No announcement yet.

Cats are not special among animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we had two cats - siblings - for 17 years.

but brother and sister. they snuggled up well especially in the later years, after chasing each other all over as kittens.

he never got tired of the "flashlight game" that she figured out at about 1 year old.

he used to wait anxiously at the door when it got close to time for me to arrive home, like a dog.

she never warmed up to my wife and sometimes hissed at her. but she purred like hell for me. it was amusing (to me, anyway).

ok - even though they were fixed - on occasion he absentmindedly would start humping her. neither one seemed into it, and he'd soon walk away. tough to erase that basic instinct, I guess.

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Thanks fellas.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        But talking grasshoppers is a distraction, the fact is that cows, chickens, and pigs have overwhelmed the planet's resources, not insects... besides, meat animals require more farming (killing field critters) to feed the cows and pigs than the amount of food I consume, so that's not a valid argument.
        Actually, talking grasshoppers is relevant to your specific carbon footprint concerns. People need protein and eating insects gives that for a much, much smaller impact on the environment. It is a heavy lift, as Americans think they are gross, but no grosser than shellfish. Lobsters and crabs are just big ugly bugs and millions pay big for them. I just saw a black crayfish walking across the street near my upstate NY home (never seen one just wondering around far from water), and I thought it was a massive scorpion at first. No different from bugs, really.

Also, of the animals you mention, if you aren't concerned about the ethical treatment of them and their intelligence and such, then your number 1 target has to be cows. They are by far the most damaging animals we consume in terms of environmental impact. It isn't close.

Also, also, about scalability, I think, ironically since you are a vegan, you are over-estimating the dietary meat needs of people. I know everyone in the world eating oysters all day isn't practical, but in terms of nutritional deficits, mainly B vitamins, they are more than met from a vegan eating just 3 oz of oysters once every couple of weeks (that is about 6 oysters a month--not a lot). And if you hate them and have slightly more tolerance for eating brainless animals that may or may not still be more animal like than oysters, you can add clams, mussels, and scallops, as I have, for variety. All are high in protein, all can be eaten very sparingly with little environmental impact (although in some cases, a bit more than oysters), and all knock the B vitamins out of the park.

The only reason some vegans who eat oysters don't eat the other bivalves is that they are motive--they can move around in response to external stimulus, despite not having brains. But that is hardly proof that they suffer, and again, the whole quartet are basically custom designed to allow for a healthy, sustainable long term vegan diet. Just a few ounces of them every couple of weeks is enough to let vegans be vegan the rest of the time without the potential nutritional deficits they face without them (you can also get B12 from fortified breakfast cereals).
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-20-2020, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          My 18-year-old cat Billy (which means "cat" in Hindi) died last week after going into kidney failure. He was a tuxedo and everyone who met him liked him, even people who generally don't like cats. I'd had him since he was about two weeks old. Very sad day for my family.

No idea why I'm posting it in this thread, other than I figure the other cat lovers and here will see it.
          Wow, you had him for 18 years--that is longer than most marriages! When my dog died, I took solace in knowing we gave him a great life. I'm sure Hindi had a great life with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

You Vegans seem to be an angry bunch.
            Actually, I think it's just TW that's really angry.
            “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              It appears you want to have a debate with Nully on cats. Although the title of the thread seems to be a bit...unkind or maybe of a trolling nature.

It then seems to switch over to a vegan rant and not about cats at all.

You Vegans seem to be an angry bunch.
              You call me engaging Nullnor directly "trolling"? Did you ever notice who started the thread called "Nullnor is amazing"?

I said nothing angry in this thread, so your assessment is 100% bullshit. Now you got me angry.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

You call me engaging Nullnor directly "trolling"? Did you ever notice who started the thread called "Nullnor is amazing"?

I said nothing angry in this thread, so your assessment is 100% bullshit. Now you got me angry.
                You forgot to say "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry". Man...do I have to do all the heavy lifting around here?

Comment

My 18-year-old cat Billy (which means "cat" in Hindi) died last week after going into kidney failure. He was a tuxedo and everyone who met him liked him, even people who generally don't like cats. I'd had him since he was about two weeks old. Very sad day for my family.

No idea why I'm posting it in this thread, other than I figure the other cat lovers and here will see it.
                  RIP Billy.

I like songs that can be re-purposed, so here's a fitting tribute to your lost companion.

"I'm gonna miss you, Billy
                  And though I"m trying
                  I"m hurting so bad, Billy
                  I can't help crying.
                  Which way you going, Billy?
                  Or need I ask?
                  Cause you don't want me, Billy
                  You're free at last."

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                    You forgot to say "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry". Man...do I have to do all the heavy lifting around here?
                    Yes, there are two of you - you can lift it from both sides. The rest of us have to wrangle it up by ourselves.

Comment

I am sorry for your loss. Pets are a big part of some/our families and the loss is heavy and sad.

Billy meaning cat makes me smile and I thank you for sharing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Yes, there are two of you - you can lift it from both sides. The rest of us have to wrangle it up by ourselves.
                        But I'm too lazy to do the heavy lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                          But I'm too lazy to do the heavy lifting.
                          What about that otter guy though?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            What about that otter guy though?
                            According to Wikipedia, otters are the only marine animals capable of lifting and turning over rocks. Learn something new every day.

Comment

I did not call you anything. I did use terms "appears" and "seems a bit." I am glad you did not write the OP angry and I thank you for clarifying.

The angry vegan comment was meant to amuse you and the other readers and not to offend.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                                According to Wikipedia, otters are the only marine animals capable of lifting and turning over rocks. Learn something new every day.
                                See. Heavy lifting.

Get to work Steves

Comment

Working...
                                X