games, but they weren't as addicting or fun as the arcade, since you kind of played them on your own.

So:
          Spy Hunter
          Elevator Action
          Track & Field
          Burgertime
          Defender
          Gauntlet
          Smash TV later on, because this was a partner game and was in the basement arcade of my college's Student Union, and my editor colleagues and I spent hours upon hours playing this when we should have been working on our Student Newspaper!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            I'm the same age as Jefe, and the arcade was the most important place to go from age 9-15. Of course I had home arcade games, but they weren't as addicting or fun as the arcade, since you kind of played them on your own.

So:
            Spy Hunter
            Elevator Action
            Track & Field
            Burgertime
            Defender
            Gauntlet
            Smash TV later on, because this was a partner game and was in the basement arcade of my college's Student Union, and my editor colleagues and I spent hours upon hours playing this when we should have been working on our Student Newspaper!
            Ah man, Elevator Action was awesome. Spy Hunter too.

My first semester of college (1988) we had a Track & Field in the fraternity house and I played that things for hours. Always had broken pencils around for the lever action.

Comment

Civ 1&2
              Bards Tale 1&2
              Their Finest Hour (Battle of Brittan air combat simulator)
              M.U.L.E.
              MechWarrior

There was also some drag racing game that I played a ton. You started out with some old jalopy and raced people for money to upgrade your car components, or raced them for pink slips so you could take their car. The goal was to finally beat "The King" and get his car, but I can't remember the name of the game.

Also the X and O football game that had real player names.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                it's weird - I never learned - nor had any interest in learning - how to completely dominate that game. I was more of a whirling dervish who was maybe a "fast twitch" guy or something. but I made it work, constantly killing a target at the last split-second.

I ran across one about 15 years ago, and spent 15 minutes playing on one quarter. funny, because I was all over the place physically because I wasn't doing the 'science' so much as the passion. worked up plenty of perspiration.

was in Nashville in February, and downtown there is sort of a retro/ironic old video game bar that is popular with a young crowd.

took one more spin on Galaga. wasn't quite as successful - but definitely still some 'twitch' left in this old dog.

Avalanche is long forgotten, but there are some similarities. game keeps getting more and more difficult, and you have to intensify your scrambling. but if you're 'one with the machine' you can keep nailing last-second salvages.
                This is my history with Galaga as well. Never learned the tricks, but could usually set the high score mark.

My first video game was Pong.

Most of my video was after my teenage years and was part of the bar life. Donkey Kong was the star of that show if Foosball, darts or pool were absent.

Comment

Ah... Street Rod

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Baseball Stars
                    Tecmo Bowl
                    Super Mario Bros
                    Contra
                    Legend of Zelda
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Baseball Stars
                      Tecmo Bowl
                      Super Mario Bros
                      Contra
                      Legend of Zelda
                      What was I thinking to leave out Contra, Zelda and Tecmo Bowl? Terrible oversight by me.

Comment

There was also a game at the Beach Club I worked at as a cabana boy that I mastered: Heavy Barrel. That was the only game I ever beat.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          There was also a game at the Beach Club I worked at as a cabana boy that I mastered: Heavy Barrel. That was the only game I ever beat.
                          Was that the one with the otters?

Comment

This thread makes me feel so young.

I had NES from around age 5-10, SNES age 11-15.

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (Peaked at reaching Tyson and getting destroyed by him. Still cannot beat it to this day, in fact I've totally lost my touch.)
                            Super Mario Brothers 3 (beating it felt like a real accomplishment. It took years of re-visiting to finally be able to complete. That hellfire world at the end was rough.)
                            NHL 94 (played to death and figured out all the glitches, eventually could win every game 50-0)
                            Earthbound (RPG with humor, emotional depth, unpredictability, and at the end boss of the game, you win by "praying" over and over. Real trippy game, which I've just been re-visiting.)
                            Silent Hill (This was released when I was 16, and having already enjoyed the first 2 Resident Evil games, I thought I was prepared, but this one scared the shit out of me.)
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I would be remiss not to mention the hours on end I spent playing Super Tecmo Bowl in college. We literally had 32 guys each take a team and played out an entire season at one point.

Also, Baseball Simulator 1000. Wow that music takes me back.

Last edited by Jefe; 05-23-2020, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Early teens, similar to DMT, love Baseball Stars and RBI Baseball. Zelda, Ice Hockey (small, medium, fat players) all on Nintendo.

College years we player hours of NHL 94 (Sega), Golden Eye, Madden and Mario Kart (N64).

Golden Eye may have been most fun as a group.

Comment

Working...
                                X