Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cats are not special among animals

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    My 18-year-old cat Billy (which means "cat" in Hindi) died last week after going into kidney failure. He was a tuxedo and everyone who met him liked him, even people who generally don't like cats. I'd had him since he was about two weeks old. Very sad day for my family.

No idea why I'm posting it in this thread, other than I figure the other cat lovers and here will see it.
    Sorry to hear that. I really like tuxedo cats

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I really like tuxedo cats
    snob.

Sorry to hear about your kit J.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    BTW, TW recently chastised my hypocrisy for not being a vegan when I posted my frustrations about the tremendous waste happening in the meat industry right now with 100s of thousands of animals being killed and left to rot (chastising potential allies on an issue, I have found, is not a great way to win folks to your side :P). I didn't address it then, but I see absolutely no problems with Angie's eggs, which I buy from her year round. She treats those chickens like her kids. They live a great life and don't seem to mind laying the eggs and having them taken. TW, if you want to disagree with me on that, I'm open to learning your perspective. Same with eating oysters, which I mentioned to you as a vegan, as they don't have brains or pain sensors, are pretty much plants, are highly sustainable and have a lower carbon footprint than most plants, and pretty much solve every nutritional challenge vegans have.
    I care very little about the animal welfare aspect in comparison with most vegans. I recognize the unnecessary suffering of animals, but I'm mainly concerned with sustainability. That's why I believe it may be less moral to support small farms than factory farms. At least factory farming is efficient. We receive 1/20th of the caloric content we feed meat animals, so we could easily solve world hunger as well as the planet. I have no delusions of changing any minds on veganism. I just want to crush the delusions of others, who seem to think all the science showing all of the disastrous effects of the industry are somehow avoidable if you hunt for your meat or eat bi-valves, or whatever. It cannot be scaled up so the only solution is to consume less. The only solution is to consume less, but humans aren't built for that. We deserve our impending destruction, black-hole world eating selfish shits that we are.

Oysters do not require creating food to fatten them, so that eliminates the waste of forests clear cut for meat animal feed. But it still can't be scaled up, so although it may be ethically fine, it's not a solution.

I couldn't do so much lawn cutting if I were a Jainist. We are bound by many societal factors to contribute to death, vegans and non-vegans alike. But talking grasshoppers is a distraction, the fact is that cows, chickens, and pigs have overwhelmed the planet's resources, not insects... besides, meat animals require more farming (killing field critters) to feed the cows and pigs than the amount of food I consume, so that's not a valid argument.

Nullnor is gonna take you to the shed.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

We have 2 cats - sisters and they are a year and a half old - we had sister cats before that for about 15 years

I suggest that you get them in sibling pairs - not really much more work and they bond well during times when you are not at home

and as a special bonus you can teach the following cat biology lesson and watch people make a scrunchy uncomfortable face (at least my students do)
    My cats look similarish to each other - but have totally different markings and colors - WHY? -Superfecundation

fun fact - They could have different fathers
    when cats are ovulating the window of opportunity is a few days and if they are strays...

we had two cats - siblings - for 17 years.

but brother and sister. they snuggled up well especially in the later years, after chasing each other all over as kittens.

he never got tired of the "flashlight game" that she figured out at about 1 year old.

he used to wait anxiously at the door when it got close to time for me to arrive home, like a dog.

she never warmed up to my wife and sometimes hissed at her. but she purred like hell for me. it was amusing (to me, anyway).

ok - even though they were fixed - on occasion he absentmindedly would start humping her. neither one seemed into it, and he'd soon walk away. tough to erase that basic instinct, I guess.

entering 37th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    horrendous final week dropped me from a shot at 3rd to 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 AUCTION candidates (keep up to 11)
    SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Cueto 1, Marquez 10
    RP Stanek 8
    C Realmuto 13, 1O Belt 10, SS BCrawford 9
    OF CDickerson 17, O1 Cooper 10, JDyson 8

Thanks fellas.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    But talking grasshoppers is a distraction, the fact is that cows, chickens, and pigs have overwhelmed the planet's resources, not insects... besides, meat animals require more farming (killing field critters) to feed the cows and pigs than the amount of food I consume, so that's not a valid argument.
    Actually, talking grasshoppers is relevant to your specific carbon footprint concerns. People need protein and eating insects gives that for a much, much smaller impact on the environment. It is a heavy lift, as Americans think they are gross, but no grosser than shellfish. Lobsters and crabs are just big ugly bugs and millions pay big for them. I just saw a black crayfish walking across the street near my upstate NY home (never seen one just wondering around far from water), and I thought it was a massive scorpion at first. No different from bugs, really.

Also, of the animals you mention, if you aren't concerned about the ethical treatment of them and their intelligence and such, then your number 1 target has to be cows. They are by far the most damaging animals we consume in terms of environmental impact. It isn't close.

Also, also, about scalability, I think, ironically since you are a vegan, you are over-estimating the dietary meat needs of people. I know everyone in the world eating oysters all day isn't practical, but in terms of nutritional deficits, mainly B vitamins, they are more than met from a vegan eating just 3 oz of oysters once every couple of weeks (that is about 6 oysters a month--not a lot). And if you hate them and have slightly more tolerance for eating brainless animals that may or may not still be more animal like than oysters, you can add clams, mussels, and scallops, as I have, for variety. All are high in protein, all can be eaten very sparingly with little environmental impact (although in some cases, a bit more than oysters), and all knock the B vitamins out of the park.

The only reason some vegans who eat oysters don't eat the other bivalves is that they are motive--they can move around in response to external stimulus, despite not having brains. But that is hardly proof that they suffer, and again, the whole quartet are basically custom designed to allow for a healthy, sustainable long term vegan diet. Just a few ounces of them every couple of weeks is enough to let vegans be vegan the rest of the time without the potential nutritional deficits they face without them (you can also get B12 from fortified breakfast cereals).
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-20-2020 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    My 18-year-old cat Billy (which means "cat" in Hindi) died last week after going into kidney failure. He was a tuxedo and everyone who met him liked him, even people who generally don't like cats. I'd had him since he was about two weeks old. Very sad day for my family.

No idea why I'm posting it in this thread, other than I figure the other cat lovers and here will see it.
    Wow, you had him for 18 years--that is longer than most marriages! When my dog died, I took solace in knowing we gave him a great life. I'm sure Hindi had a great life with you.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Steve 2.0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

You Vegans seem to be an angry bunch.
    Actually, I think it's just TW that's really angry.
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?